Broken Cat

Th3_Ac3

TDI
1998 Beetle
Recently I discovered my exhaust has broken about 2" down from the CAT on my 98 Beetle TDI (good thing someone was outside of the car when I started it it has literally made no noise difference other then my blow off)
I was going to run to Canadian Tire in the morning and grab a small sleeve as a temp fix but started reading into a CAT delete...
I'm weighing out the options and is there an advantage to deleting to CAT?
I'm seeing it won't throw a code and as long as my CEL is off I'm more then likely going to pass my etest..
Also, I'm getting mixed pipe diameter sizes for my exhaust I keep seeing 2" and 2"1/4 and if I'm going with sleeve I'll need to be right above that.
Thanks guys!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
For all intents and purposes there is no advantage to deleting the cat, unless you are racing. It does do good for its intended purpose and your worries about passing are also negated as well. Have it rewelded and be done with it. Why pollute when there is little to gain?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I agree. All my TDIs are modded, yet they all retain their stock catalysts. If you are doing some crazy 200hp buildup with a giant turbo and stuff, then a larger downpipe may be a plus, but on a stock to mostly stock engine it is not necessary.

Besides, the meager one-way catalysts on VE and PD cars DO work.