www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 11th, 2018, 18:37   #16
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2B View Post
Have you asked one to start an ALH below 0F?

I too used to swear by dealer batteries when they were made in Germany by Varta, but I won't buy the Mexico made Enertecs they sell these days due to cold weather fails.

Simon

I've asked one to start my 2000 NB at 8F (about 10-12 years ago), and I wouldn't be surprised if this winter I'm asking for a start below zero, with one nonfunctioning glowplug - as I'm moving to Kansas City at the end of August. Probably need to have the head pulled to get that glowplug out and redress the threads for a new one.
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 12:53   #17
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooperhsd View Post
I've asked one to start my 2000 NB at 8F (about 10-12 years ago), and I wouldn't be surprised if this winter I'm asking for a start below zero, with one nonfunctioning glowplug - as I'm moving to Kansas City at the end of August. Probably need to have the head pulled to get that glowplug out and redress the threads for a new one.
Yeah, but the OEM batteries aren't the same now as they were 8-10 years ago.

What was an excellent battery for years (Varta) has been replaced with a new battery (Enertec) that is incapable of starting an ALH below -10F.

I guess they work fine for those that don't live in cold temps.
Old July 12th, 2018, 13:38   #18
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

If you really want to press the point - when VW was testing the ALH's for the North American market, they took them to Alaska, Yukon and Northwest Territories - without frost heaters, oil heaters etc - and they started fine at -40 .
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 16:36   #19
02tdivw
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf Tdi
Fuel Economy: 4.2-6.5 L/ 100km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
I WOULD buy an OEM battery just for the warranty.

The OEM battery lists at $147 which is already better than most batteries. But when you factor in the 5 years warranty (3 years FREE replacement, 2 years prorated), thats a pretty hard warranty to be at the price.

when your oem battery is dead, dealer charging you $74 for testing the dead battery...for me in 3 years 3 oem battery was dead in winter. no more for me, Bosh AGM work like we need in the tdi car, 2 winter so far so good.
02tdivw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 05:48   #20
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Quote:
If you really want to press the point - when VW was testing the ALH's for the North American market, they took them to Alaska, Yukon and Northwest Territories - without frost heaters, oil heaters etc - and they started fine at -40 .
I started mine at -37F, I had a nearly new Enertec that wouldn't roll it over. I did however make sure to have my Jump and Carry all charged up in my warm hotel room. The engine made some pretty good noises for a few seconds but it fired up.
Old July 13th, 2018, 05:51   #21
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5

AGM batteries in a system not designed for them is NOT an upgrade, in my opinion. Cars that do come with them as factory equipment don't seem to have as long of a life as they should.

I can buy both Bosch and Varta batteries from my suppliers, but when digging a little deeper into the MSDS on them you find Bosch batteries are made by Jonson controls (Interstate), and Varta is made by East Penn (my personal favorite for many years now).

Nobody ships batteries in from Germany anymore due to weight and EPA regs. I checked years ago and found VW factory batteries deep down were East Penn at that time. That was also part of my reason for trying them as a supplier in the first place.

Johnson controls makes a pretty good battery that many places like Costco sell, and I have tried them as my supplier too. My only complaint is that we see many cars come in with three year old batteries that have lots of corrosion due to acid leakage around the posts. That is why I quit selling them. East Penn lasts as well and the battery looks as clean at five years as the day you put it in, as do the factory batteries.

The problem with buying a random battery to try is that it really takes a five year cycle to prove that it is up to the task and wont eat the car away.
pdq import repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 15:06   #22
P2B
Veteran Member

Quote:
One of the OE batteries that came with my ALHs lasted 11 years, the other 12 years, and never failed to start the car in winter. The dealer batteries that replaced them both failed to start at least once during their first winter. I switched to AGM - have only had them one winter but no fails yet.
Simon
2000 Canyon Red Jetta TDI GLS 300K
P2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 15:24   #23
phaser
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49 MPG B-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq import repair View Post
AGM batteries in a system not designed for them is NOT an upgrade,....
Agreed.

Post 92 from this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=391746

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaser View Post
That nice looking Bosch battery is an AGM, and from my reading, AGM batteries require a different charge rate then flooded batteries.

Some interesting reading here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4718475

and here, post #5: https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=420022

and here:

"As with all gelled and sealed units, AGM batteries are sensitive to overcharging. A charge to 2.40V/cell (and higher) is fine; however, the float charge should be reduced to between 2.25 and 2.30V/cell (summer temperatures may require lower voltages).

Automotive charging systems for flooded lead acid often have a fixed float voltage setting of 14.40V (2.40V/cell); a direct replacement with a sealed unit could overcharge the battery on a long drive."

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._glass_mat_agm
Air Filter - EaA208
/ Transmission Oil - VW G50

Last edited by phaser; July 13th, 2018 at 15:36.
phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 21:02   #24
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

My Golf is 14 years old and on its second battery. I used the dealer-sourced OEM. It was the least expensive as well.
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 22:09   #25
rrgrassi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 city 53 hwy

I still use Interstate. Auto Zoo used to be good, and Oh Really used to sell Interstate. Costco does sell Interstate.

06 Jetta TDI BRM 248K
03 Golf TDI ALH 380K+
90 Dodge D250 Cummins 12V 400K
rrgrassi is offline   Reply With Quote