www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old May 19th, 2017, 10:44   #106
tdi_sport
Veteran Member

Would it be possible to clone the ecu with a tune that can erase the modifications to return to stock or even upgrade performance?

A swap of the ecu for scheduled servicing at the dealership could keep an owner and dealership happy.

The 335d enthusiasts are doing that regularily.
tdi_sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:47   #107
Michael A
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodude View Post
And the 13-14's only have 5 more months for a timely fix. Their date is oct 23rd if I am not mistaken.
I wonder what the odds on buyback of 13-14's ?
Michael A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:50   #108
lvrpl

TDI(s): Passat TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB36 View Post
My understanding is that this is paid immediately when the claim is approved--you get half now, and the other half when the fix is done. If a fix isn't approved, the participation payment is deducted from the buyback or whatever else you get.
I see. But has anyone actually gotten any details about how specifically that Participation Payment for Gen 2 vehicles is paid?

Basically, I'm just trying to make sure that if I buy that 2014 Q7 this weekend that I can't lose out on that half of the restitution due to the Participation Payment (again, I already verified in the portal that there wasn't a previous owner claim made). I would think VW wouldn't give anyone the Participation Payment without them physically bringing the car in to prove they still own it but the court docs seem to say nothing on that matter.

I guess my logic is that, if no one has even had an opportunity to elect for the Performance Payment yet, I'm probably pretty safe if I buy a car this weekend and immediately file a claim.
lvrpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:53   #109
Motodude
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A View Post
I wonder what the odds on buyback of 13-14's ?
I would say those are the best bet, the fix date is 1-2 months earlier then the others. I dont know if they made any changes between those and the cars/or 15/16 q7/5 and touregs that would make them a tougher fix.
Motodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:58   #110
Motodude
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
When I read stuff like this I know we've crossed over into alternate reality. I know I am not the only one who wants the fix to succeed. If you read the transcript from Breyer's court, the FTC representative seems to indicate that the fix will in high likelihood be accepted. Two of the three subclasses have already been submitted by VW to EPA and CARB.

If you bought gen 1's to flip, you are fine. If you bought gen 2's, you took a chance and might come out ok, but don't assume your arbitrager's perspective applies to us all.
Do we know which 2 of the 3 subclasses have been submitted? If the 13-14's havent been yet I would double down that these cars will not get a timely fix.
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:59   #111
Motodude
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourplay View Post
The other plus is that the 13s/14s generally have better returns. I don't own a single 15/16 because they all are priced too high to deliver reasonable returns.
I havent even looked at 15-16's. Only 13-14's.
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:10   #112
Michael A
Veteran Member

I was looking to buy a Porsche Cayenne S so my thought was to just take a small gamble on buying a Cayenne Diesel instead, although I would rather have the V8 at this point.
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:11   #113
TDIforDays
Veteran Member

There are definitely plenty of 13-14 on the market and no one is buying them. i am thinking to get a few as soon as my Gen 1 start going back.
TDIforDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:23   #114
Michael A
Veteran Member

Comparable Cayenne S / Cayenne Diesel there is a good $5k premium for the Diesel at this point, not sure it is worth buying a Diesel at a premium to get potentially $8k-$10k back. Obviously if they cant repair in a timely manner or repair at all and forced to buy back then all bets are off.
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:23   #115
VWMark
Veteran Member

Why does everyone assume the post fix performance is going to be so bad? From what I remember, the gen. 2 3.0 cars weren't over the limits by much. As far as I can tell, the performance of the fixed 2015 2.0 cars hasn't changed much.

Why wouldn't you want a car that performs about the same, is cleaner, and gets an extended warranty?
VWMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:36   #116
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodude View Post
Do we know which 2 of the 3 subclasses have been submitted? If the 13-14's havent been yet I would double down that these cars will not get a timely fix.

The transcript indicates that only the "PC" subgroup has not been already submitted to EPA/CARB. That includes the Q5 and all the Audi A models above the A3.

2011 Touareg TDI 74K Miles (slated for buyback May, 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:36   #117
VWMark
Veteran Member

Quote:
Not necessarily "so bad", just worse than pre-fix.

I don't care if they find a fix (in fact, that would be great for the environment and for folks who want to keep driving these things), but it would be better for everyone involved, except maybe VAG's bank account, if they aren't able to find a fix within the next 6 months.
How much worse? 1%? .5%? 10%? At this point, nobody knows(well, some people probably know, considering a fix has been submitted for 2/3 of the Gen. 2 cars), but the documents stipulate how much the fuel economy etc. can be affected. Even with a slight performance hit, there's not many cars out there that compare with these 3.0 TDIs.

And yes, the best thing for almost everyone involved would be a timely fix and keeping these cars on the road and out of the crusher. Oh, except for the handful of people buying up cars for profit.
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:46   #118
VWMark
Veteran Member

Quote:
Since any fix keeps the cars out of the crusher, the best thing would be an un-timely fix, because of the restitution implications for everyone involved (arbitragers and owners who intend to keep the cars).
The cars would keep their current performance for a longer period of time, AND everyone would get more money. Win/win.
That is true, except if the fix is not approved on time, I believe you will have the buyback option, which I'm sure LOTS of people would take them up on. Not that I would object to more money...
Old May 19th, 2017, 13:54   #119
Michael A
Veteran Member

Does anyone know if the dollars amounts on the portal include tax?
Tax was supposed to be added to payout totals.
Old May 19th, 2017, 14:04   #120
az7000'
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi_sport View Post
Would it be possible to clone the ecu with a tune that can erase the modifications to return to stock or even upgrade performance?

A swap of the ecu for scheduled servicing at the dealership could keep an owner and dealership happy.

The 335d enthusiasts are doing that regularily.
There are tuners out there that for roughly $600 they can clone the new tune so you could take it into the dealer for service and give you a new and better then stock tune. You get the tool to switch between the two. Malone is one of the tuners that come up....
az7000' is offline   Reply With Quote