VW's Official TDI website

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDIzumSpass

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M
mctkmt said:
OK, can anyone confirm this? I was told today by my TDI mechanic in Indiana that within the last month V W has recalled the glow plugs for all TDI's. Apparantly they have redesigned the new plugs and even if you have ordered new ones from anywhere else, including TDIPARTS.COM as long as you have the reciept. Can anyone confirm this, I have checked the search option and could not find anything. PLease advise.
I just did a Google search, and all I could come up with was a recall for PD (Pumpe Duese) ceramic glow plugs, replaced with metal ones. See the following link: http://dieselinside.com/?p=151

I agree with you that something is also wrong with the 2009-2010 glow plugs. I got the "Engine Fault Workshop" followed by the flashing glow plug light today. Let's hope that VW will do diligence by re-engineering all of the faults in the new CR diesels, issue recalls so that we don't have to pay for their engineering F***-ups.:p

As an engineer myself, I don't give excuses to others for not doing the right thing for the customer. Of course, the bean counters decide. But if they don't get this model ironed out, their U.S. diesel market will be history. There aren't enough die-hard techies out there to finance a line of cars that is full of bugs.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
TDIzumSpass, should read this thread. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269501 . Very strong statement on how well VW has done with the 09/10 cars. Many threads also on how well the diesel model has done in the JSW model. I believe it sells over 70% of their JSW models in diesel, AND 30% in there sedans and growing. It seems to me the only thing that will keep diesel from growing here in the US is not VW'S product, but our government and CARB.

TDIzumSpass said:
I just did a Google search, and all I could come up with was a recall for PD (Pumpe Duese) ceramic glow plugs, replaced with metal ones. See the following link: http://dieselinside.com/?p=151

I agree with you that something is also wrong with the 2009-2010 glow plugs. I got the "Engine Fault Workshop" followed by the flashing glow plug light today. Let's hope that VW will do diligence by re-engineering all of the faults in the new CR diesels, issue recalls so that we don't have to pay for their engineering F***-ups.:p

As an engineer myself, I don't give excuses to others for not doing the right thing for the customer. Of course, the bean counters decide. But if they don't get this model ironed out, their U.S. diesel market will be history. There aren't enough die-hard techies out there to finance a line of cars that is full of bugs.

TDIzumSpass

Veteran Member
TDI
coolbreeze said:
TDIzumSpass, should read this thread. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269501 . Very strong statement on how well VW has done with the 09/10 cars. Many threads also on how well the diesel model has done in the JSW model. I believe it sells over 70% of their JSW models in diesel, AND 30% in there sedans and growing. It seems to me the only thing that will keep diesel from growing here in the US is not VW'S product, but our government and CARB.
If you limit the issues to "mechanical problems" you are excluding some of the most expensives problems. Sensors, ECM's, etc. can be quite expensive. So can hours of troubleshooting (once the warranty expires) and software updates (they will not be free, either). As for U.S. sales of diesels, that could change pretty quickly if word gets out that these cars have poor reliability. I am shocked at the cost of some of the components that owners have reported. Don't get me wrong; I am a HUGE diesel fan, but there is no excuse for owners to have so many problems with NEW cars. I have also noticed they have made several changes to the 2010 models. IMHO, they should have focused on fixing all of the problems in the 2009 models.

TDIzumSpass

Veteran Member
TDI
Incidentally, I know 3 friends of our family that used to own a VW Diesel, but got rid of them because they were so problematic. They were spending a lot of money on their cars, and despite liking the car, were at their wits' end and sold them. Apparently, VW diesels are not for the faint of heart (or light of wallet). If each of these 3 people tell 100 others about their headache, you can almost guarantee they won't buy a VW diesel.

I am a bit disappointed myself. I have a 1997 Jetta (gasser) with 230K, that runs more reliably than my 09 JSW with 11k. I did not shell out 25k to bring the damn car into the dealership every other month or to be laying under the car every week (after warranty) like I've done with my other cars.:mad:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
The CR-TDI has a different problem. It is extra sensitive to exhaust leaks. The recall covering glow plugs is for Mk4/B5.5/V10 TDIs. Mk5 TDIs are not affected by the recall.

And to make it more confusing there are two recalls for basically the same issue of glow plug durability. One is for NGK plugs and the other is for Bosch. One recall checks which glow plugs are installed then replaces one brand and reflashes the ecm if the glow plugs are replaced. The other reflashes the ecm if the other glow plug brand is installed.

Jason

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
TDIzumSpass said:

As an engineer myself, I don't give excuses to others for not doing the right thing for the customer. Of course, the bean counters decide. But if they don't get this model ironed out, their U.S. diesel market will be history. There aren't enough die-hard techies out there to finance a line of cars that is full of bugs.[/quote]

I'm sorry, but the 2009 Jetta TDI sold all 30K+ TDIs sent to the US by early August. VW plans call for more than 50K+ Jetta TDIs for 2010 and by the way the dealers out here in California can hardly get you one I'd say their on their way.

