Exhaust fume smell in cockpit at idle/low speed - EGR issue?

BaconMan

TDI
2004 1.9 TDI
Hi all.

After solving one problem, I'm on to the next.

I get a good whiff of fumes inside the car - especially at idle/low speeds. Putting the air recycle on seems to help if that helps diagnosis.

My searching has lead me to a possible issue with the EGR.

Now, can I just replace the part with a new one? Or will cleaning it out fix it? £35 for a part isn't too bad, but it's £35 don't have to spend if I don't need to.

My concern is just getting a new part and it's not the mechanism, but the electrics or sensor or something.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I bet this is not what's causing the exhaust smell in the cabin.

What colour is the car?

Pop the hood and look for soot evidence on the bonnet. Start looking below that area.

Hints:
-Check the EGR cooler valve bushing
-Check the EGR plumbing for cracked "flexpipes".

Mostl likely you will need to have the car on lift for this to properly diagnose.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Do your engine idle runs with the aircraft facing into the wind.:rolleyes:

Oh, on your car. Cleaning it won't fix the problem. More likely your EGR is leaking at I think it is the shaft seal for the butterfly valve if your EGR is the same as our BRM EGR valves.

Last edited:

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
More likely your EGR is leaking at I think it is the shaft seal for the butterfly valve if your EGR is the same as our BRM EGR valves.
I think he means that the EGR Cooler is leaking exhaust gas from the butterfly valve stem located at the base of the engine. This is a known problem and the fixes are various. See $5 Fix EGR Cooler, or Epoxy fix, or Bushing Replacement, or Frank06 Weld it shut, or just plane $700 replacement.