Importing from US

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Has anyone recently tried importing a newer VW recently (MK6 or MK7)? Speciifcally a TDI as they might be treated different now because of the scandal.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Check the RIV website and see what is written in the notes section next to those TDI VWs.

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
The only thing I see under VW is EIS section 9 which talks about immobilization systems. Are VW's not compatible with Canadian requirements?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is the model you after admissible on the RIV website?

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
The RIV website will give it's admissibility status.
From there, contact the port of importation. The US Port will likely want the original title in hand for 48-72 hours before the car is imported.

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
All it says is something about section 9.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/VOLKSWAGEN.htm

I really don't like it when you have to contact customer service because they always have some reason that it's not possible, even though it is. Like BMW insisting that you have to install a Canadian gauge cluster when all you really have to do is know how to change it over to metric.

So I guess the answer to my original question about has anyone done this recently is "no". The help is appreciated, though!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did it too in 2010 to but wasn't a VW. The NY (Fort Erie) crossing didn't ask for the original title (the Sarnia, MI did). But you had to email them the VIN at least 72 weekday hours to their office. Look for the NY website for details. It's not that difficult.