www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 18th, 2017, 07:02   #1
kevrobster

Default Diagnosing Oil in Intercooler

Hey guys, I've got a BHW Passat blowing white smoke and has oil in the intercooler (not sure how much, yet, until I get home and can drain it), as well as low oil level in the engine. Seems like the seal has gone out of the turbo, but what would be the best way to confirm this? There doesn't seem to be any significant loss of power as I would have thought, but is it possible for the seal to fail only partially, holding some of the oil but not all?

To my knowledge this is still the original turbo at 270k miles.

If indeed the turbo has failed, what is the best route for repair? I am planning to sell this car shortly, so I'm not concerned with extreme longevity, or performance upgrades or anything, but I do want to fix it properly. I've seen posts advising against rebuilding the turbo--is "rebuilding" equivalent to purchasing one of the "cartridges" I've seen available and installing it in the existing body? Or would that be a suitable way to fix this and get it going? Trying to save as much money as I can, but I don't want to cause any major problems for the future owner either.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
kevrobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 10:04   #2
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

The best way to diagnose would be checking how much oil is in the intercooler

Also, remove the inlet pipe from the air cleaner to the turbo and check the impeller for play. if you can grasp the impeller with two fingers, there should be no in-and-out (axial) play on the shaft, and a very small amount of side to side (radial) play.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:09   #3
kevrobster

Thanks. If there is axial play, I assume that indicates a bearing is gone? In that event do I need a whole new turbo? Can I purchase a cartridge such as this one:
https://www.wolfsburgtuning.com/tdi-...ridge-bhw.html

and install it in the existing body?

Anyone ever went with a rebuilt turbo from these guys? http://www.hansautoparts.com/Rebuilt...bocharger.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrobster View Post
Hey guys, I've got a BHW Passat blowing white smoke and has oil in the intercooler (not sure how much, yet, until I get home and can drain it), as well as low oil level in the engine. Seems like the seal has gone out of the turbo, but what would be the best way to confirm this? There doesn't seem to be any significant loss of power as I would have thought, but is it possible for the seal to fail only partially, holding some of the oil but not all?

To my knowledge this is still the original turbo at 270k miles.

If indeed the turbo has failed, what is the best route for repair? I am planning to sell this car shortly, so I'm not concerned with extreme longevity, or performance upgrades or anything, but I do want to fix it properly. I've seen posts advising against rebuilding the turbo--is "rebuilding" equivalent to purchasing one of the "cartridges" I've seen available and installing it in the existing body? Or would that be a suitable way to fix this and get it going? Trying to save as much money as I can, but I don't want to cause any major problems for the future owner either.

kevrobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:56   #4
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Yes, if there is axial play, the turbo is done - it means that the thrust surfaces int eh cartridge are gone.

Never buy anything from hans/prothe. He peddles crap and has destroyed countless engines with bad timing belts and shoddy rebuilt parts.

If my turbo was on the way out on my passat, I would bite the bullet and get OEM from one of the this sites reputable suppliers, or try to find a used one from a TDIclub member or salvage yard.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 09:10   #5
vwztips
Veteran Member

For oil blow by you can also pull the O2 sensor to see if it is wet.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote