www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old May 15th, 2017, 10:00   #166
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
Changing the fluid in a manual transmission or automatic transmission is good for long term reliability.

Subaru CVT's, however, are fully sealed. When the fluid goes, it takes out the rest of the transmission and you need a new transmission replacement, which is not cheap.

Boy that is another one of those myths that just refuse to die. Subie's "Lineartronic" CVT has a check, drain, and fill procedure just like anything else. Nothing special or mystical about it. I've serviced a few of them already.
Old May 15th, 2017, 12:39   #167
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, Citroen 55- 63

^ yup. They were "sealed" as a warranty policy for the first year or two of production, failures were shipped back to the mothership for analysis.
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 12:50   #168
oilhammer

I think there has been this trend to call any transmission that has no dipstick "sealed", and I for one have no idea why. They are all "sealed", otherwise fluid would be leaking out everywhere. Even the ones without dipsticks (and there are many of these) have a vent on them same as always.

The only think is, if there is no dipstick, there is simply a different method used to check their level. And to be honest, it is usually EASIER to check that way, because the dipsticks are often difficult to read. No guesswork with a check plug underneath: if fluid comes out, it's full. If it doesn't, it's low.
Old May 15th, 2017, 13:27   #169
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

For most of us, the main problem is getting to that check plug.
Old May 15th, 2017, 13:35   #170
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
For most of us, the main problem is getting to that check plug.

Yep, getting to it while keeping the car level. I get that. The plug itself is generally very easy, no more difficult than the engine drain plug really on most cars and trucks.

But the good news is, the age of chronic seeping slushboxes that NEEDED frequent fluid top ups is long gone. Most modern autoboxes do very well at keeping their fluid inside, so generally all that is really needed is a quick visual inspection. Nothing leaking, then no need to worry about the level. Unless of course it was improperly serviced in the past. And of course, a very minor seepage over a long period of time can necessitate a check.

Thankfully, none of the various automatics that VAG employs (and there are quite a few of them) have not had much of any issues with seepage to the point that I'd be too worried.

And FWIW, manuals do not have dipsticks either. And unlike automatics, that will slip or flare or misbehave in some fashion when they are low, a manual will continue to work just fine until it breaks completely if it gets run low.
Old May 16th, 2017, 00:47   #171
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, Citroen 55- 63

Subaru manuals have a dipstick...
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 05:14   #172
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPM View Post
Subaru manuals have a dipstick...
Hah, I figured nobody would know that. They are so rare here. My '80 had a dipstick. On a quiet night, you could hear that thing rust.
Old May 16th, 2017, 18:27   #173
EddyKilowatt
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Other than maybe having a little less tolerance to neglect, the smaller displacement turbocharged engines so far have been holding up fine. I've not seen widespread problems with any of them from any manufacturers.
I think the powertrains (from the piston crown onward) have been pretty well debugged, and the turbo hardware too. I have the impression we're seeing first-generation issues with gasoline direct injection though, like intake valves crudding up like it was 1980 all over again... with oil rather than gas deposits this time around.
Old May 16th, 2017, 21:26   #174
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyKilowatt View Post
I think the powertrains (from the piston crown onward) have been pretty well debugged, and the turbo hardware too. I have the impression we're seeing first-generation issues with gasoline direct injection though, like intake valves crudding up like it was 1980 all over again... with oil rather than gas deposits this time around.
Toyota is ahead of the curve, with their D4-S system when VW was introducing their FSI-turbo's to the US. Toyota's D4-S has the port-injection along with direct, and this was in 2006.

Their first generation was in the 90's, where they were retrofitting existing engines with it. Though Mitsubishi mainstreamed it earlier than Toyota in Japan.

A few years ago, with the 3rd gen ea888, Audi offered twin injection, but not in VW's US lineup of 3rd gen ea888 engines.
Old May 17th, 2017, 04:35   #175
oilhammer

Volkswagen had DI gassers in Europe for almost a decade before we saw any here, just like Japanese manufacturers had in Japan. There was a 1.6L 16 valve 4 cyl FSI Golf. But it sold poorly because what call was there for a fuel efficient gasoline engine in Europe that costs more when the base gas Golf (something we also never got) was so much less AND they had FAR more frugal diesel options?

Toyota's twin injection engines were originally more for power enhancement than anything else. That's how they were able to squeeze over 300hp from a non-turbo 3.5L V6. I PDI'd some of those cars when I worked at Lexus, the IS350. It was a pretty good running car, but the GR series of engines turned out to have a lot of major problems, especially early on.

VAG's current DI gas turbo engines in the 1.8L and 2.0L form we get here are designed with twin injection in mind, they just did not install it (at least not on our versions). The intake mold has the injector hole bungs and secondary fuel rail hold downs already molded in, along with the spot to hold the wire harness to the injectors.

The intake valve gunking is sort of all over the place. Some engines are worse than others, and some drivers seem to have habits or drive cycles that promote the problem more than others. I personally think a preventative approach of regular use of some sort of upper intake cleaning system (we use BG here, but there are other brands that work too) is a good idea. Because once it gets beyond a certain point, there seems to be no good way to get them clean again without removal of the intake manifold and physically cleaning the intake ports out. By hand. One at a time. VERY time consuming. Very messy. And a real pain in the butt.

