WNC, WSC, Eastern TN members?

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
I'm just down in Greenville. I usually have a pretty busy schedule, but would definitely try to make it to any GTGs planned. I know Appalachian Diesel Works in the Asheville area used to host one every once in a while, but it's been a while since I've seen one advertised.

hondamnit

TDI
02 ALH jetta TDI
Im down in the Hendersonville area, dont currently own a TDI but i work on them for a living. I have a 2.0 mk4 jetta wagon thats going to get ALH swap as soon as i can, a 2.0 Mk3 Golf thats prepped for autocross and a Mk1 Golf thats wired and plumbed for AHU swap that is going to be a long term project. There is a pretty awesome group of general VW people in the area. Im going to start having meets at the shop here soon.

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
hondamint, I keep meeting people who drive TDI's in Asheville and it seems to be highly flooded with them.
Blue Ridge Bio-Fuels definitely increases the saturation.

Hopefully we can get a good number of people that are interested in a GTG!

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
Im down in the Hendersonville area, dont currently own a TDI but i work on them for a living. I have a 2.0 mk4 jetta wagon thats going to get ALH swap as soon as i can, a 2.0 Mk3 Golf thats prepped for autocross and a Mk1 Golf thats wired and plumbed for AHU swap that is going to be a long term project. There is a pretty awesome group of general VW people in the area. Im going to start having meets at the shop here soon.
What shop is it?

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
Its called Euro-Welt. We had a "soft" opening last month, i am doing work at the shop but no signs up yet or anything.
I just picked up a car from Eurotechnik in Hendersonville yesterday, which is why I asked.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
So I see 5 in the area now.
What are your desires for a TDI get together type thing?

What part can you see playing in such a thing?
Interested in?
Planning one...
Going to one...
Being at one...

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
On the border of NC and SC would love to do them again we need leaders as the Gentlemen who have put them on before are retired or no longer able. Would love to lead but a large SUV jumped out in front of my 2003 Jetta Wagon and KO'd it and myself last year.:(

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
Liberty SC. You'll see me all over the upstate in a yellow beetle tdi with roof racks. If I had the room I would host. In the meantime I keep hoping a gtg will be announced soon!

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Hello, I'm in TN 2 hrs. northwest of Knoxville. I've got a Touareg waiting for buyback and its replacement, a 2015 Q5. I'd try to come tho it's busy season on our little farm right now.

zakarixnovotny

TDI
2001 Golf - 2009 Jetta
I'm in eastern North carolina but I'd be down for a road trip out there depending on the date and what not. Love those mountains.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I'm in Jacksonville NC too... I would drive out west for a gtg, if i can find my passport. ;p

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
rix337 sent me a PM and we both agree that Fall is a good time for a GTG.
I presently am in California and think that August would be a horrible month as the heat of summer is at its most grueling.

October seems to be fairly Ideal as the weather is becoming much more comfortable, especially in the mountains.

Does anyone have any desires of the GTG?
Meeting areas, locations they would enjoy more than others, places they have never been and would be delighted to check out...

I have honestly not done anything like this before and am accustomed to other types of gatherings.

Town accommodations are relatively expensive and can hinder some, however, some must have them.

I know of a few places in the National Forest for camping if people would like that type of adventure.
Does anyone need/prefer more accommodations.

I admit, I am a bit of an outdoor enthusiast and playing in the woods always sounds like a wonderful time.
This is part of the reason that I ask about others needs and desires.

There's always the Blue Ridge Parkway for nice drives and waterfall adventures.
Mythdoc I see would be hindered by harvest in October unless we can arrange a good few days.

I saw someone mention needing leaders, however, I think we all need to lead this adventure so we can all enjoy our time as much as possible and get as much as possible out of the efforts we expend.

Ideas, thoughts, preferred dates, everything is on the table.
What do you want out of this?

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I am going to put this out there because I was there a few years ago, and would love to see it again. The Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. The giant poplars are the biggest trees you will see east of California, they are amazing! Would love to have a beautiful mountain drive, and a little hike time and a sandwich picnic or cookout.

My 2 cents has been added, haha!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I'm interested but too far away to help with the planning...

Camping would be fine with us. I can pull my popup!

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
Chiming in from Knoxville, here. Camping sounds like a great idea! Plenty of great spots in GSMNP.

Sent from my mobile look-at device

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Subscribed, because if you get something going when I'm free I'll come down. I have an old friend in Brevard I'm always looking for an excuse to visit, and I love the Asheville area. Been to a bunch of great GTGs near there.

Dan Goldston in Chapin, SC (not far from Asheville) also hosts GTGs once in a while. You might reach out to him. I forget his username right now.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Never to far away! I'm in California at the moment :D
Well, you've heard the saying (from Gunsmoke I think), if I could ever "get the hell out of Dodge" I'll be heading to Alaska on the 24th and return on August 24th .......... thus, doesn't leave me much time to help with planning..... Now, that's an excuse.:D

Well, looking up Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, I was surprised how close it is to my neck of the woods. Seems we were right there next door last fall driving the Tail of the Dragon.... But, that is sort of on the other side of the mountain from Ashville! Seems the Blue Ridge Parkway starts in Cherokee and goes East/Northeast to Ashville and on. I've never driven the part between Cherokee and Ashville. I've covered about 90% of it from Ashville to Front Royal.. But, any section is loaded with beauty and nice driving!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Just because my location says Asheville doesn't mean that we're limited to being there.
AndyBees, what do you want out of the GTG?
I think that Joyce Kilmer sounds awesome and I have not been before.
Could be we camp somewhere and ride about to different places.
Sounds like a real adventure to me.
Pick a central place to camp and create an intentional itinerary we can change.
I might even hit up Daniel at ADW and see about stopping by for a while if anyone is interested.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, my wife loves the forest, hiking, photography, drives, etc. Seems there's a local VW club in Townsend which is not very far from Joyce Kilmer ........ nice drive! They might have something going on this fall..

But, nothing before October for us!