Car won't start after tailer wiring

FleTDI

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon TDI
Hi Folks
I am on my third Jetta. First an '87 diesel with no electronics (phew, is that ever nice!), then a 2000 TDI sedan which got damaged in an accident but ran perfectly for a year before that, Now I have a 2005 jetta wagon TDI, which has run flawlessly for over a year until today.
Last night I wired in a trailer....now it won't start:
I live in a very remote place where parts are hard to find. I tried first to just wire the trailer up like I have done with many cars before, but quickly realized that I needed an extra (separate) wire for the brake system. So I hooked up the car brake lights to the running/tail lights on the trailer.
At one point I left the brakes on (with a stick) for about ten minutes while I did something else and when I came back the brake fuse had blown. I replaced it and everything worked as planned (minus the running lights on the trailer - I will just run in daylight until I can get a converter).
That was last night...this morning, the car battery was dead - no switches left on, though I did have things on for quite a while while wiring at the back of the car. After jumping/charging, the car won't start. Turns over fine but won't fire.
I have checked all the fuses and all are still OK. All the car lights and the trailer lights function normally or as planned in the case of the trailer.
However, when I turn on the key all the dash lights come on normally and then most go out as is normal EXCEPT the glow plug light and the check engine light. They flicker along with a clicking (heavy) sound behind the central dash. The lights flicker in concert with the clicking at about 1 per second. After about ten seconds the lights stop flickering but stay on while the clicking behind the dash continues. When I go outside and listen at the engine, I can hardly hear the clicking, even though it is very noticeable in the car - so am assuming it is in the dash somewhere, probably at the computer.
Also, my OBD2 won't link to this car. This is the first time I have had cause to try it with this car. Still works on my wife's 1999 Tercel.

I just discovered that there is a 1 amp draw through the large red line that runs from the battery connector/panel that sits on the battery. Not the one that goes to that panel, but the large red one that leaves that panel going down behind the battery (there are also several smaller red ones, but no draw through them).

The only other thing I have done to the car is to send the computer away and got the alarm disabled, but it has worked fine for a year since then.
If anyone has any ideas on this I would really appreciate your input.
Thanks Very much!!
Cheers
GS
Oh and I replaced the worn-out dual mass flywheel with a single mass one and replaced the seals at the drive shafts while I had the transmission out. That continues to run well (and I can't really tell the difference).

Last edited:

FleTDI

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon TDI
Maybe you are having a relay problem, like the 460 relay? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=361207&referrerid=383288
Thanks for this.
I checked out the relays under the dash and it is a relay stamped #53 (there are two of them) but only one clicking continuously - the one with the blue wires going to it. Both of those relays check out fine for both the coil and contact circuits. It doesn't click continuously when on the bench.
I phoned one of the dealers (nearest is a three hour drive away) and they suggested it might be the fuel pump....I have sent pictures to them for positive ID since I can't find a wiring diagram.

Will update as I find out more or have it solved.

Thanks very much
Fleamer

FleTDI

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon TDI
Update on Starting problem...

I checked the lift pump and the filter for flow. Both seem to be fine...fuel gushes out. However, the lift pump dances along in time to the clicking of the relay (#53). Not sure if it continues to run while the engine is turning over...too loud to hear it then.

I am thinking that if there is that much flow out of the filter, there must be enough to get past the tandem pump and start the engine....is that a correct assumption? When it is daylight in the morning I will try to find an exit line from it to test for fuel there. OR if the tandem pump fails (that would be a shaft break if I understand how it works) does it not allow fuel to get through..?

Also, the clicking of the relay is pretty suggestive of an electrical/ECU issue so I think I have to resolve that first. I am now suspecting the clicking relay may be a red herring caused by some other issue that is indicative of something else in the ECU. Why would it be getting intermittent power? The glo-plug light never goes out. I am pretty clueless about ECU issues.

My OBD2 won't establish a connection to the car, however it works fine on my wife's Tercel, so...... are there any other options / suggestions other than getting it towed to the garage and hooked up to the expensive life-support computer there?

Thanks for any assistance
Cheers
Fleamer

Last edited:

FleTDI

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon TDI
Hi Folks
Well, after doing every test on the fuel system I could think of and the many great fuel related tests found on here, I finally had the car towed to a garage for a scan. $70 CDN (in BC) got me the list of codes from the ECU and the suggestion to replace it. Being suspicious of a response that said "first thing I would try is replace the ECU" I doddle a bit, but eventually could think of no other way to figure it out.
I talked to Malone Tuning in Vancouver and they said they could just copy the programming from my old one over to another unit and if it was the computer, the car would fire and drive away. Well, that is exactly what happened!!! Fired up like it never had a problem. Took a week to get the ECU back (Malone had it ready the day they got it). Cost me $330 incl tax and shipping.
Thanks Malone for your great friendly, advice and service!
And Thanks to everyone on this forum who posts with suggestions and a wealth of incredible advice and expertise.

Cheers
Fleamer

Last edited: