TDI noob with tough buying decision

tfox

TDI
None (yet)
Hi everyone, I'm glad to see that there's such an enthusiastic and knowledgeable group of people for TDIs.

I come seeking advice. My situation:

I just graduated college, took a job offer, and am moving near the Philadelphia region (most likely West Chester). I've always been a fan of VWs, and diesel cars in general. Since the job I took is in the consulting field, which usually requires frequent road travel, I'm considering the Jetta TDI as a first car specifically because of its ability to cover long distances with good mileage and longevity. I'll be starting June 21st, and more than likely moving before June 14th, so my time frame for buying is two weeks or less.

In my area of New Jersey, though, there don't seem to be a whole lot of used TDIs at all, and the ones that are around are high miles and at least a decade old. Today, after a week of watching craigslist and other auto ad sites, I saw a beige '04 GLS TDI 5-speed wagon go up, and my father and I checked it out tonight. It has 54k on the odometer, and they're asking book value for it, which is $14,200. It felt okay on a test drive, but I'd only previously driven one other Jetta TDI - the newer generation. In comparison to the latest-gen Jetta that my dad leased while I was in high school, it felt a little bit cramped and slightly dated.

I'm not sure what the standard features are on the GLS, but this one has heated leather seats, sunroof, and alloy wheels.

It has a couple of minor dents on the driver-side door, and apparently either the door panel or the front quarter panel was replaced at some point due to a parking lot collision (though no airbag deployment, as carfax would indicate).

The salesman gave the fact that it was bought and serviced at the same dealer for 6 years as a selling point, but I'm not sure this is particularly significant, since there doesn't seem to have been much other than scheduled maintenance and the repair done to it.

Financing is guessed to be around 6%, and I can put about 30% down (I can probably pay down a lot of it in a year).

The other option I'm exploring is simply buying a new base TDI. The initial investment is more, but it seems like the cost of ownership over the 7 or so years I would plan on owning it might not be that much higher. The only issue with that is that I would have to buy it today or tomorrow morning to get the $1300 tax credit, if that still applies. My friend says that I could realistically talk the price down to about $22k even. With all the headaches of working out used car issues and pricing, it's looking more and more attractive.

The third and worst-case scenario would be that the other car sells tomorrow or this weekend after deciding not to go with the new TDI, at which point I would likely be considering taking a lease on a Honda and just eating any mileage allowance overages.

I'd be grateful for any advice you guys might have.

Thanks a lot in advance.

- Tony

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Can you work on your own car? I would save some of the money on the down payment to get the car up to snuff if. The 04 could need a cam depending on the oils that were used so opening the valve cover is a must and can help you drop the price if it needs a cam. Also all TDI's should get a metal skid plate under the engine so there is another $300 to spend. If you can't turn a wrench very well then the newer one would be maybe a little better for you then but then you have the faster depreciation. Good luck getting anyone to come down in there prices as there is to much demand for dealers to come down. Most will just laugh at you for attempting. You would have better luck getting some off the used ones. Don't let any of the dealers know your situation. I got a lot knocked off my Golf because I didn't need it and VW's don't sell as good here and they had the car for a while. Most of these cars will be older and have miles as most have the same reason as you for owning one. And from 07-08 they didn't make one in the US so that makes the used ones even more older.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
First, welcome to the tdiclub. FWIW, do not buy a tdi off of:

1 Craigslist
2 Ebay
3 Dealer or independent shop
4 Vortex

You do not want to by a car that was:

A. serviced by a dealer
B. driven by a woman
C. owned by a cheap b*stard

You do not want any tdi with an automatic transmission (01m8u2/Failtronic/DSG german for fail).

I would recommend that you only buy a used tdi off of this site that can withstand the criticism of the membership. Member 3193 is a dealer near your local who has the best pricing on new tdis.

Btw, the Eagles suck and I am just kidding about the woman thing. :D

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
I bought an 04 wagon 5 speed with 45K miles last summer for $12K, one owner, service records, no body damage, looked close to perfect. That was the book value. I'm not sure where you get $14.5K but maybe that's the option package.

You need to check to see if the glowplug recall has been done, and if the egr cooler recall has been done. Any dealer should be able to tell you. If the car has the original bosch ceramic plugs, I would pass on it. They have been known to break, and when they do, major engine damage often occurs. In fact, that's probably a big part of why the recall was cancelled. They were breaking during removal, which created many problems for the dealers. The replacement plugs and ECU reprogramming resulted in cold start problems for some users; mine is fine, but I don't ever have really cold weather in south TX. So, find out about the recall; if it was done, try to make sure it was done before last winter, so there's at least some evidence that it will start in cold weather.

The egr cooler recall is a much simpler situation; the only potential problem is that the dealer might not have installed the new egr cooler correctly. It's easy to have someone check it.

Lots of people will mention the camshaft wear issues with the PD engine, which is what's on the 04. With only 54K miles, I would not worry too much about it as long as the correct oil (VW spec 505.01) has been used. You should have service records that show the specific oil put in by the dealer. There will be a part number which you can then check at any dealer's parts counter. Probably the worst case scenario with the cam is that you would need to replace it at 100K miles along with the timing belt, adding approximately $1,000 (maybe a little more) to the job. This works out to one penny/mile added operating cost. If you buy the car, I would suggest you use 5W40 oil, not the 5W30 currently used by the dealer. There are lengthy discussions about specific oils for PD engines, with all sorts of opinions. Have fun reading!

Overall I'm very happy with my 04 wagon, but I did have a nightmare with the dealer shortly after buying the car. This forum was very helpful to me in getting it resolved.

The new TDIs have a totally different engine that is getting rave reviews, but there are some very expensive parts in the exhaust and fuel systems. Nobody really knows what the longevity is on those parts, and if I'm not mistaken the new VW warranty is only 3 yrs/36K miles. That's an absolute disgrace, and combined with the fact that a new car ties you to the dealer, it would be enough to make me very reluctant to buy a new one.

Getting back to the glowplugs on the 04, lets say just for the sake of argument that you buy the car and it turns out to still have the originals. What I would do at this point is find an excellent TDI mechanic, and call Jeff at rocketchip tune. Make an appointment to have the glowplugs taken out by the local mechanic, make SURE that all four come out with complete tips on them, and send the ECU to rocketchip to get his reflash, which will make the car compatible with the new (different voltage) glowplugs, and make the car run much better at the same time. It'll cost a bit of money right at the beginning, but you'll still be spending way less than on a new car, and you can have the luxury of avoiding the VW dealership.

tfox

TDI
None (yet)
coalminer16 said:
Can you work on your own car? I would save some of the money on the down payment to get the car up to snuff if. The 04 could need a cam depending on the oils that were used so opening the valve cover is a must and can help you drop the price if it needs a cam. Also all TDI's should get a metal skid plate under the engine so there is another $300 to spend. If you can't turn a wrench very well then the newer one would be maybe a little better for you then but then you have the faster depreciation.
Well, I don't know what I'm capable of since I haven't owned a car yet, but I don't have any wrenches to turn, and likely won't have as much free time as I would like once I start my job.

I'm guessing that since the car was supposedly serviced at the dealer, and those events would show up on carfax, that it hasn't had the glow plug recall done (unless this wouldn't be noted specifically in the history). I don't know if dealer scheduled oil changes would show up either, but I'm wondering where the old owner took it after the couple of freebies were done. When I asked about service records, the sales guy, who seemed to be primarily a GM guy, even though the dealer is licensed by VW, claimed that even if they had them they'd be withheld due to privacy concerns. I honestly think this is bull****, since they could easily omit names, but what do I know. He also sheepishly asked me to back the car back into the space, since he can't drive stick (!).

For some reason, carfax isn't loading right now, but here's the link. It'll show a collision which is claimed to be minor and parking lot related, and not much else.

After some poking around, it does look like the deadline for the tax credit is actually the end of June and not May, but know that it's based on number sold, and it might go away by the time I go to buy. But it is nice because it doesn't force me to make a decision today, and would allow me to buy the car once I'm on a lease and can claim residence in PA to save a few hundred bucks on tax.

I guess what it comes down to is whether I like that '04 enough to put a deposit on it so that it doesn't go away. I do like it, but at the same time I don't really need or want some of the luxury features, am ambivalent about the body style, and I've got reservations now about the issues you folks have brought to my attention.

Maybe I should just buy a used econobox and save this decision for a few months down the road when I have a better idea where I am.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
price is High, car is worth 11-12K. Don't get in a hurry, you'll find one you like.

On new cars, I'm 99% sure the credit doesn't go away completly, it just gets cut in half after the first 60,000 cars, DYODD.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
The way I look at it, you said you could put about 30% down on this car soooo $5kish almost? Look around the cars for sale section here on the forums and you should be able to find one you pay cash for. It'll be a little older, and have a few more miles, but will probably be worth it over one with questionable history.

tfox

TDI
None (yet)
Perhaps it might be worth it (if the seller has a good reputation) to put a deposit on a car for sale here, fly over, and drive it back. There just don't seem to be many in my state, and I don't have the car to drive to see them. I'd almost rather buy one sight unseen from someone trustworthy and honest who knows their car than from a dealer that's only dealt with one TDI in months.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
yea im 99 percent sure mine is being sold from teh boards here and i sold it for 5200. Its an 02 auto with 183k but its a damn good car even if it is an auto.

tfox

TDI
None (yet)
Yeah I dunno, I think I'd rather stick with a 5-speed if I can manage it... there's just something about paying more for a less reliable transmission that isn't as fun :rolleyes:

dbhyslop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Keep in mind that TDIs are enthusiasts' cars. They have a lot of quirks and idiosyncrasies. They're great cars, but because they're different and there aren't as many on the road most mechanics (even dealerships!) can't be trusted to take care of them. Because of this, most of us either take car of our cars ourselves or rely on a trusted mechanic who specializes in TDIs. Either way, the key to success is a commitment to educating yourself about the car and knowing what to expect. For the car you're looking at, part of that is understanding there's a debate about what oil is best, realizing it probably has not been given the right oil and accepting that there may be a new camshaft in your future one day.

For most of us, managing these things is part of the enjoyment of owning a TDI. This is also why someone asked if you can turn a wrench--it makes it a lot easier. But even if you find a mechanic for it, you'll have the best results if you learn to be the car's "manager." That's more effort than most people want to put into their cars, but I think it's single most important factor that determines if someone will be happy with a TDI in the long run.

Good luck,

Dan

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
tfox said:
Yeah I dunno, I think I'd rather stick with a 5-speed if I can manage it... there's just something about paying more for a less reliable transmission that isn't as fun :rolleyes:
Well said!!

thebigarniedog said:
FWIW, do not buy a tdi off of:

1 Craigslist
2 Ebay
3 Dealer or independent shop
4 Vortex
Well, that doesn't leave a lot of options now does it? FWIW, I bought mine via Ebay from a used car dealer four years ago. It's been a really good experience so far, but maybe I just got lucky...

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
tfox said:
Perhaps it might be worth it (if the seller has a good reputation) to put a deposit on a car for sale here, fly over, and drive it back. There just don't seem to be many in my state, and I don't have the car to drive to see them. I'd almost rather buy one sight unseen from someone trustworthy and honest who knows their car than from a dealer that's only dealt with one TDI in months.

I think you should take my previous advice and only purchase a car off of the tdi club classified section. I offer you this advice as you are admittedly unfamiliar with these cars and in an effort to avoid what appears to be the inevitable screwing that is heading your way.

My problem with the dealership and the classified way of buying these cars (i.e. ebay/craigslist etc) is that the seller can conceal the prior history of the car and the prior service (or lack thereof) on the car. You are buying "as is" so you will pay to correct their prior misuse or prior failure to service the car.

There have been a number of notable examples wherein people were advised of problems with their car and rather then fix those problems, they simply listed and sold it to an unsuspecting person on ebay. It is generally referred to as an "offload job". You can't post on ebay, so a dishonest seller can simply ignore questions they are uncomfortable with answering. The end result is a stuck buyer.

Dealerships generally buy vehicles at auctions, spruce them up and sell them. Unless it is in writing, it never happened. Again, you are generally buying as is.

These cars require correct servicing. You will find that the dealerships (most, but not all) cannot or will not correctly service these cars. The good thing about this site's classified section is that you can research the car at issue, so when that arseclown bragged of downshifting from over one hundred miles per hour to first gear, someone will post it up. When the guy who tooefed his car by running WVO fails to state that in their sales ad, it will be findable, if not posted up. You can publically ask the seller questions on the specific service performed. You really can sort the wheat from the chaff so too speak. You can't do any of this on ebay or craigslist.

You said this is a first car and that you do not own any tools. I will stress again that you should use this site and do not be afraid to ask a local guru to go with you to ask any questions that need asked. The people on this forum generally (with exceptions) will go out of their way to help you.

You would be better off buying a brand new tdi, then a used tdi IMHO if you can't do this. Good luck

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I'd buy the new one. Your going to be using this car for work. If you miss work because your car is broke down, and you don't have any tools to fix it, might not get paid that day. You will get a warranty on the new car, and you will usually get a loaner if your car is down for more than a day. Might cost more upfront but it will (should) last longer. Plus you get that new car smell, plus you will know all the maintnance history. Just my .02$ Good luck with your decision.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
tfox said:
Haha, I'll be in the Trenton area either Monday or Tuesday, I'll be driving my '01 (link in sig) I've got for sale over there :D

tfox

TDI
None (yet)
WVU TDI said:
Haha, I'll be in the Trenton area either Monday or Tuesday, I'll be driving my '01 (link in sig) I've got for sale over there :D
I wouldn't know where to start when considering a car like yours. I'm wary of the problem you mentioned - replacement tires might only cost 200, but fitting them is going to cost at least another 50, and the uncertainty of the actual root cause concerns me. I think I'd be more interested in something larger than the golf that's closer to stock.

