Trading in your VW TDI? What will be your next car

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Updating this thread: Jason and I were waiting for pricing information on the all wheel drive Model 3. Tesla announced it at the end of June and we placed our order on June 27th. Red with the 18" aero wheels, long range battery, premium upgrades and Autopilot. It should be here before autumn. :)

madmarty1

TDI
2000 Jetta sedan-gone, 2002 Jetta Sportswagen-gone, 2010 Jetta Sportswagen-gone.
A 2010 with less than 20K?

If the rumors of VW crushing all 2010 and earlier cars are true this is just crazy. I can't imagine VW willing to dump more cash into potential warranty claims of a 2010.
I contemplated taking the fix over the buyback for my 2010 TDI, given its fairly low mileage. But after I read that VW is only warranting the fix for 10 years from the IN SERVICE DATE of the vehicle, with my TDI in service date being 30 Sep 2009 (I bought it new and am the original owner), I decided a buyback would be the wiser choice in my case.

Figured if and when I decided to either sell or trade in the (fixed) TDI, I wouldn't be getting anything close to the VW buyback and reparation amounts--no matter how enthusiastic a buyer might be unless the car somehow became a very high priced collectible, which is extremely doubtful in the near future--maybe 50 years from now after I'm long dead.

If the crush rumor is true, that's a painful thought. If funds were no issue and I could rationalize having two vehicles for myself, which I can't (I'm single), then I might very well have kept a fixed TDI as a hauler, which I don't do much of--although it was certainly nice to have the cargo space when I needed it, or for any long distance driving I might do in the future.

As is, I had close to 9 years of quality time with this TDI. Absolutely no major issues. Pretty much just the cost of routine maintenance, tags, and insurance. Sorry to see it go.....though not sorry enough.

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Pretty sure you get four years warranty from the date of the fix for your car, which would take you to 2022. That's one reason I've waited on the fix.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

madmarty1

TDI
2000 Jetta sedan-gone, 2002 Jetta Sportswagen-gone, 2010 Jetta Sportswagen-gone.
Pretty sure you get four years warranty from the date of the fix for your car, which would take you to 2022. That's one reason I've waited on the fix.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
From VW_BOOKLET_2L-Gen-1-MAN-v4.pdf, "IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR 2009—2014 2.0L TDI Volkswagen GENERATION 1 ENGINE Manual Transmission", page 8:

----------------------------------
"Warranty Period
The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited warranty extension shall be the greater of:

- 10 years and 6 months or 126,000 miles, whichever occurs first from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR

- 4 years and 6 months or 54,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the emissions modification.

The vehicle’s original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a “demonstrator” or “company” car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service."

----------------------------------
I probably would have been able to reach the 4 years and 6 months given my current, low mileage, driving habits and the 17,003 miles presently on my 2010 TDI.

But for me (each to his/her own), the buyout was more attractive than keeping my almost 9 year old TDI for another few years, at which point I'd probably be lucky to get a few hundred, maybe a couple of thousand dollars for it....not to mention the inevitable, increased maintenance costs of keeping an aging vehicle running properly.

After all, the fix warranty doesn't translate into a bumper to bumper warranty no matter which way one looks at it.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I intended to stretch out the process (1k free miles per month) until the bitter end, but President Trump's threats to put tariffs on cars imported from Germany caused me to flinch. I bought a new Buick Regal Sportback yesterday, and so far I really like it.

It's got almost as much cargo capacity as my Jetta Sportwagen; it's comfortable and quiet; it's rated at 32 mpg on the EPA highway cycle; it actually complies with the EPA emission standards, not just with some negotiated settlement that's less than the law required; it's got 260 ft-lbs of torque from 2,000 rpm to 5,000 rpm, which bests the diesel VW; it's got a 9-speed automatic transmission.

What's not to like? Thanks, VW.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Updating this thread: Jason and I were waiting for pricing information on the all wheel drive Model 3. Tesla announced it at the end of June and we placed our order on June 27th. Red with the 18" aero wheels, long range battery, premium upgrades and Autopilot. It should be here before autumn. :)
Sweet. I'll be considering the bare bones base model in a year or two. They should start showing up on the road up here any day now. Glad you'll be eligible for the full tax credit.

