www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 17th, 2017, 20:47   #1546
benIV
Veteran Member

I'm sorry to hear. I wish you well in your retirement and I'll keep you and your wife in my prayers. I hope you have good luck with the sale and your 03 finds a good home!

ps. i'm taking in my mother's 74 super beetle convertible.. don't be shy with tips and hints and what not in your 71 resto. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Wife's health reasons brings us down to needing only one major car and it has to be something easy for her to get in and out of and carry a wheelchair (our Hyundai Santa Fe). I still have the '71 Beetle as a local run around car for me. I fully retired this year and will be sticking close to home to help the wife. Really don't need three cars.

If I could keep the 2003 Jetta in the family I would, but, the kids don't care to drive a manual transmission (and already have newer cars) and there is no one else to pass it along to (granddaughters are too young).
OCD TDICLUB MEMBER #6 - 2003 TDI Mafia Member
Orville, 2003 Jetta 5m Sedan
Knurren, 2003 Jetta 5m Wagon (Golf Variant)

1974 Super Beetle Conv, 1956 Mercedes 560 SL
benIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 21:02   #1547
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benIV View Post
I'm sorry to hear. I wish you well in your retirement and I'll keep you and your wife in my prayers. I hope you have good luck with the sale and your 03 finds a good home!
ps. i'm taking in my mother's 74 super beetle convertible.. don't be shy with tips and hints and what not in your 71 resto. lol
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. On the Super, join The Samba website (if you already haven't) as it is a wealth of information for early VW's. I'll continue my 71 thread here too.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 06:19   #1548
Blacktree
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42.8 mpg (mostly city)

My first car was a '74 Beetle with the 1600cc engine.

Remember last summer, when I installed the computer fans onto the intercooler? I noticed (thanks to my ScanGauge II) that the intercooler was heat-soaking in slow traffic. The IAC readings would sometimes reach 70*C. Readings of 60*C+ were very common. I had some 90mm computer fans laying around, so I stuck 'em on the intercooler with a thermal switch. It was a temporary arrangement, just to see what would happen.

The results were noticeable. With the fans on the intercooler, IAC readings never exceeded 55*C. And when the temperature did get that warm, the fans would bring it back down pretty quickly. Needless to say, having active cooling on the intercooler is a noticeable benefit.

So I decided to do the intercooler fan mod "for real" this time. I used a 7" oil cooler fan, and built a shroud out of sheet aluminum. This time, I mounted the fan on the backside of the intercooler, which allowed me to re-install the air duct. I also installed a vented fender liner, so the hot air has somewhere to go.

Here are a couple shots of the new fan setup. As you can see, the back of the fan is right up against the fender liner. If the fender liner wasn't vented, it would block airflow from the fan.

Last edited by Blacktree; May 19th, 2017 at 12:20.
Blacktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 08:16   #1549
Votblindub
Veteran Member

Love seeing this kind of thing. More time means better and more reliable info. I definitely want to see how the larger fan works compared the 4 little ones. Please keep us updated.

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M, Frostheater Full details
Full details
FB page for wagon lovers I have VAGCOM/VCDS
Votblindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 04:43   #1550
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

Disabled the "Auto Lock" function, so now I don't have the car locking
at 10mph.

Enabled the "Auto Unlock" function so that all doors unlock on pulling
the key from the ignition.

I'd love it if this would also disable the rear hatch lock as well. Having
to press the fob button or hitting the switch on the driver's door everytime you want to get in the back I find annoying.

Cheers,
R*2
RC Stage 2: 11mm pump & .216 nozzles, 17/22, 3bar MAP: Koni Reds with HD Springs, ~1"lift: XXIO Racing Rims, 215/55ZR16" Gen Max AS03's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: Ventectomy: Atlas skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .658 5th, Peloquin LSD: TT Short Shifter: Bosal Hitch: VW OEM racks: Aspherical Mirrors:
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 09:48   #1551
Votblindub
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrusse11 View Post

to press the fob button or hitting the switch on the driver's door everytime you want to get in the back I find annoying.

I think that's doable. It may be driver side door + hatch or all doors + hatch. I dont recall atm, but i remember somebody telling me to do that when i was considering a wagon.

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M, Frostheater Full details
Full details
Old May 19th, 2017, 09:52   #1552
RexNICO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrusse11 View Post

Cheers,
R*2
I haven't tried any of the solutions in this thread, but the results sound great
RexNICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 14:29   #1553
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

My turbo was forever going into over boost so I pulled the TIP and reached in through the top to reset the actuator start and settings. I did not realize how simple this job could be when done through the top; I had been adjusting the turbo from the bottom with the car up on ramps. The actuator arm was hitting the stop around 14" of vacuum--no wonder it was going into over boost! I did not check the lift setting as I am more concerned when the arm hits the stop. The arm now stops at 19-19.5" of vacuum and hasn't gone into over boost since yesterday before the actuator was reset.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 14:53   #1554
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Passed state inspection. First year that I didn't have to have the car plugged in to show emissions readiness, so I didn't need to swap out the Euro ECU before inspection. Nice.
Old May 19th, 2017, 18:17   #1555
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

Diesel Purge!

Just cause I could.
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 04:21   #1556
Votblindub
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Passed state inspection. First year that I didn't have to have the car plugged in to show emissions readiness, so I didn't need to swap out the Euro ECU before inspection. Nice.
It's the opposite for me. Last inspection I had on my white car, they had to plug it in. Guy came out apologizing because they said its only $10 safety and no emissions. Apparently the regulations changed and they had to plug the car in. The extra $10 a year won't make me go broke, but the principle of the matter makes me furious tbh.

Full details
Old May 23rd, 2017, 05:38   #1557
mrrhtuner
Veteran Member

Didn't do anything yet...but ordered:

-Mahle VNT-15 Turbocharge
-Oil feed/return lines
-Front/Rear shocks & springs
-All new shock bumps/covers/mounts

Can't wait to get the wagon back into good running condition.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 07:13   #1558
romad
Veteran Member

Stocked up on Stanadyne Lubricity Formula for my June trip.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 08:02   #1559
jason_
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Stocked up on Stanadyne Lubricity Formula for my June trip.
Not a fan of simple 2stroke mix?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 08:15   #1560
romad
Veteran Member

I use Propel DieselHPR fuel not DinoDiesel.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote