Airbag controller

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black
HELP!!!! ARG! I'm ready to purchase a 2001 golf TDI but have determined that the air bag controller is the one that
has a conflict with the VAG-COM software.
1 - does anyone know what a replacement controller (that removes the conflict) costs?

2 - Anyone lived with this conflict (I imagine if the airbag fault light is on the car would not pass inspection)

DOH!!

3 - should I abandon this prospect which is excellent (as far as I can tell) in every other way?

4) cross posted to TDI 101 forum.....Hope I didn't do something wrong in duplicating my cry for help here.....

Rob "need advice fast" M
Concord, MA

TEJ823

TDI
99.5 Jetta, Green
Do not know how much it costs or what problems changing the controller will cause, but in Virginia a Airbag or ABS light on is a reject for the state inspection. (Found this out the hard way). Check with IMPEX for prices and compare with the local dealer...saved about $140 on a replacement right front airbag unit.

BTW the are no 'light bulbs' to remove, the lights for the various indicators are LEDs that are bulit into the circuit board for the gauge clusters

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I have one of the suspected bad controlers and have scanned it about 6 times with no problems. They do not all have the problem only some with that number. If the light is on go ahead and scan it you have nothing to loose. Mine looks to be a harnes problem on the drivers seat bag. It started out as an intermitant problem that could be reset and not come back for a couple of weeks. Now it stays on all the time, with a different code. I have not fixed it mine yet, i think the seat need to come apart to change the harnes. It may just be a connector problem.

Vroom

Veteran Member
TDI
mrrobmora
If the car is still under warantee, the dealer should replace it... they did it for me after I scanned it with my Vag-com.

If the light isn't yet on, you might still be okay - you really have no reason to scan it anyway. Unless of course you get a legitimate code one day and need to clear it, whereupon trying to do so would trigger the permanent light. If you don't want to buy a new controller in that case (and they're not cheap) you could still take apart the instrument cluster and remove the light <= not a fun task either.