2001 VW Beetle TDI turbo not working...

pathand1

TDI
2001 VW Beetle
Turbo not working. Fault code #17964....charge pressure control-negative deviation.

Does this relate to the turbo? If so is there a module or component that controls the turbo that could be malfunctioning...or could the turbo be malfunctioning by itself?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
It's what controls the turbo vanes. They are vacuum actuated.

Canadian_Grizzly

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Negative pressure is often one of your large hoses coming from the turbo. Ensure that one hasn't cracked or slipped off. The link in my signature will also give you some other information.

SRHeer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf - 2001 Beetle
Mine was a cracked line going to the brake booster - as it gets old and hot it turns brittle and cracks with vibration - replaced that and my turbo worked fine thereafter

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
How many miles on the car? There can be wear in the vane control mechanism. If you have a VCDS, you can watch the graph of the requested boost vs. actual boost.

On my Golf, my actual boost takes a while to build to the requested level. After checking everything, I think is it the control ring in the exhaust housing. I believe it has too much wear and while everything else (vacuum lines, N75, actuator, intake hoses, etc.) checks out OK, the boost is very slow to build. And I'm not working right now, so just buying a new one isn't in the budget. :(

Cheers,

PH