We've also had some that broke a substantial chunk of carbon off all at once, went into the intake valve port, and held the valve open, causing piston contact. Since most (but not all) of these engines are multivalve units, their intake valves are very tiny, and set at an angle, which means they easily bend.
Old May 17th, 2017, 08:33   #176
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

the 3rd gen ea888's twin injection was designed to meet the ever increasingly strict Euro emission, iirc Euro 6, so it goes into direct injection sooner than Toyota's D4-S system. Audi twin injection used port for low loads only, and after that direct. D4-S used port for low & medium load, and direct only on high loads. Direct only on the 2.5L 4GR-FSE motor didn't make too much power for its size, just over 200. The 2GR does make just over 300 hp, but that's at full load, when it is on the direct only mode of the injection system.

VAG FSI was introduced in Europe in 2000, on a 1.4L engine.

VW in its patent application lists the method for reducing intake valve clogging, which includes a modified Italian tune-up and use of esters in the oil. Lower SAPS oil does slow down the formation of the deposits. Using heavy duty diesel oil, like Shell RT6 or CHevron Delo 400 LE (which the SAPS level was 1.0 ppm) did help my old Passat 2.0T (BPY) get to 100,000 miles in between cleanings.
Old May 17th, 2017, 08:46   #177
oilhammer

The BPY for whatever reason was never as bad about gunking as the CCTA. etc. engines. Other than some pretty abysmal oil consumption, and some HPFP cam follower failures, the BPY was (is) a pretty good engine.

There may be a link between the cam/follower failure and constantly running low on a oil, too. Not to mention so many people using the wrong oil.

One of my customers has a 2007 GTI, and he bought it new, which was early on but already we knew about the BPY's appetite for oil. I gave him strict warnings about this, armed him with an extra 5L jug of oil after each service to take with him. And 200k+ miles later, it still runs like a top, and it still uses every bit of that extra 5L of 502.00 spec 5w40 between its 10k mile oil changes... same as it did when new. And I have never done a single thing to that engine besides spark plugs, coils (of course ) and scheduled timing belts. That's it. Cam, follower, HPFP, etc. all original. It is starting to get some seepage at the rear chain cover, which is not a big deal to fix on the transverse applications... the longitudinal ones are a bit trickier.
Old May 17th, 2017, 11:23   #178
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

The valve cover failing on the BPY's is a major influence on oil consumption. THe valve cover has PCV passages.

I call BS on the cam follower still original on the 07 GTI. If you replaced the follower regularly (around the time when the DLC part wears out), you'll never have HPFP or camshaft issues, except when the "Thrust sensor" failed, which later became a TSB.

I had a thrust sensor failed on me, and the local dealership wanted to replace the entire camshaft and HPFP until I called BS on the technician. I asked the technician if he inspected the follower and camshaft, he said no, then 1/2 later hour came back and changed his tune to the sensor only.
Old May 17th, 2017, 11:26   #179
oilhammer

Now I'm a liar?

I am 100% certain it is all original. I am the only human that has ever touched anything under the hood of that car after it left the dealership, save for the owner's religious topping up of oil. I have LOTS of customers' cars I can say that about.

Many of the other BPYs that have come through here over the years blew up from running out of oil. I can't follow them all around.

This GTI does have an easy life though. It covers long highway distances mostly, rarely ever driven in any traffic, and certainly never abused. Only reason he even bought it over a TDI was that there were no new TDIs sold here that year, and his 1/4 million mile ALH (which was still running strong) was rear ended by a drunk and was not repairable. Not even close.

Last edited by oilhammer; May 17th, 2017 at 11:29.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 19:15   #180
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
The BPY for whatever reason was never as bad about gunking as the CCTA. etc. engines. Other than some pretty abysmal oil consumption, and some HPFP cam follower failures, the BPY was (is) a pretty good engine.

There may be a link between the cam/follower failure and constantly running low on a oil, too. Not to mention so many people using the wrong oil.

One of my customers has a 2007 GTI, and he bought it new, which was early on but already we knew about the BPY's appetite for oil. I gave him strict warnings about this, armed him with an extra 5L jug of oil after each service to take with him. And 200k+ miles later, it still runs like a top, and it still uses every bit of that extra 5L of 502.00 spec 5w40 between its 10k mile oil changes... same as it did when new. And I have never done a single thing to that engine besides spark plugs, coils (of course ) and scheduled timing belts. That's it. Cam, follower, HPFP, etc. all original. It is starting to get some seepage at the rear chain cover, which is not a big deal to fix on the transverse applications... the longitudinal ones are a bit trickier.
I put 100k miles (160k km) on my 2007 Passat 2.0T wagon (6-mt). Never had issues with the cam follower, even after the extended warranty came out. I was religious though, about checking oil, and had a good supply of 502.00 in my garage. Almost reminds me of old radial piston aircraft engines; aircraft range was nearly as much limited by oil capacity as by fuel capacity.

I never cleaned the valve but I will say this, when I really put my foot into it like a tight merge onto a freeway or overtaking, it would lay a smokescreen that would make my B5.5 TDI blush. I was driving quite a bit in those days, mostly highway, mostly cruise control at 100 km/h (the speed limit). Never had issues so perhaps the occasional Italian tuneup helped.

The car was super efficient on the highway for its size; 6.4 L/100 km (albeit on super), which is 37 mpg. With the big 70L tank I've seen 1000 km on a tank on a road trip. It was probably one of my better cars over the years, and had plenty of get-up-and-go as well.
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote