Got MY first 700 mile tank. 700.4 actually

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I drove out of Dallas, TX and stopped to fill up on my way to Houston, TX. From Houston I went to San Antonio, and then back to Dallas.
I averaged 47.7mpg over the 700.4 miles. Interestingly, I found I got the best fuel economy at about 69mph in clean air - that's right on 2000rpm on the gauge, maybe a little different if you do the math.
I'm thrilled.

wutbürger

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 CW Golf 4dr 6mt
You must be taking 30 minutes to fill up 14.5 gallons of fuel hahaha I never have the patience. Most I ever seem to get is 13.5 or so by "slowly" filling up. I'm hoping to bust the 700 mile tank in a few days. I'm at 353 miles and well above the half mark on the gauge thanks to no city driving this week along with gorgeous, 65 degree mornings here in St. Louis for a change.

I agree, I find the best economy to be 65-70mph- right in the sweet spot for torque on the 6M

Polak

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDi SEL
I drove out of Dallas, TX and stopped to fill up on my way to Houston, TX. From Houston I went to San Antonio, and then back to Dallas.
I averaged 47.7mpg over the 700.4 miles. Interestingly, I found I got the best fuel economy at about 69mph in clean air - that's right on 2000rpm on the gauge, maybe a little different if you do the math.
I'm thrilled.
14.68 Gallons. You must have been running on fumes. :eek:

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
If the car has a 14.5 gallon tank, then the question is how much more fuel can the filler neck hold? I know I've read this in other threads, but can't remember the quantity. Is it 0.5 gallons, or maybe 0.75 gallons?

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
My car had a pretty good day.

That wasn't hypermiling or any special driving. 70-75 mph, also around 1900-2000 RPMs, for 30 miles on the freeway in lightish traffic.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i got 41mpg on the MFD doing 85-90 last friday on a 70 mile trip, i was happy too!

corvettecrazy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI manual
Most I ever put in was 14.9... :eek:

...for 597.7 miles. I did make the 600 club on the return trip with 13.7 gallons though.

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Knocked out a 718 mile tank yesterday... averaged 50.3 MPG for the tank!! average speed was 61mph according to the in dash, so... it was all highway, but still. I had the cruise set at 70 most of the time.

dsldubb

TDI
WTB 2012 4Dr Golf Man.
14.68 Gallons. You must have been running on fumes. :eek:
Reminds me of the Top Gear episode where Jeremy attempts an 800 mile tank with the Audi diesel.

He gets to where the MFD says 0 miles, needle laying on the floor, fuel pump loudly whirring away, and then he says: "I don't know if the engineers at Audi know this.. But they have developed a car that runs on air."

Ha ha.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This past weekend, filled up till I saw foam, clicked in a bit more then took off as a line was forming behind me. Drove 496 miles between Saturday and Tuesday morning were I squeezed in 9.54 gallons to actually brim the tank. 51+mpg!

The MFD said I could have gone another 200 miles. My average speed was around 50 mph with 50% highway at 70mph, and then the other 50% was between 45 and 55 on the back roads.

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
Are the jetta tanks bigger than the golf tanks?

My car was saying 10 miles to empty etc and I put in 13.9 gallons. The manual lists the tank as 14.5 gallons.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Same, mfd for DTE isn't science. Make sure you fill till you see soil fuel, not till it clicks.

tomc585

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Interestingly, I found I got the best fuel economy at about 69mph in clean air - that's right on 2000rpm on the gauge
Just for giggles I checked my mph with DSG against your 6M @2000rpm. I'm only at 62.7mph. Thought they'd be a little closer than that. But @2000rpm it does seem to do better like you state.

ajkreider

TDI
2011 Golf
The manual (page 237 in the 2011 edition) says that there is a 7 liter reserve in addition to the 14.5 gallons.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
My record is 746 miles (1194 km).

Here is a pic from the day I did it. 10 km remaining to empty :eek:

And here's my best ever fuel consumption on my morning commute earlier the same day, 59 mpg (fuel light not on yet at 1128 km):

Last edited:

elverde

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I have a really hard time topping off...I don't know what I'm doing wrong, so any tips are appreciated. I'm in CA if that's any help.

Once it's "full" according to the pump...I get a click every freaking second and have to resqueeze...sometimes launching diesel back at me as some form of ridiculous riccochet. I usually give up after a few clicks.

Anywho...I'm on pace for about 690 miles on this tank so far...it's going to be close. I think if I can fill it up all the way, 700 might come easy.

I do all highway during the week...usually 50 mpg to work and 42 or so on the way home (uphill).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the fill up i use had a pretty worn pump nozel, and I feather the fuel in at an almost trickle pace as the same speed the foam disapears.
Where I've tried using newer pump nozels and there seems to be no in between and feathering stinks.

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I never "top off" the tank. I put the pump on the slowest setting, and wait until it clicks off.

I am of the opinion that XPD must have an anti foaming characteristic, if not a specific anti-foaming component.

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Are the jetta tanks bigger than the golf tanks?

My car was saying 10 miles to empty etc and I put in 13.9 gallons. The manual lists the tank as 14.5 gallons.
The "miles to empty" is a computation that takes into account your recent driving. If you just shot off of a traffic light, the miles to empty will drop sharply. Likewise, if you have been driving in the city and then go to steady highway driving the 'miles to empty' will climb.

13.9 gallons with 10 miles to empty means you were driving it pretty hard - how many miles did you get on that tank?

natrab

TDI
formerly 2009 VW Jetta TDI
I must have a really heavy foot, because my mileage has never come close to what some of you have.

Are these A6s getting better mileage than the A5s?

ajkreider

TDI
2011 Golf
Took my "miles to empty" past zero for the first time yesterday for about 10 miles. Bit of an experiment. Wanted that first 600 mile tank (612).

Filled up with some feathering, and only got 13.98 in. I'm convinced that the miles to empty is no where near the miles to empty. Maybe it's their way of getting you to avoid accessing the dirty fuel a the bottom of the tank.

tomc585

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Maybe it's their way of getting you to avoid accessing the dirty fuel a the bottom of the tank.
Dirty fuel? Where do you buy your fuel? lol. The miles/distance to empty is calculated based on you recent driving habit and is meant to be a reserve so has not to run out and be stranded.

I don't miss the days with my old Buick Estate Wagon, when it said "E" you were empty!

holychicken

TDI
2012 Golf 4D Manual
Hi. New driver here, have had my car for a couple of weeks.

I refueled my first tank right as it entered the red area.

I assume that if you all are filling over 14 gallons that you take it way into the red? Is this not a big deal? How many gallons are left right when it enters the red part of the meter?

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
The "miles to empty" is a computation that takes into account your recent driving. If you just shot off of a traffic light, the miles to empty will drop sharply. Likewise, if you have been driving in the city and then go to steady highway driving the 'miles to empty' will climb.

13.9 gallons with 10 miles to empty means you were driving it pretty hard - how many miles did you get on that tank?
450 miles to that tank.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The low fuel light is suposed to come one on when it thinks it has two gallons left, but I normaly see it come one when there is 50miles till empty. How much you want to trust the computer is up to you.