I'm headed out to test drive a new TDI tonight. If it goes well and I can't find a suitable used car, I'll see if I can check out 3193's offerings since Langhorne is closer to where I'll be than Bernardsville.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
D-Cell_Mekanick said:
I'd buy the new one. Your going to be using this car for work. If you miss work because your car is broke down, and you don't have any tools to fix it, might not get paid that day. You will get a warranty on the new car, and you will usually get a loaner if your car is down for more than a day. Might cost more upfront but it will (should) last longer. Plus you get that new car smell, plus you will know all the maintnance history. Just my .02$ Good luck with your decision.
I have to disagree. Our 99.5 with 238K is probably MORE reliable than it was new, mainly due to tdiclub.:eek:

It does not mean that it doesn't need maintenance or parts. Heck, the whole front suspension is torn apart right now due to worn struts and other parts. Still way cheaper than a new car. A new TDI is $25,000+. That's a dang lot of money!:eek: Especially it comes with the "reverse lottery ticket" with that HPFP and DPF. We bought the 04 PD for less than a HPFP failure. :eek:

tfox

TDI
None (yet)
Yeah, but that's your car. That's not the car sitting in a primarily-GM lot in Summit, NJ. If I bought that, and say I didn't have the time to get the glow plugs replaced, or the cams go wonky and the engine explodes. I am SOL, there's no second car I can fall back on, and then I'm looking at an engine head rebuild which knocks out most, if all of the initial savings I'd get by not buying a new car. I don't really know the history, so it's a crapshoot. That's true of all used cars without histories, but it seems like the sentiment I'm getting is that TDIs are worse for wear than Japanese imports and likelier to protest in financially ruinous ways when neglected.

I test drove a 2010 Jetta TDI and was very impressed with the power and comfort. It didn't choke out and strain the way the '04 did. I'm sure part of this has to do with not being six years old, but if I'm going to be married to the car I choose for many years as seems to be the case with a lot of tdi owners, I'm positive I will appreciate this more over time.

I still have a while to ponder it though, since some talk with the salesman revealed that to take advantage of any month-end wiggle room in the price, I'd have to take delivery on it immediately, which would mean I'd be paying a percent more in tax and having to re-register it unnecessarily. Their model was also stickered at 24 and change because it had a couple of other options I don't feel that I need.

Bellyman

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon 5-speed
I just bought an '04 Jetta GLS wagon w/ 5 speed manual for less than $10k. I bought it off of Craigs List from a private party. It had 96k miles.

Most work was done by a dealer and I got a file folder full of receipts. The last few things, though, were not done by the dealer and needed repeated (timing belt, water pump). And I did need to put in a new lift pump / fuel filter. The last oil change before I bought it wasn't the correct oil (first one not done by the dealer) so that got corrected before I drove it the first mile. So far, I've spent about $700 or so in parts / fluids (and I have extra antifreeze and oil) and done things myself. So far, the cam is in pretty good shape. Will deal with it if / when I need to.

If you buy something new, you WILL have that car payment EVERY month until it's paid for, no exceptions (not to mention higher insurance!!). And despite the warranty, there may still be things they won't want to cover. (Read through some of the threads here and you'll find a few "stealership" stories that involve them not wanting to honor their warranties.)

If you buy something used, even with good number of miles on it, for cash, you may have to spend some money on getting things fixed from time to time. Then again, you may have many months where you won't have to spend anything. Like others have said, though, you have to be a good "manager" of your car and look after it's needs and condition. If you can actually do some of the work yourself, that'll help a lot. If you're close to a guru, that might help you out significantly, too.

Oh, and one more thing... With the older VW TDIs, you'll find lots of people getting 50mpg or very close to it. You will NOT get that out of a new one. Sorry.

Despite the fact that I just bought an '04, if I were looking again, my first choice would be an '02 or '03 TDI with a manual transmission. They're out there. But if they're priced reasonably, they get scarfed up QUICK!!

Just my opinion... Best of luck,

Brian

big_ole_truck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL
Bellyman said:
Oh, and one more thing... With the older VW TDIs, you'll find lots of people getting 50mpg or very close to it. You will NOT get that out of a new one. Sorry.
Darn it, I'm so upset my new TDI can only get 46 mpg on the hwy. It's really a bummer.

My advice to the OP: used cars all have their own history and it's easy to check the service records. New cars have no history.

Not knowing anything about your finances and your comfort level to carry a monthly note, I would say buy used is the safest bet. Make an offer on a used TDI contingent on having it inspected by a mechanic of your choice and if you don't like the pre-purchase inspection, you can walk.

Somethings to keep in mind: emissions check. If you live in a state that requires one, make sure the emissions system is thoroughly checked by the mechanic.

On the other hand, it's so nice to be driving a new TDI, even if it only gets 46 mpg on the hwy. If you can afford the monthly pain, get a new one.

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
I'd second D-Cell Mekanick. If you are not a 'wrencher' yourself, the best think for you is to bay from a member of this forum (especially if they do 'wrench'). We take pride in our work and hate to see someone suffering because of another person's incompetency. Other than that, go for the new thing.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
tfox said:
....I don't really know the history, so it's a crapshoot. That's true of all used cars without histories, but it seems like the sentiment I'm getting is that TDIs are worse for wear than Japanese imports and likelier to protest in financially ruinous ways when neglected.

I test drove a 2010 Jetta TDI and was very impressed with the power and comfort. It didn't choke out and strain the way the '04 did. I'm sure part of this has to do with not being six years old...
The 04 should not strain and choke out. It kind of sounds like something is wrong. The new common rail engines are quieter, more powerful, and smoother, but they use more fuel. It's a trade off. If the new car is a sedan vs a wagon for the 04, that might be the biggest issue. I needed a wagon; they're much harder to find. If you're leaning towards a sedan anyway, maybe pass on both and keep looking.

I have a bit of unfortunate news for you; a new car is a bit of a crapshoot as well, although supposedly less so. With only a 36K mile warranty, you're on your own in less than 2 yrs if you drive even moderate highway miles for commuting/work. To me thats an outrage. If there's a 10k difference in price, I would consider the 04 less of a risk, although there will be differing opinions on that one. Stop by the parts counter and ask what the exhaust filter and high pressure fuel pump cost for the new car. I bet it's around the same as an entire new cylinder head for the 04.

The comment about only buying from TDI club classifieds is a little excessive. Anyone can post on this forum, just like craigslist or ebay. What I would suggest is that you take any potential used car to a TDI expert mechanic and pay for a very thorough pre-purchase check out. That's tough to do on ebay, easy on craigslist.

tfox

TDI
None (yet)
That TDI cup looked pretty cool, although it had already sold as of last night, and was an auto.

I understand there's still risk in a new car, but I don't have months to wait around for a good deal, and the ability to get to that deal before it's taken like others might. I also don't know any expert mechanics.

The way things are looking, I currently have three likely options:

1. I find a reasonable deal on a well-maintained tdi that's reachable from where I am (seems unlikely)
2. I take a chance on a new one and deal with the monthly payment (which shouldn't be too hellish since I don't have much student debt and have a decent job)
3. I decide to wait it out and fish for one a year or two after I move, buying or leasing a decent economy car in the meantime

The problem with searching for a used tdi is that while I have some time before I start (2-ish weeks), I don't have the time it would take to drop everything and get each prospective one checked out in turn, and I don't have the resources to drive fifty miles to reach them only to have them sell out from under me before I can check them out. That might work just fine for someone who already has a car to fall back on, but I really don't think it would work for me, because as time runs on, my list of options gets shorter.

Bellyman

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon 5-speed
My appologies, sincerely. I really did not think the new ones were doing that well. That ain't bad!! Most of the numbers for the new ones I have seen bantered about were more like the high 30s.

I stand corrected.

:)

Brian

big_ole_truck said:
Darn it, I'm so upset my new TDI can only get 46 mpg on the hwy. It's really a bummer.

My advice to the OP: used cars all have their own history and it's easy to check the service records. New cars have no history.

Not knowing anything about your finances and your comfort level to carry a monthly note, I would say buy used is the safest bet. Make an offer on a used TDI contingent on having it inspected by a mechanic of your choice and if you don't like the pre-purchase inspection, you can walk.

Somethings to keep in mind: emissions check. If you live in a state that requires one, make sure the emissions system is thoroughly checked by the mechanic.

On the other hand, it's so nice to be driving a new TDI, even if it only gets 46 mpg on the hwy. If you can afford the monthly pain, get a new one.