DSG oil change

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
So I am going to start my dsg fluid change today. I fully understand both methods of doing so but have one question regarding the measure and replace method. (Which is what I will be doing) since there is no real single jacking point to get a floor jack under the rear can I just put the front on ramps and proceed with the change? Seems to me that if I can get at least the 4.5 liters out then this should be OK. If more comes out that's a plus right?
Advice please.

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
So I did you he fluid change. Used the measure and refill method. I leveled the car the best I could using ramps up front and a floor jack at the rear. The large tube connecting the rear suspension makes for a good lifting point.
Anyhow letting the tranny drain, fluid cold I gout exactly 4.370 ml and replaced bit with 4.5 ml.
The extra 130ml should account for what was held in the filter as well as residual in the drain bucket right?
Test drive went perfect. Smoother shifts and no hesitation. One thing is now VCDS shows a few codes pertaining to the steering wheel as well as the radio. Will these clear up with regular driving? There are no check engine lights. Other than vcds showing the codes there is no other indication of anything being wrong.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Yes they will clear up.

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
Nice. Thanks for the info. And anyone doing the measure and refill method. I was concerned about doing it this way but once I got into it it really only makes sense to do it this way. (Assuming there are no tranny leaks)
Thanks again for a the great help.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
you can run the DSG adaptation if you like, using the VCDS. search for details.

Eliminateur

TDI
Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG 2007
interestingly, my DSG only has 3.5L.....

that's how much it emptied, and when i filled if i go ever slightly above that it starts to drain through the snorkel immediatly.

So i closed the snorkel, put ~50ml more for the filter and closed everything

i don't know if i'm going to do the "drive then drain", probably not, going to leave it as is

OldIron

TDI
2002 Double Yellow Beetle 5 Speed
Odd...
I have a 2014 Passat TDI and the bride has a 2013 Jetta TDI.
Changed DSG oil and filter in both, and hers took 4.5L to overflow and mine started to overflow at 3.5L.
Was there a major DSG housing change or something??
Very strange...

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
just to verify the overflow is supposed to be running, having gone through all gears, at the specified temperature.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
just to verify the overflow is supposed to be running, having gone through all gears, at the specified temperature.

This never goes away, does it?

Skip the tool, VCDS, measuring temps and other esoteric steps. Drain, top fill with 4.6L. Be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No issue, if you want to drain and fill, press on.

if you want to use the overflow to set level, use the procedure.

in between could get you in trouble.

(like drain, install the snorkel, and fill from the top til it comes out the bottom. not sure what you would end up with)

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Turn the steering wheel several times from lock to lock and the steering codes will reset.
Backup and stop forward and stop several times will reset the ABS as well.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Leveling car

When I did my dsg maintenance I made four ramps by stagering three cut pieces of 2x8s for each ramp. It gave me just enough room to get under the car to get at the dsg drain plug.

I did this in the garage where I verified that the floor was pretty level.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
Next time 4.6 L from the top but this time I messed up on keeping track of the quantity going in. Actually I made the mistake after filling of pulling the plug without the car running. I had the Vas6262A tool so used it to put in 1 liter more and get the level correct with pan warm and engine running. To estimate the pan temperature I compared it to the touch with a pitcher of water at 40 degrees C.

Warm fluid that initially came out filled a 3.78 L washer fluid jug plus an original 1 L bottle 1/2 full.