On the Fence

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI. DSG turned in ,2014 Passat Tdi se,2015 golf sel dsg
I'm a long time Tdi owner and missing my 2010 JettaTDi.I've been thinking of
buying a used 2015 Jetta SEL.Was wondering if the people that bought these 2015 fixed Tdis are happy with them,are you satisfied with the performance
and mpg. Thanks for any comments

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Background -
I owned an 2011 JSW for 125K or so
I own a 2015 GSW SEL for 70K or so, goign back in 3 days
I just bought a 2015 Golf SE yesterday.

The 'fix'

1- MPG. No differnce to me with a sample size of one. Coming home from Charlottesville to eastern Va I got an indicaited 51.5 MPG. I got 51.2 MPG to work this AM (30 miles mixed). This is about what I get in the wagon, maybe actually a bit better. Need several fuelly runs to see, also this car is on OEM contis and 17's, my wagon is on 18's and PZero A/S plus UHP.

2- Performance - It's similar, but NOT the same. There is a slight loss in power. Im nto sure if it's the motor, or the DSG. The DSG holds gear longer when rolling on the throttle. Going up an on ramp today I had to manually down shift it. I don't mind this, but there is DEFINITELY a different map in the DSG. Sport mode does not hold down a a gear either. I need more time on it, but it seems theyve remapped "D" to mean "economy" and "S" to mean Sport without the annoying gear hold. Jury is out. It does seem a bit more slugglish and I dont like the way it ants to hold higher gear. Also, it wants to shift way too early out of first for my taste. I'd bet they made more changes to the DSG than the engine.

Its highly likely this car will see a tune in the next six months. I am not unhappy with it, and maybe the DSG is still in 'learning mode' with me, but I dont like the way it shifts from first, and I dont like the way it holds gear when you want to accelerate. Luckily the car has paddles and this encourages more interaction.

I'm pleased with the car. There are too many variables to determine MPG effects, but I can say this - the golf (mind you with 17" OEM tires) vs my golf wagon, hit 50MPG by the halfway point of my work commute this AM. A 'good day' in the wagon has always been 44 MPG by this point on the trip. By the end of the commute, the golf had hit 51.2. The wagon has been doing 49 on good days as of late. This data means nothing really, however - as it is not empirical.

I feel the EA288 in the MK7 platform is the pinnacle of VW's diesel endeavors in the US. The jetta MKVI is not my thing, unless you get the SEL. Nice car, you just can't toss it about like you can the MQB.

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
Borsig thanks for your detailed response ,I agree the MK7 platform is really great.I bought
my daughter a 2017 golf wolfburg edition with the 1.8 turbo. It's a great little car,so much
fun to drive but too small for me that's why I'm considering the Jetta.

Borsig

TDI
We have an outback. Size thing is taken care of. If I needed the size of a sedan, the jetta is quite good.

The small golf is perfect for us as a companion to the outback 3.6R.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
We got the Phase I of the Gen III fix within 2 weeks of it being announced.

General impressions - Similar to Borsig's. My car is still getting broke in (only 36,000 miles so far). I usually drive around town in S (not D), highway I will drive in D. If I'm cruising in a hilly area and don't want it to keep shifting gears - I put it into manual mode. S mode is pretty comparable to the way I drive my 2000 NB with a 5 speed manual.

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
Borsig you mentioned the DSG seems to have as much of an performance
issue as the engine after the fix.Im wondering if cars with a manual trans would
be less effectived by the fix.If that's the case I should be looking for
a manual Tdi.

Borsig

TDI
I wouldnt call it an issue.

Its just different. Its probably a better way of selection sport and drive