Shattered sunroof

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Now when I drop a car off I take out my cellphone and video the exterior and interior of the car, that way I have a record of it for the future. Only takes seconds but I think people are more diligent with my car when they see me doing it. Haven't had a problem since.
I like this idea!

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The Return of the Golf TDI

Don't you wish they just called you up and told you they scratched the hell out of your paint and it'll be a while longer? :)
Of course, I would have preferred the direct approach.

As an update, picked up the TDI on Monday, and the cargo cover last night. All appears to be in good working condition. With decent weather and a couple of meetings outside of my normal commute, have enjoyed some quality highway miles the last couple of days. :D

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Now when I drop a car off I take out my cellphone and video the exterior and interior of the car, that way I have a record of it for the future. Only takes seconds but I think people are more diligent with my car when they see me doing it. Haven't had a problem since.
I think the pictures I took with my phone were very helpful with the rooftop paint discussions; next time it goes into the shop, I'm breaking out the Flip.

klomp63

TDI
2013 passat TDI SEL
My sunroof exploded on my 2013 Passat driving down the highway on Sept 20. Dealer and customer care have refused to cover it stating outside influence. The roof and windows were closed when it exploded. I also had significant paint damage and it is still being fixed under insurance. I did find another case like this on the NHTSA DOT website. This does not appear to be a rare occurrence. I as well was very disappointed by VW's lack of concern and customer support on this.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I would keep fighting vw on this what outside influences??? That sucks :confused:

My sunroof exploded on my 2013 Passat driving down the highway on Sept 20. Dealer and customer care have refused to cover it stating outside influence. The roof and windows were closed when it exploded. I also had significant paint damage and it is still being fixed under insurance. I did find another case like this on the NHTSA DOT website. This does not appear to be a rare occurrence. I as well was very disappointed by VW's lack of concern and customer support on this.

misternoggin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Ours just shattered a few days ago. My wife was driving on a rural highway, no cars in front or behind her, nothing had passed her in a while, and the sunroof shattered.

This will actually be the second time the sunroof is replaced in this car. A few weeks after purchase, it became misaligned and destroyed itself. It's very frustrating that something that was such a big draw for the car has been nothing but trouble for us.

The dealer told us to have it towed in, and gave us a loaner. Now VW is refusing the warranty claim saying it must have been outside influence. Since they have covered others under similar circumstances, I'm not planning to go quietly. For those of you who have gotten this covered, what was your argument?

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Just another posting about problems with sunroofs. Either they leak, rattle or don't work. Explain to me again why drivers want them in their cars?

misternoggin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Just another posting about problems with sunroofs. Either they leak, rattle or don't work. Explain to me again why drivers want them in their cars?
I've had them in two other cars with well over 300k miles combined, and had no problems with either.

Thanks for the helpful response though.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
People want what they want. Stop trying to dig on people or puff your chest up bc you didn't buy one and feel superior

Our JSW has the pano and DSG, I was told the trans will explode and the roof will leak. Awesome, thanks. 60K+ and zero issues, but this thread does make me very nervous if this happened with me, my wife and 2 kids on our 500 mile Thanksgiving weekend. It would ruin our weekend among other things.

misternoggin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Well, it looks like they'll be covering it. I'm not sure what convinced them. I followed up with VW customer service, told them I thought it should be covered, asked for proof it was outside influence. They followed up later saying it would be.

So a bit of a hassle, but much easier than I expected.

ksucats96

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
2012 Jetta TDI w/ Sunroof, 35,5xx mi
Sunroof just exploded Saturday 2/28/2015. Parked outside, 23F, I was driving down the street and heard wind noise, looked up, and a hole. It is bulging outward, shattered. Some small glass fragments on the seats.Dropped it off at the dealer to get it out of the weather. Service dept. hasn't called yet to update. Crown VW Lawrence, KS. Will keep you posted.

LaTuFu

TDI
2010 JSW, 2005 Passat Wagon BHW
Yeah, really frustrating to see how the corporate offices make the dealers treat customers.

It is not exclusive to VW or car dealerships, unfortunately.

My wife had a minor accident in the last storm we had, but it has resulted in several 000s on the insurance claim damage.

A very large, very well known insurance company with good hands has made the process equal parts easy and frustrating.

Rental car? No problem--but you can only have thismuch money to rent one. Only OEM parts? No problem--if we can find a used part with the same or less miles in a junkyard nearby, we're going to use that instead of NIB. Your car was AWD? We don't care, we're only replacing the one tire that was damaged, not all 4 as we really should. The winshield was damaged in the accident? We're going to dispute that, it looks like it was damaged prior to the accident. We're going to make this a separate claim and make you satisfy the deductible. Oh you talked to your agent and he bent the ear of our field adjuster, who then okayed the windshield to go under the claim? We have another guy who you never knew was part of this process, he said no.

Every one of these obstacles they threw at me was dealt with and eventually no longer a problem. But they made sure it was a time consuming process that required me to speak to multiple parties. If I didn't almost enjoy the challenge of making sure a major corporation did what they were legally required to do, I might have given up on it myself. If I had, I would have received an inferior repair that was less than what I was entitled to under the terms of my policy.

All of these big companies work very hard to make the process of you getting what is right and fair (and in some cases, required by law!) as much of a pain in the ass as possible. Like someone said earlier in this thread, they're counting on the 95% who will just give up and pay for it out of pocket just to not have to deal with the aggravation.

Last edited:

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
After reading a number of your posts over time I have a question for you. Do you ever have anything good to say? You must be a real joy to be around in real life...

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
2012 Jetta TDI w/ Sunroof, 35,5xx mi
Sunroof just exploded Saturday 2/28/2015. Parked outside, 23F, I was driving down the street and heard wind noise, looked up, and a hole. It is bulging outward, shattered. Some small glass fragments on the seats.Dropped it off at the dealer to get it out of the weather. Service dept. hasn't called yet to update. Crown VW Lawrence, KS. Will keep you posted.
Look at that mileage. I'd say it exploded just in time. Should be under warranty right? Or are you out of the 36 months with a 2012? Good luck with it. Hope they take care of it.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
@emerscape - "Did you put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put the balm on!"

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Wawa to Caribou

I smell a lawsuit. :D
The dealership has juice, water, coffee, snack bars in the waiting lounge. We're probably even by now. On the morning the sunroof shattered, I think I went into the terminal at RIC and picked up a Caribou (coffee).

Last edited:

jgueld

TDI
09 JSW
Hi ... same thing happened to my 09. It was parked in my attached garage, heard a loud pop and found the sunroof had shattered, pushed out like in the photos above, tiny shards on the seats. Duck tapped the whole thing inside and out, drove it to the dealer this morning who diagnosed it as "sunroof is cracked," ordered a replacement ... called VW Customer Support and she asked for the cause ... duh! Did open a file; waiting and hoping the duck tape will hold until the glass comes in.