Transmission question

nickdvm

TDI
1996 B4V TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL TDI
My big transmission project has given me a massive headache and I was hoping someone here could shed some light on the problem.

I just rebuilt my CTN trans for my 96 B4V. Car and trans have 140k on the clock. Installed a .917 4th gear(from CHA coded trans) and .658 5th along with new synchros and WaveTrac LSD. Installed a SB clutch to handle the extra juice I have on tap. I have been nursing the clutch disk for sometime now. Everything in bellhousing was replaced and all new seals installed. Rebuilt using a VAG rebuild document/manual and Bentley manual.

My problem is with reverse gear. It grinds on gate selection. When I hit the reverse lockout there is something touching that shouldn't be touching. Occurs when moving gear shift lever over to the far left BEFORE pushing forward to engage reverse. Additionally, it grinds when taking OUT of reverse if the car is still rolling. So, a grind on gate selection and a grind when taking out of reverse. This is NOT the grind associated with engaging a non synchronized gear while input shaft is still spinning.

I thought this was an adjustment issue, but I have adjusted every which way but Sunday with no real resolution. I have also been in the trans twice now looking for solution and really getting tired of that rear trans mount on R&R. Especially for a 3rd time!

What am I doing wrong? Perhaps I am dense but cant for the life of me figure out why anything would be touching just moving the selector rod up and down through the shift forks. I dont even care if this a a total face palm moment, just want her going right!

BTW, the tall 4th and 5th is how these should have come from the factory.

I'd like to do the Mk4 shifter upgrade and upgrade to Audi TT LCA bushings. Maybe the trans will be a little easier with LCA's and exhaust out of the way. :p

Last edited:

nickdvm

TDI
1996 B4V TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL TDI
Wow, I didn't expect crickets.

Anyone with an idea?