Northeast and California emissions info from VW

Denton T. Young

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
My car was purchased in Nevada and it had the CA emissions package. Don't worry about it. Even if the cars were different, the smog impact fee was repealed last year.

------------------
'00 Bright Green Golf GL TDI

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen
Hi all,

I just received a disconcerting message from VW. I wrote them asking why is it that there is a separate emissions option for CA and the Northeast if all TDIs are 50 states legal for that? The reply was that the cars shipped to California and the northeast are specifically built for their emissions standards and are different than the others. Can someone please fill me in on what is the difference? I'm about to buy a NB TDI in Nevada and all I've heard from this forum so far is that there is no problem. What's the deal?

------------------
Jack from Anaheim
'70 convertible VW Bug.

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
If they are built differently, my guess is that it is in the ECU/ECM's software. I am not aware of any mechanical or electrical parts that are different.

CTracer

When I purchased my Golf, I was told by my dealer in CT that the Northeast emissions package did not apply to TDI's since they are 50 state compliant. I was also not charged for this so called package. I highly doubt VW is making special TDI's for the NE and CA but I am no expert in this area. I just hope I pass emissions when I have to get tested in August!

CTracer
MkIV Golf

ckimball tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Red
To my knowledge, the TDI'S are ALL 50 state compliant....Vw has come up with various "scenarios" in their explanation of why not to ship to Calif. In my opinion its all BS!. this car runs cleaner, better, more efficiant both in fuel mileage and space than ANY OTHER car in its class (gas or diesle) and ANY OTHER catagory for that matter (A GEO Metro or Honda (yuck!!) CRX CANNOT haul 4 to 5 people ((depending on a bug or a Jetta)) and all your junk, to the river comfortably and still get 50+- mpg going 80 mph)...I wouldnt even THINK of driving one of those vehicles at 80 mph!!!!
I feel it is a shame that the "entities" involved cant agree that this engine is so frugal, environmentaly correct (DOSENT STINK OR SMOKE like my Oldsmobile diesle does!!! ((old technology)) a car that is WITHOUT A DOUBT safer than the above mentioned and push them to the masses like in Europe. before I purchased my car I had read about this engine (in 86) and started to really research it and there is NOTHING that comes close in performance etc!!!. With the all mighty "BARREL of OIL" at 25.00+- per, VW should pumping these in droves. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A TDI COMMERCIAL EVER!!!! "IF THEY WOULD BUILD IT, THEY WOULD BUY IT!!!!" Hey VW, can I have a job in your marketing dept????
Cameron

------------------
Cameron Kimball
98 Jetta TDI Tornado red
81 MBZ 300SD 390,000
77 MBZ 300D 505,000
79 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Diesel (no laughing It is a great car!!)
47 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe
57 GMC pick up
94 Dodge Ram

Cummins Driver

TDI
2011 Golf 6 Speed manual, Candy White
You make a very good point. The TDI's sold here all have the "Northeast Emissions Package" installed on them at $100. No one seems to know what the technical differences between a car with the package and one without.

I think the more pertinent issue is which vehicle releases more pollutants? A car that must burn 4 gallons of fuel to travel 100 miles or one that burns 2.9 gallons? Consider both cars are late 90's pollution technology and well maintained.

One also has to wonder when the cost of fuel will become more of defining factor in autmotive marketing. There will surely come a time when the public says they'll gladly trade the supposed pollution issues for the 2-3X mileage increase.

Thats why 25% of the cars in Europe are diesel with fuel taxed to the point it sells at $4-$5/gallon.

------------------
Y2K Jetta TDI GLS 5-spd
Cool White/Beige Leather

1999 Dodge/Cummins 3500

Father a VW dealer in Lorain, OH 1959 - 1970

Autopilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2K Jetta 5 spd Canyon Red, 2013 JSW 6MT
I've mentioned in a couple of other threads on this topic that I think the $100 is for an extended warranty on a bunch of engine components. In the Federal Emissions section of the manual, this stuff is spelled out in a lot of detail. In there, it is pretty clearly stated that none of the fuel delivery components, and very little of anything else that is not contained inside the engine block itself is NOT covered under the 100k powertrain warranty.

This section details the following stuff as 2 years or 24,000 miles:

EVAP Canister
EVAP Canister Purge Valve
Mass Air Flow Sensor Assy
Three Way Catalytic Converter
ECU and Power Supply Relay
Electronic Feedback Controls, Sensors, Switches and Valves
Exhaust Gas Recirculation System
Exhaust Manifold and Gaskets
Exhaust Pipe Up to Catalytic Converter
Fuel Filler Neck Restrictor
Fuel Filler Cap and Gasket
Fuel Injectors, Fuel Injector Lines and Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Tank
Gravity Check Valve
Knock Sensor
Malfunction Indicator Light
OBD system
Glow Plugs
Diesel Fuel Injection Pump and Associated Controls
OBD Date Link Connector
Oxygen Sensor
PCV Valve
Charge Air Cooler
EVAP Leak Detection Pump
Turbocharger and Wastegate
Secondary Air Injection Pump and Associated Controls
Emission-Related Hoses, Gaskets, Clamps and other accessories used with the above components

For 8 years or 80,000 miles the coverage is only on the following:
Catalytic Converter
ECU
OBD Diagnostic Device

The "California" Warranty extendeds the coverage for a lot of the 2 year stuff out to 7 years or 70,000 miles including (for the TDI):

Catalytic Converter
Charge Air Cooler
Exhaust Manifold
ECU
Fuel Tank
Intake Manifold
Transmission Control Module
Turbocharger
Diesel Injection Pump

There is also a statement in the front of the Emissions Section that basically says that Vermont and Mass. have the same coverage as the California cars.

TopDog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Autopilot:
I've mentioned in a couple of other threads on this topic that I think the $100 is for an extended warranty on a bunch of engine components. In the Federal Emissions section of the manual, this stuff is spelled out in a lot of detail. In there, it is pretty clearly stated that none of the fuel delivery components, and very little of anything else that is not contained inside the engine block itself is NOT covered under the 100k powertrain warranty.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this is the case, the $100 for the "special emmisions" is a cheap way to extend the warranty. I can imagine that the turbo and injection pump are big buck$ to replace! If I do get a TDI, than I may get one that has it!

------------------
Remember: Amateurs built the Ark and professionals built the Titanic!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Jackmc:

If you have a Nevada dealer willing to sell you the car, you are in fat city. If you are buying it through a Nevada address with a relative or friend, then wait for 7500 miles to transfer to California. Just my opinion.

After that, just enjoy the beast.

VW is suffering from the problems of CARB beating them up over particulate emissions. That is why there is a withdrawal from the NY cnd CA markets. As soon as we get ultra low sulphur fuel and good particulate traps, you'll see TDIs on you local VW lot again. Unfortunately, that will be a few years in the future.

The difference? The above mention of the extended warranty required on CA and NY is the first decent explanation I have seen on why there is that $100 charge.

------------------
Always interested in steep & deep.
Ski resorts closed! Break out the cameras and fly rod ...

POM

Veteran Member
I have a feeling (just a guess without proof) that the difference between CA emissions cars and non-CA emissions cars is the sticker they put under the hood and the warranty differences mandated by CA emissions laws. I bought a 99 NB TDI in CA (I live in OR). It did not have anything listed on the window sticker about emissions, nor did I pay the $100 surcharge. It did have the sticker under the hood and the extended emissions warranty info in the manual. My 00 NB TDI (bought in WA) I believe doesn't have the emissions sticker, nor does it have the extended warranty info in the manual. So just a guess is that there is no difference except the sticker. (My unsubstantiated 2 cents)