Cars from Storage with trashed parts?

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Mechanic just pulled my O2 sensor out of my new-old 2015 Golf and it was completely obliterated by soot and had been bent and cracked with Channelock pliers.

Anyone else got any fun stories from your new-old stock?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Just rolled over 5K miles on the Passat.

Wife curbed drivers side front rim, one month in going thru one of those "tracked" car washes. Ebay remans of the the Bristol rims are going really cheap, $145 shipped to our door.

Thats all I got

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Mechanic just pulled my O2 sensor out of my new-old 2015 Golf and it was completely obliterated by soot and had been bent and cracked with Channelock pliers.
While I will mention up front that this is the first such story I've read, it adds to the reason that I will not even consider a 2015 TDI. The first reason on the list is that it is now three model years old, which for my money makes the prices I've read some people say they paid for these absurd. I can see how some people will be tempted by one that's being sold new, given the extended warranty on it, but— not me.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
....I am sure there are good and great cars out there
For sure. I just dont think its worth the gamble in my opinion. A 2015 with under 100 miles....maybe....but one with xx,000 miles...thats risky. The extend of those cars being examined (other than safety) is unknown...or is it?

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
9000 km so far on my 2015 NOS GSW. No issues...

...except for the door ding we got at two weeks and 2,000 km.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
For sure. I just dont think its worth the gamble in my opinion. A 2015 with under 100 miles....maybe....but one with xx,000 miles...thats risky. The extend of those cars being examined (other than safety) is unknown...or is it?
Lol my 2015 SEL TDI loaded with options 6 Speed Manual won best in show last 2 Fests with 40K miles was FS here for months no one wanted it....great car!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Turned in my 2012 Passat with clutch retainer spring missing 3-4 fingers. Found them laying on the plastic under shield when changing oil, had Dealer inspect, he confirmed the problem and recommended not driving it until the buyback. Someone will likely be in for a bad surprise if that car is resold with the emissions fix... I put a note under the hood and with owners manual, but chances of those staying there may be low. If anyone comes across a 2012 silver Passat, manual transmission, VIN ending 029940... don't buy it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What do you mean by new/old? Was the car previously sold and titled? If so you bought a used car. Used cars have repairs performed that may not always have been done properly. Not sure why this would be a surprise.

teamyoga

TDI
2015 Jetta TDS SEL (6M)
What do you mean by new/old? Was the car previously sold and titled? If so you bought a used car. Used cars have repairs performed that may not always have been done properly. Not sure why this would be a surprise.
I would merely add that my 2012 Jetta TDI(6M) hasn't had a single "repair" of any sort - aside from dealer service and me sliding under the chassis to change the oil/filter. And so while of course used cars have repairs, used cars also do not have repairs:)

What I'd really like to know is where is all this inventory from 2015 that was stop-sale effected? Should one expect to see low-miles 2015 TDIs flooding the market?

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
I would merely add that my 2012 Jetta TDI(6M) hasn't had a single "repair" of any sort - aside from dealer service and me sliding under the chassis to change the oil/filter. And so while of course used cars have repairs, used cars also do not have repairs:)

What I'd really like to know is where is all this inventory from 2015 that was stop-sale effected? Should one expect to see low-miles 2015 TDIs flooding the market?
Local dealerships in my area have several used "repaired" buyback 2015 TDI models available for sale. The issue is that the asking pricing is still quite high. If you're able to track down a New 2015 TDI (if the VW incentives are still available) that would likely be your best bet.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
I bought it as a new car, but its a 2015 model that was pulled from sale when the lawsuit landed.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
I bought it as a new car, but its a 2015 model that was pulled from sale when the lawsuit landed.
Soooo..... someone at the dealership was swapping parts, and probably charging the customer for a new one they didn't pay for....

This gives a new name to the term "stealership" - and i'd be hot and reporting it to Class Counsel and VW HQ.