My solution to the leaky CCV puck

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
So it seems that everyone's CCV puck leaks onto their valve cover and down the back of the engine...and from my observations from a few different customer cars, it seems the majority of the leak eminates from the connection between the puck and the oil return tube.

Here is my GTDI. Notice how clean it is there? NO leaks.

Here is the trick...unconventional but works.

Wrap the nipple of the CCV puck with teflon tape. Give it a few wraps, don't be shy. Then simply reattach the return tube, tighten the clamp, and clean up the preexisting residue, done.

My puck only leaked when I PURPOSELY left the teflon tape off the connection, too see if that was actually solving the issue. Re wrapped it and no leaks.

To all those who have custom modified there valve covers. Oh well. :p

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Many views, no remarks?
FWIW I did this when I first did my swap, and at Fest last year there were more than a couple remarks about the lack of oil leaking on my valve cover.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Remark.

There, you have one now.

I'll give this a try as well since mine is leaking. I have replaced the CCV tube and puck a few times and it always leaks in short order. Quite a pain actually since the rest of the engine is always clean.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just ditched the lower tube altogether when I had my A3. Put a block off plate on the block (easily obtained, VAG used them on many gas and diesel engines over the years).

But your method sounds quick and simple, too. My A3 never seemed to leak anywhere, though, not even underneath. When I sold it, it was the cleanest, driest early TDI I had ever known. Man I wish I kept that car :(

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
oh hello :D

in a high-boosting ahu (say 28 psi), is there any danger to blocking that lower tube? i keep forgetting to do this on my AHUs. i had got a new lower tube, which didn't leak for a while, but of course it has over time started to leak a bit. i had also debated using heater hose for this, instead of that plastic pipe if i could find a flange w/barb, or cutting the plastic hose and finding some sort of space to squeeze inside of it to reinforce it like the rings at the ends of the plastic mk3 boost pipes..

GTiTDi

TDI
I love this very simple solution. I will be putting on my B4v in August.

Question, what did this do for the oil getting into the intercooler then leaking out from the intercooler?
Airwolf style aviation air/oil separator

Remark.
There, you have one now.
A remark from Mark nonetheless lol

I just ditched the lower tube altogether when I had my A3. Put a block off plate on the block (easily obtained, VAG used them on many gas and diesel engines over the years).
But your method sounds quick and simple, too. My A3 never seemed to leak anywhere, though, not even underneath. When I sold it, it was the cleanest, driest early TDI I had ever known. Man I wish I kept that car :(
I'd imagine the crankcase pressures being rather high with the return tube blocked off, then again, maybe not.
ALH's lack this spot all together however the later blocks are designed differently as I know you are more than aware of.

oh hello :D

in a high-boosting ahu (say 28 psi), is there any danger to blocking that lower tube? i keep forgetting to do this on my AHUs. i had got a new lower tube, which didn't leak for a while, but of course it has over time started to leak a bit. i had also debated using heater hose for this, instead of that plastic pipe if i could find a flange w/barb, or cutting the plastic hose and finding some sort of space to squeeze inside of it to reinforce it like the rings at the ends of the plastic mk3 boost pipes..
Pod, my solution is simple, try it before your typically over complicated ideas!

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
of course, i will try it :p i used a clamp without any teflon tape, and that also worked, but not 100%. i know i read some threads about blocking it off, but can't remember any consensus if it's OK to do, especially with a high-boosting engine.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
if i could find a flange w/barb

I have an OEM metal flange from a 1.6TD I am going to drill and weld a pipe barb to, it's a perfect fit and about 1/4" thick. Just something to consider since I have yet to find anything over the counter that will work and be beefy enough to stop leaking. I suspect I have some blowby with the higher mileage so I am reluctant to block it off completely like OH mentioned. I'm going to put an oil separator inline as well.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, it isn't a TDI, but all my old IDI diesels managed to survive without that lower tube. I often wonder why they bothered with it in the first place. Certainly the crankcase pressure at the front of the block isn't that different than at the head? Who knows, besides those zany Germans.

My '98 (which was not stock power wise) did OK, too. That was when we were beta-testing the Old Navy CCV, and they decided to make the AHU/1Z one with or without the extra bung. Mine was without (essentially an ALH version).

GTiTDi

TDI
I too have saved a block off plate from an older non tdi engine if I decide to delete the return tube.

So has anyone tried measuring crankcase pressure?

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew

"Man I wish I kept that car"

more people need to admit how good the mk3 is/was, damn I miss mine.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
So has anyone tried measuring crankcase pressure?
You know, that is a very valid point. I'm thinking in terms of engine pressure equalization, but is it really needed? I have to believe if they engineered it there, then it is, but then some of the crap VW did makes no sense to me as well.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
I'll be trying this when I have time. That leak has really kept the rust off my car over the years though. It's left a descent coat underneath.

siatucka

TDI
2000 jetta, 2001 golf
I'm going to try this. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Thanks! Maybe now I won't do the exhaust option.

GTiTDi

TDI
Thanks! Maybe now I won't do the exhaust option.
Come again? This in no way prevents oil from entering the intake, merely from leaking externally. I plan on plumbing my CCV from the air/oil separator into a downpipe scavenge system eventually.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I've thought about blocking off the crank vent and venting the VC to the exhaust because the seepage drives me crazy.

vegger

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
i was told blocking the crank case vent will push your seals out.....which makes sense ...so i replaced the stupid plastic tube. would be nice to know what pressure the seals should hold vs the cc pressure. good tip for the puck

slow-moe

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I upgrade this part rather than deleting it..You can use an oil separator from Polo and together with an aluminium flange for engine block + rubber hose from Eurovan it should never leak:

GTiTDi

TDI
I upgrade this part rather than deleting it..You can use an oil separator from Polo and together with an aluminium flange for engine block + rubber hose from Eurovan it should never leak:
Where do I get one of these ^ eurovan parts? :confused:

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
i was told blocking the crank case vent will push your seals out.....which makes sense ...so i replaced the stupid plastic tube. would be nice to know what pressure the seals should hold vs the cc pressure. good tip for the puck
Nobody is advocating blocking all the vents, just the lower one.

also.. thanks to the OP for this good info. I've had several mk3 / b4 TDIs and never had leaks like I have on the higher boost application I'm running now. I've also never seen this on the ALH and later model drivetrains, and in my experience those blocks vent better than these earlier ones... It would be nice to see some pics of the vent to downpipe here for future reference :D

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Nobody is advocating blocking all the vents, just the lower one.
also.. thanks to the OP for this good info!
I would leave the lower vent intact, it shouldn't leak if installed properly. If mine doesn't leak neither should anyone elses. FWIW it took some trimming of the new vent tube flange to make a flat sealing surface..always be sure to remove molding flash with a razor and some emery cloth, just like when building a platic model airplane! The only difference is doing it to prevent leaks, rather than aesthetic purposes.

Remember ALH blocks don't have that lower vent because they have an entirely different internal return passage design with much larger holes which helps the block breath better.

Also, I have recently fabricated my own exhaust scavenge ccv, same setup as before except rather than venting into the TIP it vents into the downpipe.
The effect is basically pulling a slight vacuum on the crankcase, which in turn seals the rings better and seems to help the engine rev faster. This is a common hotrodder trick on cars with headers and straight exhaust.

note: this is only for cars with a straight exhaust (mine is straight 3" minus a huge resonator)
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=13023

aelath

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V (gone)
Airwolf style aviation air/oil separator
I know this is a bit old now, but... GTiTDi I would love to see a picture of your air oil separator in action. I hate how much oil I end up putting back into the intake now that I have bigger injectors and ecu tune to match ... been thinking about a crawford A/O separator for a while now but haven't seen any TDIs running them.

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Here is the trick...unconventional but works.

Wrap the nipple of the CCV puck with teflon tape. Give it a few wraps, don't be shy. Then simply reattach the return tube, tighten the clamp, and clean up the preexisting residue, done.

My puck only leaked when I PURPOSELY left the teflon tape off the connection, too see if that was actually solving the issue. Re wrapped it and no leaks.
I know it's an old thread.

You're talking about the nipple that goes into the plastic tube that connects to the tube coming out of the block?

Thanks,
Mark

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Yes.

It seems to work, but I'm also using a clamp. I was thinking of cleaning the connection and adding a few wraps of silicone sealing tape, to lose the clamp.

-Todd