2006 Brm Engine Light on

donutman

TDI
2006 Jetta 5 spd.
Does a parts store scanner work on vw. The engine light is on and the owners manual says this is a exhaust malfunction. Never heard of this one. Does it have an o 2 sensor like a gas engine. I tried reseting the computer by disconnecting the battery for an hour and restarting but no luck, light still on.

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
Yes a parts store scanner is a good place to start. It'll at least give you a code to plug into the search box and start gathering info

MkVer

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta BRM
The exhaust malfunction light is pretty general. It actually covers parts in the intake as well. I wouldn't get to frightened by it.

Also, the only way to clear a code is with a scanner. Some codes actually need a VCDS scanner though. I pulled a fuse for an airbag by mistake, which tripped a CEL and only VAG could clear the code.

donutman

TDI
2006 Jetta 5 spd.
I had a friend of mine with a scanner pull a code PO672 on my car which read on his scanner Glo Plug Circuit. He did erase the light and it has been off all day driving around town. It said on Cylinder #2. But the car runs fine. Should I be concerned now or at a later date if it comes back on. It was the check engine light not the glow plug symbol on the dash.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
If it was truly just a single glow plug code and it stays off I wouldn't worry about it. I keep a couple GPs in the garage because they do fail from time to time. It is easy to verify a failure by measuring resistance to ground with them unplugged. My dead ones went open circuit. I did eventually have to replace the connector harness as the contact eventually wear out, especially if you work on it much. I think the harness can only be plugged off and on so many times.

Be aware that generic scanners cover only the OBDII codes. There is so much more going on with our TDIs. With the availability and comparatively low cost for Ross Tech's VCDS, I could not imagine owning one of these cars without one.

Just sayin' because you may pull a code with OBDII scanner but there might be 3 or 4 more codes that VCDS can access. It really is worth the hype.

donutman

TDI
2006 Jetta 5 spd.
Thanks, will check into a Ross vag com. scanner. The light is still off. Will think about a couple spares.