As for glowplug problems..........even here on this forum it's almost a non item?????

The 2009/10 is not full of bugs by any means. :)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269501
Have you checked out this site on the forum:

firecrow

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat Wagon TDI
GTIDan said:
As for glowplug problems..........even here on this forum it's almost a non item?????
Well, in comparision to us poor bastards who've had balance shaft de-chaining? Yeah, the GP recall is pretty tame. I still have the ceramics and until they sort their **** out, those are staying in. I need my car to start at 3am for a fire call.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
What word getting out? If you go by this forum the word is first year reliability is good. It sounds like you have had some issue's and that is unfortunate, but there will always be a percentage of new car owners that have issues. I am not saying that VW diesels have not been problematic, what I am saying is these 09/10 owners have been extremely happy with their cars and report few issues. The real gauge is if we polled all 09/10 owners and asked them if they had to do all over again would they buy their car again would they or if VW offered to take it back but they could not get another vw would they do it. My guess is over 80% would not give up their car. If we poled current 09/10 owners if they share positive or negative feedback about their cars with friends I believe the norm will be positive. So I think if any word is out it is what a great car we have and the media seems to love it also. VW must bring up long term reliability to match company's like Ford,Honda, and Toyota if they plan to double sales here in the US in the near future, but so far so good in my opinion.

TDIzumSpass said:
If you limit the issues to "mechanical problems" you are excluding some of the most expensives problems. Sensors, ECM's, etc. can be quite expensive. So can hours of troubleshooting (once the warranty expires) and software updates (they will not be free, either). As for U.S. sales of diesels, that could change pretty quickly if word gets out that these cars have poor reliability. I am shocked at the cost of some of the components that owners have reported. Don't get me wrong; I am a HUGE diesel fan, but there is no excuse for owners to have so many problems with NEW cars. I have also noticed they have made several changes to the 2010 models. IMHO, they should have focused on fixing all of the problems in the 2009 models.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
TDIClub & Register.COM?

I have been getting re-directed to some sort of Register.COM version of TDICLUB.COM Register.Com that seems to indicate some sort of upcoming change/consolidation ??????

LamontTDI

TDI
2012 GOLF TDI
To view the history of the website, use waybackmachine (type wayback machine into google to get the address)

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
It would be great if the "diesel tracker" had a trip version so you could find cheapest diesel prices while on a trip.

Yep, gasbuddy works great. My Passat has the travellink but it can't be trusted. I would have rather had a 4 year free subscription to the music then the useless weather and fuel prices that's never right. :mad:

sailorguy

TDI
2005.5 Jetta Sedan TDI
Am on my third TDI! Original = 2005.5 Jetta Stick--averaged 55 mpg on highway and around 35 mpg in town. Now have 2012 Passat and 2013 Beetle Convertible. Passat gets about 38 mpg on highway and 30 mpg in town. Beetle is too new but looks like 30 mpg in town. Am looking for biodiesel dealers in or very near Manassas. VA. Have a great TDI day!

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Am on my third TDI! Original = 2005.5 Jetta Stick--averaged 55 mpg on highway and around 35 mpg in town. Now have 2012 Passat and 2013 Beetle Convertible. Passat gets about 38 mpg on highway and 30 mpg in town. Beetle is too new but looks like 30 mpg in town. Am looking for biodiesel dealers in or very near Manassas. VA. Have a great TDI day!
I'm sure the Passat will improve from that. Most people are getting mid 40s with no issues.

Remember about biodiesel: the Passat and Beetle can't use more than 5% (B5) per VW. However, a number of people have used B20 by watching their oil level and condition carefully. Don't even think about using higher than B20. The common-rail TDIs will have all kinds of issues, and VW will not cover any engine issues if you do.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
sailorguy;4221364[B said:
]Am on my third TDI![/B]
I think about seven VW's have lurked in my garage over the years.

Four have been diesels. It all started with a bug, then a Porsche 914 (really a VW with a Porsche 5-speed transmission) then a Karmann Ghia.

The diesel input began with a brand new 1981 Rabbit 5M. A turbocharged Quantum 5M followed.

Recently I sold my 1982 Rabbit Diesel PU 5M after 27 years and 300,000 miles.

The restoration guy turned it (after paint/upholstery et al upgrades) and pocketed $12,000 less his expenses.

He's a nice guy and the little trucklet looked great.

Enter the TDI. This sailor has ab-so-lutely zero buyer's remorse

ez

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
e golf is ok but we need a hybrid diesel electric like the 1.6 ltr bluemotion golf only one that will go even more than 73 mpg's.

Status
Not open for further replies.