'96 Passat Sunroof Seal

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
So...I read through all the threads about cleaning sunroof drains. Checked all 4 of them and found them all to be clear. I tried adjusting the sunroof, per Bently. I still had a leak. When I say leak, the entire perimeter of the headliner opening for the sunroof was wet. This was after <1minute of running water over the sunroof.

So, I ordered a new seal, thinking how bad can it be? Oh, it's bad. Blisters on both thumbs.

I'm pretty much committed to the new seal; I pulled off the old one and have made several attempts to install the new seal, but no luck. I get 2-3" and then it comes off. Going around a corner seems to be easiest to get started. The straight edges are what's killing me.

BTW...The front suspension is apart, going back together tomorrow, and we are enjoying pretty fair weather. Although I do have the roof covered with plastic, just in case.

Anyone have any tips?

Tony

dauber

Veteran Member
have never done it on a VW or a sunroof, but soapy water helps with rubber and glass

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, the problem is that the seal is rubber and the mating surface surrounding the glass is rubber too. So soapy water might nelp there. The other part of the problem is part of the seal that fits into the 'glass' is a little large. i.e. the mating surface around the glass may be a little small.

Also, I think that if the temps were a little higher, both parts of the rubber (glass & seal) would be more compliant and would go together a little better.

Have to keep trying. Taking the glass and seal out my brother tomorrow to see if he has better luck with it. He has more patience & experience for autobody repairs.

Tony

dauber

Veteran Member
I also remember using vaseline working with glass seals on my boat window and having to cut some of the seal as it was not going on until I made a small slice in the rubber seal to make it fit. I know who I am going to ask if I need to replace that seal in the future...

I am in the middle of a headliner change. Headliner is out and I am going to to install it tomorrow after I scub all the old foam off of it.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I finally got it on. Use silicone spray on the gasket and on the 'T' around the perimeter of the sunroof. Be prepared to take lots of little breaks - your thumbs will thank you. Lots of perserverence.

Tips:
1) Start at the long edges to get used to 'rolling' it into place.
2) Capture the 'L' into the bottom side groove, then 'roll' it over the top edge to expand it and capture the top.
3) As you roll into place, watch the top side, it should grab & hold. If not, try a little more silicone spray on both surfaces.

BTW...VW PN: 357877209A

Tony

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
I'm about to attempt the same sunroof seal change, sunroof is removed from the car in the closed position. Now that it's out, I see the same issue with the glass separating from the frame as a few others have described. I have a spare glass panel that looks good, will probably change the seal on it being I already have it in hand. Is it OK to change the seal with the glass panel off of the sunroof assembly? I know I'll have to follow the glass panel height adjustment shown in the Bentley when I put the glass panel back in.

I see a section in the Bentley called Parallel Alignment adjustment. With everything out of the car, I looked at mine and I see that Pin 3, shown in the Parallel Adjustment diagram doesn't line up with the notch in the sunroof frame on both sides, both are a little off. Even before I removed the sunroof, seemed like the whole mechanism wasn't quite right. As per the procedure, with the cable drive removed, I slid the guides on each side so that this Pin 3 lines up with the notches. This adjustment also mentions a second item, "Locating hooks must be engaged in guide rails". This one I don't quite understand. Has anyone had any experiences with this adjustment they could share?

While I'm at it, I wanted to make sure the cable drive motor is timed correctly. The Bentley describes the procedure, but I'm not quite understanding it either. The A position is full tilt open, and B position is roof all the way open? The 0 position is two turns from A and 8.25 turns from B?

Last edited: