Towing with Jetta TDI?

Skimorey

Any towing stories out there? I would be interested in towing a small (possibly enclosed) trailer for a dirtbike. Also a lightweight motorboat (16ft, 85hp outboard). Do these cars have the power/brakes to haul? How about long distance? Thanks!

Liam :)

not a TDI owner yet, but may be soon!
90 SAAB 900 Turbo Grn/Tan leather

Gevaert

Veteran Member
Skimorey,
I remember to have a discussion about towing with TDI's last year, just seach in the forum, mayby on Gevaert and you'll find something. I even think to gave spec's on jetta's, but now Jetta's are out of our markets and specs are not on the web any more.

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
For Jetta, read Bora in Europe, surely...? I can't see any significant differences.

The problem you may find with getting a towbar in N America for a Jetta/Golf is that no-one seems to offer one rated beyond Class 1, which seems to be limited to 2000lb. The vehicles are rated in Europe to tow 2700lbs.

Frankly, the designs of towbars I've found in N America (Reese, Drawtite etc) are all appallingly engineered, requiring holes to be drilled in the boot floor (thus presumably invalidating the Warranty) instead of using the bumper/fender rail mountings provided by VW and intended for precisely that purpose, and which do not require any additional drilling.

It seems absurd to use a relatively weak part of the body and land up with a "pig & a poke" when a much stronger facility is provided by VW.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
The guys on the east side of the pond sure do have many more options. Like engine choices and trailer hitches rated much higher than we get in the states.

I went with the Draw Tite as it at utilizes frame member support on the two points farthest aft (sailing term) and was available at the local Uhaul in my area.

Good luck. You may always contact one of the European guys and see if they will ship a hitch to you, but I wonder if the ball will fit.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Not only have the U.S. TDI's been detuned, they've been detowed too.

[This message has been edited by Turbo Steve (edited November 24, 2000).]

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
Well put, Steve!

I'm bringing a couple of "proper" UK hitches with me for our TDi's, and will fit 2" balls to them - easily done! Then I'll have a hitch which will be a proper job, properly attached, and capable of doing rather more useful work (if I ever want it to) than just carrying a darned bike carrier!

Hope all you Guys over there enjoyed your Thanksgiving yesterday.

Richard der Oelbrenner