HELP needed in Boone/Blowing Rock Area

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
My daughter has my '03 Jetta TDI Wagon with her at App State in Boone, and it's making a strange sound on acceleration. Her description makes me think it may be a hole in the exhaust or possibly some of the intake piping/hose might have come loose.

Is there anyone in the area who works on TDI's? This sounds like a fairly minor issue so I don't think I need a tdi "guru". Just someone who knows the basics and can be trusted. I'm sure Appalachian Diesel Works could handle it, but Asheville is a 2-hour drive from Boone.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
If she can make it to outside Asheville, NC (about 2 hours from Boone), then Appalacian Diesel Works specializes in TDIs.
http://appalachiandieselworks.com/
Thanks. Yes, I know of them, but as you can imagine I don't want to send my daughter on a 2-hour drive through the NC mountains with an unknown, and potentially serious, engine issue. Looking for someone closer (ideally much closer).

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE: Solved

Took a drive down to Boone on Friday and quickly found the problem. Loose injector. Pulled, cleaned the bore, dressed the washer with some 600 grit sandpaper, put it back together and torqued to 20 Nm. All good.

I still would like to find a reliable TDI mechanic in or near Boone/Blowing Rock for the next hiccup that pops up.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I can scope out the area and talk to a few friends out there to see if they know of anyone. I don't think there'll be anyone with much TDI experience, but it would be nice to figure out which mechanic is the most trusted in the area. If anything, I would just get the version of triple A that covers 100 miles of towing since that's about the distance to Asheville.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I also contacted Tom at Everything Euro (Winston-Salem) on the trusted TDI mechanic list, and he seemed very helpful and knowledgeable. He even offered to help me diagnose it by phone if I needed help while I was there. Fortunately, it was an easy enough fix that even somebody like me could fix it in short order. :)

They are almost the exact same distance as Asheville, but their advantage (as far as I am concerned) is that they are between Richmond and Boone. Asheville is the opposite direction.

Last edited:

piper109

Veteran Member
I am not a guru but I do all my own work on my TDI's and have a reasonable knowledge and experience. Located in West Jefferson, about 30 mins east of Boone.
I personally know of nobody knowledgeable in the area hence I do all my own work but I would be happy to give it the once over if that would be helpful.
Steve

Last edited: