Cup Holders

karlkoenig

Veteran Member
I have a 2002 Golf TDI and hate how the cup holders block the CD Player/Sound System. Has anyone found a better solution?

I know VW makes a cup holder that fits in the arm rest, but I use the arm rest while driving. It looks intrusive.

I'm hoping someone has found something that will fit down near the emergency brake.

Thanks!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Put a CD changer in the trunk and just a radio in the dash. That's what I have and it works very nicely. Ok, you don't have the option to change cd's on the fly, but oh well.

famous

Veteran Member
You guys don't know what you're talking about.I think the Golf/Jetta cupholders are terrific.I base this opinion on the WORLDS WORST,MOST POORLY DESIGNED,AWKWARD cup holders in the automotive world.....the 99 Passat.
I can't believe this is "German Engineering" !

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by famous:
I base this opinion on the WORLDS WORST,MOST POORLY DESIGNED,AWKWARD cup holders in the automotive world.....the 99 Passat.
I can't believe this is "German Engineering" !
<hr></blockquote>

I defy you to find me a european-built car with good cupholders (the Saab 9-5 may be an exception, but there is only one of them). Cupholders are tacked on to european cars as an afterthought... they're an addition to please the US market.

Europeans aren't in the habit of eating and drinking while they're driving.

-davin

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>

Europeans aren't in the habit of eating and drinking while they're driving.

<hr></blockquote>

There ya go, the "smoking gun" of German-engineered cup holders, because...

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>

What DO they do while they're driving ??

<hr></blockquote>

They're DRIVING, that's what they're doing; they ain't yakkin' on the !@#$% phone, stuffing their big, fat faces with some fastfood burger, and washing it down with some SuperMegaBigGulp. Wanna know why NA drivers suck (comparatively speaking)? It's because they actually put a premium on frickin' cup holders...

landrumdh

Veteran Member
TDI
landrumdh
I agree US drivers spend way to much doing other stuff besides driving!!

Paying attention has saved my a$$ several times from other drivers who weren't paying attention and nearly hit me!

Hey atleast the car has cupholders. My 86 Jetta and Topaz both don't have cupholders!

A. Meyer

Veteran Member
I don't want to sound like an echo but, if more Americans would concentrate on the road rather than on their mouths, we'd have fewer accidents and less obesity.

karlkoenig

Veteran Member
Hey man, all I want to know is if there is a better solution! Does the arm rest deal work? Has anyone found anything else that works?

BTW I fully agree with the inattentive driver comments. I just want something to put my Diet Coke in on my long drive to work that doesn't block my stereo! I promise I'll be responsible!

KK

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
To be sure, if you are doing 160 km/hr or more on the Autobahn, you probably should not have your hands anywhere but on the wheel!

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
personally I love the cupholders, but I have a cubbyhole being blocked instead of my stereo.

gleep

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
KK - I bought a invisible picture hanger and some 3" black sewer pipe. I screwed one half of the hanger to the passenger side of the center console and the other half to the sewer pipe. Works really well and can be removed when I have a passenger.

gleep

tdi_veedub

Veteran Member
My drive to work everyday is 100KM. Excuse me for wanting a cup of coffee on my way to work.

While I agree that talking on the phone is a pure distraction and shouldn't be done by anybody, a cup of coffee, or a smoke is hardly a distraction when done responsibly.

For instance: I don't open the coffee until I am on the freeway, and the coffee has cooled a little so as not to burn me should it spill. It sits in the cupholder, and when traffic permits I take a sip, then put it back.

I have seen alot of people doing alot of stupid **** while driving(shaving, make-up, toking, drinking beer, reading, cell phones and sexual acts....need I say anymore). My cup of coffee hardly compares to the crap those crack-smokers are doing.

84ZZ4

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
Actually, I happen to agree. I've finally found a car with cupholders that are more retarded than my Pontiac... LOL.

porterman

Veteran Member
I have two potential solutions. On my 99.5 Golf, (before I found the rear cupholders under the coin holder); I needed a cup holder too. I found a pencil cup at an office store like Staples that looks a bit like a coiled up spring. It held cups fine. I mounted it into the floor tunnel behind the coin holder with a couple of drywall screws. It did interfere with the wide back seat folding down. My wife was able to dislodge the cup holder by repeatedly wacking it with the seat. I am sure someone here will tell me why I should not have drilled thru the center tunnel, but it did work well. Second, I have a cup holder from a (maybe 96) Passat. It mounts where the passenger left knee goes. It was like 40 bucks from VW/Audi and I never mounted it. I looked for it last night to see if would interfere with the front seats that come forward (does your car have them too). I could find the part number or sell you mine for 10 or 20 bucks if it will fit. It matches the black dashboard perfectly. It looks like a hard eyeglass case that flips open. Give me a day or so to find it if to see if it interferes with the seats. Maybe somone could post a picture of the sewer pipe solution, the pencil cup attached in that manner would look great.

jetmann

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Jetta
Try the SpillMaster Euro Jr. ~$5.00 from Advance, AutoZone, WalMart, and virtually any other store which sells automotive gofasters.

It fits well, and will hold anything small enough to go between the brake handle and passenger seat (it holds Speedway 44oz cups well, and will do the 32oz coffee cups easily). I'd suggest shimming the finger cavity, and using non-permanent attachments, but then, I hate adding holes to my interiors...

[ December 19, 2001: Message edited by: jetmann ]</p>