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
Thought I would not be looking at another VW again, but checking out a lo mile 2017 Alltrack 6 speed. Satisfies my driving needs and then some.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
I replaced my 2010 Jetta TDI (which I sold back to VW about an hour ago) with a 2018 Toyota 4Runner in the SR5 trim, bare bones with the 4WD option. Needless to say, it's a totally different vehicle with vastly differing driving characteristic and overall feel. Of course, I will have to forget about 60 mpg on highway, I'll be lucky if I crack the 20 barrier.

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Thought I would not be looking at another VW again, but checking out a lo mile 2017 Alltrack 6 speed. Satisfies my driving needs and then some.

Dealers are heavily discounting 2018s, which give you the 6 year warranty. Pretty attractive, especially if you get one with a pano.

saggii

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer - Jetta(s), A6
Congratulations. Red does look good.

I do have a reservation for M3 as well which is of no value as of right now until 35k base becomes available. I really hope they succeed, after all, they were completely able to change the mindset of not just the auto enthusiasts but also for a normal A-B type person. Two things I would recommend them tho - 1. Musk should remove his Twitter account and 2. maintain Apple like secrecy.

Back to the topic, let us know when you get it and if you notice any flaws - i.e. body panel gaps, AC, etc. Congrats again.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
2014 Touareg TDI. Fix money and a great car!

Flipped a Jetta and a Passat

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
2018 VW GTI Autobahn MT in White Silver Metallic @ 0% for 72 months. The minute VW drops that deal I'm all over it. Late October or November.

NewEngland

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Picked up my replacement yesterday. White with brown leather 2018 Subaru Forester Touring. I like sitting almost a foot higher. Also need to occasionally carry a box that won't fit into the VW and the Passat doesn't like my driveway in the winter which can be mistaken for a toboggan run. My turn-in is in October so I can maximize the minimum miles.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Picked up my replacement yesterday. White with brown leather 2018 Subaru Forester Touring. I like sitting almost a foot higher. Also need to occasionally carry a box that won't fit into the VW and the Passat doesn't like my driveway in the winter which can be mistaken for a toboggan run. My turn-in is in October so I can maximize the minimum miles.
I know a lot of people love Subaru's. Particularly, pot-smoking Liberals in Vermont. But I had a terrible experience with a 2006 Outback. Head gaskets blown at 30k miles and again at 60k miles. And a long list of other problems. I'll never buy another Subaru again.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
anyone have comments on the 18 tiguan?
My ex-wife is probably going to be buying one, or a '19 very soon. A friend of mine has a '16 or '17 and loves it.

That's about the only comment I have for now.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Congrats. I have two friends with Foresters and one with an Outback that really like them. My wife says an O/B is in her future... Not sure what we'll do with the '15 TDI. I may keep it as a commuter as I live about 55 miles from my office on I-95 in NoVA/DC area.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
As I mentioned in the Timeline thread, I'm now leaning toward a 2014/2015 gas Jetta/Passat. TDIs sell for a premium over a comparably equipped gas model by several thousand dollars. As the years go on, I don't believe they'll maintain that margin, which only further adds to my depreciation loss.

Plus, the 1.8T gas models are faster than the TDI. Different feel, I know, without the low end torque, but faster nonetheless.

Depending on what I buy, I may net out close to +$10k after receiving the BB money. I might use that to buy an early low mileage Porsche Boxster, which can be gotten for around $10k. That will be my fun Sunday car for 8 months a year.

Last edited:

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the Buy-back (meaning all paperwork is in and just waiting the Notorized and Approved "stamp" to turn-in the 2010 Jetta TDI). I’ve spent the last three years now pondering the “fix” or the “buy back” while I continued to just enjoy driving the TDI without worry...albeit those front seats are the worst on long road trips.

What pushed me to the Buy-back? Well, a couple of things. I do all the mx. It recently turned over 100K miles and normal wear and tear items (most recently, brakes and a rotor were grinding for a change) are beginning to pop up more frequently. Heck, I’ve driven this vehicle uneventfully for nine years (normal preventative maintenance as per VW schedule). But, the more I thought about it the more I realized that regardless of my love for the performance and fuel mileage of the TDI the buyback was just financially a deal too good to pass up ($15,250). But, what to do next?

Luckily, I began a concentrated research effort this spring to narrow down my preferences and desires (wants always exceed needs). https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=488483 (Posts 89 &91)
I didn’t want to have to come to the table with allot of cash unless it was something to reasonable to NOT pass up. I wasn’t going to buy new and I sure as heck was not going to finance anything. But again what to buy as a replacement? Using the TDI as a baseline of performance and fuel mileage it began.

I won’t even bore with the exhaustive vehicle research, searches, test drives, and comparisons meeting my criteria (your mileage would vary). But lets just say excel and a scatter graph came to excellent usefulness. Do your research! My sweet new ride (a one-owner low mileage vehicle with the emission “fix” already accomplished at a very reasonable price:

2014 Audi SQ5 TDI

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
My sweet new ride (a one-owner low mileage vehicle with the emission “fix” already accomplished at a very reasonable price:

2014 Audi SQ5 TDI
May I ask what you paid? Mid-$20's?

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
Low mileage (20K) $29K one owner. Loaded. A deal I just couln't pass up.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Low mileage (20K) $29K one owner. Loaded. A deal I just couln't pass up.
So you had to add about $14k + sales tax on the $29k.

I don't want to add any cash nor go into debt for the replacement. As I said above, I may wind up swapping my TDI for a gas Jetta/Passat and then buy an early Porsche Boxster. I can buy both of those cars for about the BB $$ coming my way. No cash, no auto loan debt.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
After nearly two years of on and off thought, my wife and I decided to sell back the A3--it's not every day you can buy a car, drive it for two years and 40k miles, and sell it for more than you paid for it.

Replacement is this:

A 2018 CPO A4 with 7000 miles. Buyback appointment is 9/21.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
After nearly two years of on and off thought, my wife and I decided to sell back the A3--it's not every day you can buy a car, drive it for two years and 40k miles, and sell it for more than you paid for it.

Or . . . in my case, it's not every day you can buy a car, drive it for 5½ years and 95k miles, and sell it for only $600 less than you paid for it.

This BB is like winning the Lottery. I'm turning mine in real soon.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
A 2018 CPO A4 with 7000 miles. Buyback appointment is 9/21.
The A4 is nice--really nice. Plenty of power, handles nicely, comfortable, plenty of bells and whistles (though it's missing the adaptive cruise control, unfortunately). And it's AWD, which the TDI A3s weren't--not that we're likely to need that much where we live.

But... I've been driving the A3 the last couple of days (hey, it's free miles until we turn it in), and I'm sure going to miss seeing trip averages of 50 mpg on the MFI (it's a little optimistic, but the true average is still 44). We'll be lucky to see 30 mpg with the A4, and it really wants premium.

Part of me thinks we should have looked for an A6 TDI instead--the A6 is a very nice platform, and the 3.0 TDI is a great engine. Decided for the newer car with better warranty, though. Still would love to see more new TDIs in the future.

bobgolf2004

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Camry Hybrid LE
Replaced the 2015 Passat SE TDI 6M with a 2018 Camry Hybrid LE.

The Camry is a very nice car, similar to the Passat in room and trunk space and driving range, even though the tank is only 13.5 gallons (best tank 755 miles). Passat averaged 50.5 MPG over 66,000 miles, no issues, (except for dieselgate) and no repairs. Getting 61 MPG with the Camry for 3,500 miles (with room for improvement) plus paying less per gallon for gas over diesel. Best tank 755 miles. I hope the Camry is as trouble free, and maybe even have its own emissions issue!

Oh yes, the Camry uses 0W-16 oil! Put that in your TDI! (I'm sure Toyota knows what it is doing, but I plan do do some oil samples anyway...)

Last edited:

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
After experiencing the dreaded HPFP failure just out of warranty (117,000 miles) and having to pay for the repair myself, I decided to do the buyback. I really wanted to keep my Golf TDI 6mt, but that repair killed it for me. VW had extended the HPFP warranty to 120k for all models except the 2013 year, which I own. They refused to grant me the warranty coverage.

My original plan was to do the CP3 pump upgrade at 120k and keep the car. Unfortunately, the car didn’t make it to 120k and the CP3 pump kit is no longer available.

I recently purchased a 2005 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5mt with 125,000 miles for $6000, in excellent shape. The mk4 Jetta wagon is made in Germany, also!

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Yep, traded in my 2011 TDI Jetta last year. New car? A 2015 Jetta TDI! With the buyback, the "goodwill" money, and the Bosch money, I just had to pay the sales tax!
And, best part, I still get to drive a TDI! Best engine made for my driving! I just ignore all the political posturing and bloviating that went on. The TDI IS a clean Diesel! No sooty black smoke, nor any Diesel stink.