Anyone have problems with Tuning Box?

robere

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2003
Hi,
I was wondering for those with tuning boxes (specificly the Speed Buster), If any ppl had premature intake clogging due to the nature of the tuning box (i.e. dumps more fuel with stock air quantity)

I know all tuning boxes essentially do the same thing so anyones comments and feedback are welcome.

The specific tuning box that I own is the Speed Buster(SpeedtuningUSA.com) box for the ALH 90hp engine, with 3 potentometer (sp) screws for adjustment.

robere

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2003
What the powerbox (from speedtuning.com)
does (correct me if i'm wrong)
3 pentometers
1. add more fuel
2. advance timing
3. fools Maf sensor thinking engine is getting
more air( the wire runs to the MAF sensor)

I just think that the dumping of more fuel, runs the car 'rich'(i.e. more uncomplete combustion) and will be more prone to clogging with the added soot?

Help

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
How much is it smoking bottom, middle,or just wot, if so ajust accordingly (turn down,but less power)

robere

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2003
its smoking at WOT (wide open throttle? floored) . . . .Isn't the EGR closed (i.e. not in operation) when I have the pedal floored? therefore I shouldn't be worried about clogged intake since the exhaust gases are not cycling through the intake at WOT( b/c EGR is closed)?

Am I wrong?

rhanks

flex94

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS TDI, 03, Platinum Silver
I've had mine on for 31k miles sine 800 miles on the clock.

I will bust her open and get some pics. I run the psi powerbox.

At wot there is a 'puff' of smoke,...and then nothing noticeable coming out.

What I like to do is 'clean out the intake' in the morning with the italian tune up.

I let a car (dark outside) with its lights on get reasonably close to me while driving on the highway. Then I drop the hammer. POOF the cloud comes out (like spyhunter!) and then a small trail...and then nada....I do this a few times until there is nothing noticeable coming out.

I switch back to stock for a few hundy miles now and again, and attempt the same....and well...can't get the car to smoke at all.

I'll report back, but I also drive a lot of highway, and good fuel, and occassionally use power service as well.

Mike

brenner

Veteran Member
TDI
1960 mercedes benz 180db2001 jetta gls tdi silver,2000 golf gls tdi,2002 dodge 3/4 cummins ho souped up
the only thing I would recommend with this setup is more frequent oil changes,since your engine is working that much harder you definetly will get more engine oil dilution &soot build up in the piston ring area ,I would also monitor the exhaust temp,for the sake of the turbocharger

MileageDude

Veteran Member
original quote by: robere
Hi,
I was wondering for those with tuning boxes (specificly the Speed Buster),
I can not answer your specific request on a specific tuning box. I know my cousin uses a PSI Tuning Box bought off a memeber here on the TDiClub back last August 2003. He had his intake cleaned w/timimg belt change during early April by Herm in Maine.

Herm in Maine said his intake was not very bad in comparison to other intakes he had cleaned. Herm though informatively stated that the fuel used in that car was extremely clear and of high quality. 50++ certane. Low Sulfer.

You are speaking about another type of tuning box other than the PSI and Van Aaken obviously. For those who use the Van Aaken or the PSI, these tuning boxes meet strict standards on emissions in Europe ...TÜV. I think the technology with these two tuning boxes are far more advanced than a tuning box that has "POT" adjusters and a single line to a MAF.

If you're easy on the foot a good tuning box is easy on the fuel. If you're heavy on the foot ...anything will end up clogged, be it modded or OEM.

-If you use low Certane and high sulfer fuel... ooops!

As stated above ...a good Italian Tune Up is worth the gift of Gab.

Me?
Said'nuff.

Do injectors and make ones life easier.

M.D.