Replacing foglights on a Golf TDI

Camarones

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly 2010 Golf TDI 6M 4dr UGM, 2001 Golf TDI
OK I just got done replacing my damaged driver's side fog lamp assembly. I read what was posted before about the fragile tabs. I also read about the trouble accessing the passenger side assembly. Rather than utilize the Tug & Pray Method™ I decided to consult a friendly contact at the dealer I bought the replacement lamp assembly. Actually, I started out by asking the parts guy nicely if he had a diagram showing the grill (I wanted to see where the tabs were) but all he had was the parts ordering system and it had no detail of the grill. So I went over to the service department and talked to my guy over there. I asked if he had access to any diagrams of the area and while he was unsure if he could access the techs' system he gave it a solid try, and lo and behold he found the 2010 Golf FOG LAMP R&R PROCEDURE. He printed it out for me and I've taken some pics.

It merely tells you something of the nature to "release the locking tab mechanism" which is to say "get the grill off without breaking anything". Step two is to remove the torx screw holding the assembly in. No mention of *ahem* removing the wheels or fender liners or dropping the engine etc... :D

Now here is a case where the proper tool for the job makes it infinitely easier and more successful. In this case the tool is a set of cheap plastic auto trim pry tools from Harbor Freight. This allows you to work your way around the grill, gently popping one tab at a time. The plastic pry tools don't scratch the painted surfaces and if you think they will, you could always put down some painters tape.

To be fair, I did not attempt the passenger side. Why tempt fate? That assembly wasn't smashed! However, the R&R procedure makes no mention of the passenger side being any different, so I'll go out on a limb and say that with the proper tools it will be the same.

I'm uploading pics I took during the job to flickr, I'll update when they're available.

let me know if these work: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47014677@N04/sets/72157623890466131/

And before anyone mentions it, yes, I know the floormat is upside down. :|

Last edited:

Micajah

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
Camarones said:
pics.
It merely tells you something of the nature to "release the locking tab mechanism" which is to say "get the grill off without breaking anything"....
Now here is a case where the proper tool for the job makes it infinitely easier and more successful. In this case the tool is a set of cheap plastic auto trim pry tools from Harbor Freight. This allows you to work your way around the grill, gently popping one tab at a time. The plastic pry tools don't scratch the painted surfaces and if you think they will, you could always put down some painters tape.
:|
FWIW Here's a diagram where all the tabs are and in what order to attack them.
(thanks to TM Tuning for the image - I'm going to put these slimline LEDs on my JSW - that's why I needed to find out how to take the grills off)

The Fog grills and the blank grills have the same tabs. I used the same pry tools as Camarones did- pry up under the inner edge about where the #1 is - when you find the tab, press it towards the side of the car to release the tab from the center grill frame. Then pry right where the inner dogleg (2) is - there are 2 tabs one on the top and one on bottom, If you have 2 pry tools use one on top, one on bottom. Once they are released. put your fingers behind the loose edge and pull out and towards the side of the car (as if point 4 was a hinge) - the #3 tabs (two of them) are attached behind the panel (so you cant pry on them) and you have to just pull them out of their recesses (It will feel like you're going to break the vent in two, but it's very strong plastic), but not so hard that they release all at once. Otherwise you could break tab #4. The grill should be loose. Rotate it around tab #4 towards you, and slip tab 4 out of the hole. You should now be holding the side grill in your hand - in one piece.

Last edited:

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Camarones and Micajah, I was able to remove the foglight grills in about 2 minutes. Used the squeeges that I ordered along with the yellow lamin-x. The grills snap back-in easily. Sure glad I did not have to remove the fender well liner. Wanted to remove the grills to install yellow lamin-x. After removing the grills, the lamin-x install was quite simple. I did not have to do any trimming. Would suggest to anyone thinking about lamin-x on the foglights that they remove the grill. Much easier and cleaner install. I have a white TDI and the yellow looks OK. If I get tired of it, will be easy to remove. Again thanks to Camarones and Micajah for posting.

Last edited:

Bob Sacamano

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
EXCELLENT INFORMATION!

I haven't had to do this again since i initially did the fog light change in early January, but i know i will at some point.

This should be stickied or added to a DIY here or on Vortex. :)

VWCraig

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Fog Lamps burned out 2010 Golf

I replaced my Driver side fog lamp the other day with a standard 9006 bulb.. That wasn't much fun. When I got done, I turned on my lights and to my dismay, the one I replaced was fine but now the passenger fog light is out. I tried to remove the plastic cover inside the wheelwell on that side but can't get into the space where the bulb comes out. I gave up before I wasted more time. I will try to remove the assembly form the front. I was wondering if there is a motorcycle equivalent to the 9006 bulb that will withstand more shock than the original. I'm not about to have to replace these things on a scheduled basis.

cwescapexlt4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (previous 2011 JSW TDI)
Dumb question, I see that 9006 was mentioned in the post - are these the correct bulb as some of these are dual filament bulbs and wanted to make sure before taking on removing the grills to upgrade the newly installed fogs on our '11 JSW TDI.

Feyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
This was a PITA, but worth it...

I installed some PIAA Ion Crystal (yellow) bulbs in mine.

I did manage to get my grills out by just pulling, but I'd recommend putting on some shop gloves to keep from cutting your fingers. As I was pulling out the passenger side when it gave way, I litterally thought I had broken it (the sound it made), but in the end it was perfectly fine. *shrug*

1analguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 2dr 6-speed (loaded)
9006 is the correct bulb, for 2011s anyway. I had never done this before when I did mine, in the dark, out in the driveway (in the winter), with a crummy trouble light. While I admit that I was in a hurry, the whole job took less than 15 minutes, start-to-finish. It was so easy that I'll be doing it over again as soon as I find some name-brand bulbs that burn noticeably whiter than the disappointingly-yellowish Sylvania SilverStar Ultras...

By the way, I don't know if the 2010s are different than the 2011s, but on the 2011s the small grill surrounding each fog light just pops out from the front without any tools. Just grab onto the ribs and pull straight out. It was about 25 degrees F and I didn't even come close to braking any tabs, though YMMV. No rear access is required (possible?) for the passenger side light...access is from the front, same as the driver side light. That's why the job goes so quickly.

Last edited:

Bob Sacamano

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
So i just had to replace the passenger side foglight assembly as it met up with a rock at some point this winter. I took some pictures to further help anyone concerned about doing this.

pics coming up.....

Use one of these or the plastic versions.

Using the panel tool start at point A and pop the grill loose here, then B, then C. It will sound like you broke it, but it should be ok. When you get to the outside edge, just slide to the inside (in this case to the right)

Foglight held in place with common torx head screw on outside edge.

I'm not responsible for you breaking your grill. Hopefully this helps some of you.

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
CRAP!! I wish I had of looked at this thread again before attempting this!!

I just finished replacing the passenger side and of course I broke the outer most tab :( Also applied the Laminx precuts which IMHO aren't quite sized right.

Such is the way because earlier today I bumped the garage door opener as I was cleaning the inside and the tailgate was up :mad: End up with some minor surface scratches, hopefully the body shop will be able to buff them out :confused:

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Blue Graphite Golf TDI
So I tried prying the passenger side and failed, is there a way I can install it by reaching under the washer fluid?

Bob Sacamano

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Squeezing my hand behind the washer reservoir is the way I originally installed them. Pain in the ass and literally on the hands.

It may feel like you are going to break the panel, but it's just on there really tight.

Hope that helps.

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Blue Graphite Golf TDI
Thanks for the help, but I kind of gave in to the impatience and went with the first method of tug and wiggling of the left side fog grill. IT WORKED! I tried the pry method and even with a towel on the pry tool I managed to scratch my chrome trim and fog grill (minor, but still hurts she's at 700 km) and I tried desperately for an hour.

I think what really worked was tugging on the gills with my right hand and wiggling the grill by grasping the foglight, side to side. It took maybe a minute of gentle wiggling and pulling towards myself the far left tab of the fog grill came out and I had the torx screw in reach, you just need to push the grill out gently while the other clips are in tact to get a driver in there, so I got it installed with only 1 clip out.

The plastic IS strong, when I put it back in I bent the tab at 30+ degrees to slide it back into place and slowly but surely it clicked back in.

Very happy now, I give the credit to everyone who gave advice here, thank you

emeraldhr

TDI
Mk6 Golf
OK I just got done replacing my damaged driver's side fog lamp assembly. I read what was posted before about the fragile tabs. I also read about the trouble accessing the passenger side assembly. Rather than utilize the Tug & Pray Method™ I decided to consult a friendly contact at the dealer I bought the replacement lamp assembly. Actually, I started out by asking the parts guy nicely if he had a diagram showing the grill (I wanted to see where the tabs were) but all he had was the parts ordering system and it had no detail of the grill. So I went over to the service department and talked to my guy over there. I asked if he had access to any diagrams of the area and while he was unsure if he could access the techs' system he gave it a solid try, and lo and behold he found the 2010 Golf FOG LAMP R&R PROCEDURE. He printed it out for me and I've taken some pics.
It merely tells you something of the nature to "release the locking tab mechanism" which is to say "get the grill off without breaking anything". Step two is to remove the torx screw holding the assembly in. No mention of *ahem* removing the wheels or fender liners or dropping the engine etc... :D
To be fair, I did not attempt the passenger side. Why tempt fate? That assembly wasn't smashed! However, the R&R procedure makes no mention of the passenger side being any different, so I'll go out on a limb and say that with the proper tools it will be the same.
I'm uploading pics I took during the job to flickr, I'll update when they're available.
let me know if these work: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47014677@N04/sets/72157623890466131/
And before anyone mentions it, yes, I know the floormat is upside down. :|
HUGE HELP!!! thx a lot man!

Nlens

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
thanks

Oh S#!T, maybe I should have posted a DYI on these. It was very easy to do and I stumbled upon it by accident.

I decided to do the exact same thing as I wanted to replace mine with better bulbs. When i got the new ones I looked over the car and said to myself this cannot be that big a deal to replace but I was stumped at first only seeing the fog light adjustment screw and not a mounting screw at the front grille. Knowing the "plastics" of cars today I decided to give the L/S grille a little tug from the center as I wiggled the grille and within 2 seconds the entire grill was in my hand with the fog light mounting screw right before my eyes!

R&R the bulb and installed the grill by snapping in to place (need to watch the tabs however as they seem to be delicate and if I had to do again I would wait til the weather warms to keep everything a little more pliable). Went to the R/S and gently pulled on the grill - this one was a little more difficult to get to loosen but with a bit of wiggling and patience, it came loose just like the L/S.

All in all took apx. 10 min to do both sides. Sorry I didn't post earlier!! I would have saved you some PITA work thats not needed!

thanks a ton. i just replaced a blown bulb and it took 20 mins. thanks a ton!