My First 700 Mile Tank

LThomas

I just fueled up after hitting 700 miles on a tank. I filled 'er up right at 700 miles (had to drive around a bit on my lunch to roll it over the mark). I might have been able to go further put in 13.89 gallons with the vent trick. But my drive home is 40 miles of rural roads and no where to fill up. Next time I might be a bit more adventurous.

The last tank was stinky texaco diesel with PowerService in it. This tank is back to Amoco #2. No premium diesel anywhere in Iowa that I have found yet.

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
The farhtest that I have gone is 783 miles, and the most fuel I have refilled was about 15 gallons.

BTW: was your fuel light on? You can easlily go about 50 miles past low fuel light coming on.

Mthiker

Veteran Member
Welcome to the 700 mile club. Now your goal is 750. I haven't done that yet but it sure fun trying. Now if I can keep me speed below 75 mph I think I could do it.

Keep trying different diesel brands. Here is the North East USA, Moble diesel will very from 40 to 45 citan (spell) rating depending on the station. The rating will have a big effect on your milage and shows itself with our great distance we reach. A rating different of 5 may have up 50 mile range difference.

Remember, after you reach 750 milage you have go for 800.

[ March 30, 2001: Message edited by: Mthiker ]

LThomas

Yes my fuel light was on, it had come on about 30 miles earlier. But given the nature of my commute home I considered it unwise to try for 750. Maybe this tank!

LT

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mthiker:

Keep trying different diesel brands. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In almost 100K miles in my TDI, I can safely say that I NEVER have seen any variation in MPG from different brands. The reason??? All diesel is the same for all practical purposes. This is why I recommend always buying the cheapest available.

Ride

In the summer time I get about 720-730 miles before my fuel light comes on. I usually fill up at Mobil. With winter fuel I can't get anywhere near as far, hopefully my next tank full will be better.