2016, January 30 GTG at DanG144's Chapin, SC

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Dan,
I have a 180,000 mile set just removed. Now just gotta remember to bring them and hopefully figure out long before then why its popped about 3 30A fuses lately. Fuse socket tested with old school ammeter got about 18A load with both fans and AC compressor engaged. Tonight I direct wired to battery a new feed and 30A fuse.
Gary
I also have chosen to provide a new power path for my fans. The fuse block developed high resistance, and I chose to use a 30 amp circuit breaker to power the fan's slow speed circuit.

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Dan,

Be interested to see your rewire design. My fuse block seems OK and since I've removed the pass side fan, no more fuse blowing.

We're still investigating with IDParts but the VDO pass side fan sits 1/4" - 5/16" taller from the entire fan module mounting ears compared to Valeo OE unit. The harness right where it comes out of the motor rubbed the AC hose crimp all the way thru the insulation.

More to follow.

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
Hey Dan
It was so good to see you again at Daniels GTG. I have my calendar marked I hope to bring the truck, it might be done then

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I would love to see the common rail "lying engine" in that small truck. I'll bet you love it.

Sorry to hear of your illness. Take some time off to get well.

Dan

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I would love to see the common rail "lying engine" in that small truck. I'll bet you love it.

Sorry to hear of your illness. Take some time off to get well.

Dan

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Sounds good, we will look for you.

We fared very well here, no flooding. I did have a tree branch knock a 6" hole in the roof of my aluminum shop building. So I have some dis-assembly to do for my interior stick built shop, to pull out the wet insulation.

Bruce (DidJettarun) and I went to help some folks near Gadsden, SC. There were four family houses in a row that had been submerged in rapidly flowing water. We found out about it because one of the family members works with my daughter at the hospital. What a mess. We cleaned out 5 refrigerator/freezers and 3 freezers after they have been without power for a week, after being moved and overturned in a flood? Bruce washed his truck out immediately after hauling the truckload to the dump, but I would not get downwind of his truck for a few weeks.

Dan

Tman-61

TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp.
Greetings

I'm new to TDIs. I just picked up a nice used 2006 5sp with 180k mi and its time for a timing belt. Any opinions / recommendations on VW dealership service in the SC midlands area? I can travel into Columbia with little trouble (McDaniel or Midlands are options). Any indie shops around that are trustworthy / reputable to do a good job on a TB /WP ?

Your thoughtful replies are always appreciated.

Thanks !

T-man

PS -- lastly, sorry to hijack the thread. Just wanted to connect with other TDI'ers in SC asap.

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
T-man,
I suggest (by username and estimated distance to you - they are all excellent mechanics.)
Richard55,
Appalachian Diesel Works
Jimbote

They will all do you a much better job than a dealer.

I will PM you their phone numbers.

DaMidget, it would be good to see you.

Dan

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
i HOPE to be coming down to this GTG

Dan, thanks in advance for 'tolerating' us Wackko's again...

anyone coming down from the Unifour area, please PM me if i can share a ride with ya....

January on a motorcycle is a cold ride, both ways...

D

dlm308rem

Get-me-home

HPC,
I no longer recommend modifying the lift pumps. The hoses and connectors available to us are not reliable enough. Because of this the mods actually reduce reliability, even though the idea is sound, the execution creates problems.

If you want to discuss get-me-home options we can do that.

Dan
I am planning on attending and would like to be included on that conversation.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I just carry my old fuel sending unit near my spare tire. If the lift pump ever goes I'll be back on the road within 10 minutes.:D
That approach works with the PD engines as well. You will have to run without a level gauge until you make some repairs If you are carrying an ALH sending unit, but the engine will run.

Since you may want to fill the fuel filter by hand (to reduce the cranking time) it might take longer than 10 minutes. For a PD, even if you fill the fuel filter, unless you have a hand vacuum pump to refill the header, it will take about 50 seconds of cranking time.

For the ALH engines, you may want/need to bleed the injectors, again to reduce cranking time.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
I may be able to make it down for this. Won't know for sure until a little closer to the date, though.

50R BTR

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Lot of changes this year, but looking at making the trip up from PCB...will be good to see you and the gang again, Dan.

Completed my TB change and scheduled maintenance earlier this year, so no wrenching, but looking forward to a nice drive and some good conversation.

Please ensure the leaf blower is working...:rolleyes:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Dan,

Maybe I've missed this problem so far, what problem is the Fuel Pump Mod trying to deal with?

Gary
It is a PD lift pump issue. The newest pumps will not allow vacuum dragging fuel, will not allow the engine to run if the electric motor in it dies. The original ones would.

In an effort to let them vacuum drag fuel we modified the pumps, installing a bypass line with a check valve. Great idea, but the hoses we used were not up to the task, causing a reduction in reliability.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=208968 Left Coast Resident's fuel pump modification thread.

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Hoping to attend. All depends on son's Saturday sports schedule.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
Sounds good Dan. Anyone have a injector pop tester they might bring?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Dan,

If we didn't have a commitment on the 31st, I'd be there. Thanks again for the help with my wife's BEW.

Lito

TurboDirectInject

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5 spd
I recently bought a 2006 Jetta TDI and would like to attend. I am only a couple of hours north of Chapin off of I26.

krousorama

TDI
1996 Passat
Just found about the gtg going to try to make it

Sitting here in paramedick's garage while he and son replace my turbo, and was just informed about the gathering. Would love to come.