2016, January 30 GTG at DanG144's Chapin, SC

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Dan,

Aren't you glad it wasn't today. We've got some ice on the trees right now.

I'm bringing a cowboy coffee pot setup with some horsepower to boil it with this year.

Might be able to assist if req'd on that clutch flush & bleed.

I'm having some slower crank on these colder mornings, battery is about 2 months old and the starter makes a little strange noise after it fires up.

Gary

Gary,

That's typical of a tired starter, probably be time to grab one to keep one on hand just to be safe.

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Executive TDi
Since I am one of the TDIClub Noob appliance drivers :mad:, you make take my comments in that context.

In other clubs, there is a "mecca" meeting in the same place every year. In one club case, close to 1/2 million people attend. Having it in the same place every year provides a means to develop the site and the plans get better and better each year. It is true that not everyone attends. To take care of that need, there are other local (more regional really) functions, again in the same place each year. The same positives apply to these regional events. Planning improves and the site improves.

Although I am close to SC, I have plans for the weekend of the 30th.

However, I really appreciate this thread because I learned of the gents in Alexander, NC. ( I am in Leicester , NC ) Will likely contact them if Deiselgate ends in a manner for me to keep the car and do some speed work.
Leicester....pronounced 'Lester" :D

I lived in Asheville for many years. Another GTG will be in Asheville in October as well...

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Volmaniac,

That video was pretty neat. I'd rate that as a good bench project. I think some of my issue (unconfirmed) is going to be lube based on a 15 year old starter. It's never failed to rotate just ain't got it on a cold start lately. To be determined. Looks like I will be looking at it a bit later today.

Gary

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Several of us have had good luck cleaning starters. The gears and bendix often work much better. You can buy brushes, gear cases, bushings and other small parts from local repair shops or online.

I like to support the local owner run shops, but the local corporate shops are usually too expensive.

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
I need this Bug to run. The noise of the starter after engine fires as starter shuts down was a dry bushing sound. Battery tested yesterday, about 2 months old, passed. Got a reman starter locally. Installed and cranking speed much faster. DVOM showed 11.1VDC on cell phone video. Tried old starter on bench, same bushing screech sound on shut down. Opened starter, brushes looked great. If I were to guess the noise is in the bendix end of town. Colder morning starts will tell the tale.

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 2005.5 Jetta A4 2003 Jetta
Hi Everyone
I am looking forward to this weekend to see everyone. My daughter's 05 jetta needs lots of attention....still burning out right rear lightbulbs. Recovering from cataract surgery so not going to be able to turn wrenches just flap gums, which I do better than wrenching anyway.

VWSHPFRMN

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
None at the time
Hi Everyone
I am looking forward to this weekend to see everyone. My daughter's 05 jetta needs lots of attention....still burning out right rear lightbulbs. Recovering from cataract surgery so not going to be able to turn wrenches just flap gums, which I do better than wrenching anyway.
Bruce,
Let me know what you need done on your daughters car so I can bring the proper equipment and parts if necessary. Call me on my cell when you get a chance.

hopcarolina

TDI
2000 Jetta, 1990 Corrado TDI
Dans GTG

Hello Dan,
I am hoping to make it down this weekend! I think I have to work until 10 then drive down from Charlote. Can you PM an address please?

I have a lot of questions for my MK4 and Corrado. I don't think I need any work done mechanically but would really like someone to plug in for an airbag light on my 2000 jetta. Recently installed leather. I also, have a rear caliper that the e brake spring is not 100%. Maybe I can ask about that.

Hope the weather is good so we can get lots of cars there!

Ps I have a small 10x10 canopy to bring

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Dan,

You're looking good on the weather forecast tonight. Yup, old starter can make the trip. Its pretty interesting internals so far, what is that a planetary drive?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Yes, the drive is interesting.
Jimbote is bringing bushings (which is probably causing the squawk after you let up on the starter) and I will hopefully have some brush assemblies. That and a bit of cleaning and lube is usually all you need.

On other starters, replacing the contacts in the solenoid is often helpful, but I have yet to find parts for the Bosch solenoids, and they are usually of crimped construction.

Dan

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Dan,

I'm bringing a cowboy coffee pot setup with some horsepower to boil it with this year.

I'm having some slower crank on these colder mornings, battery is about 2 months old and the starter makes a little strange noise after it fires up.

Gary
Gary,
I have a two burner camp stove, with very high output burners on the back deck (it is portable, though). Essentially two turkey frying burners. So you probably don't need to bring your heat source, unless you want to.

I drink cowboy coffee for several weeks a year at Elk Camp, and work trips clearing trail in the West Elk Wilderness near Paonia, CO.

Dan

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Dan,

Gary
Gary,
I have a two burner camp stove, with very high output burners on the back deck (it is portable, though). Essentially two turkey frying burners. So you probably don't need to bring your heat source, unless you want to.

I drink cowboy coffee for several weeks a year at Elk Camp, and work trips clearing trail in the West Elk Wilderness near Paonia, CO.

Dan

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Cowboy coffee, that'll smooth out the trigger finger, hold still big Elk, no more to the left, a bit closer, now raise your head and look away. Jittttttttttters you moved again!

Weather looking darn nice.

I have video or bench testing the starter and to my ear its a dry bushing, somewhere. Don't think its in the motor but the full drive innards have yet to reveal themselves.

GrndZero

TDI
2015 GSW-SE6spd
The ramps may come in handy.

A pop up rain top If you have one [do not buy one for this]
I can bring both of these items. I have a one of those pop up covers that you can put over a car and you see at conventions. Its like an 8x8 foot square.

ReferenceDesign

Veteran Member
I can't believe it's been 4 years since I attended. The plan is to attend. Need to get jeff's tune in Hanna's replacement MKV.
I will be bringing the usual electrical tools.

Everyone that is coming ... Please bring any electrical black boxes that are dead (like fan controllers). These can be used as cores and repaired with better parts.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Excellent. I have one of the english boxes that is brand new, one of the one's that changes the fan to digital PWM control, eliminating the resistors, which eliminates a lot of heat in the fan. You might look at that.

I may have an old FCM or two as well.

Jeff is digging out of the snow today.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
recovering from a total left ankle replacement, Justin and I will be there but I will be on crutches and in deep pain lol. It is getting better every day. Saturday will be 2 1/2 weeks post surgery. Amazing what they can do now. Be good to see everyone and ask a few questions I have about a couple of cars we are working on.

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Executive TDi
Dan - A personal matter out of my control will cause a change of plans for this weekend. See you in Asheville, or next time in Chapin.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Dan, I'm sorry but we are going to be unable to attend the GTG. We've both come down with a horrible cold. So, besides feeling miserable, we do not want to expose everyone.

I hope you guys have great weather and an awesome GTG!

rawmnivore

TDI
2000 Golf TDI 4DR
Robert T. and I will be there. Sorry for the late confirmation. Too busy on the farm these days to keep up with everything. Will bring snacks, Ext cord(s), 10x10 canopy, chairs, eggs for barter/gifts, vag-com, and a crusty old 2000 Golf. See you tomorrow!:D