Massive oil leak on Jetta TDI

gerpeters

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI and 2003 Jetta TDI
I drove my Jetta TDI today and soddenly the oil waring light came on and also heard a beep warning.

I turned off the ignition right away. Upon looking underneath the car I saw lots of oil coming out all around the engine cover.

I'm wondering if it could be that the turbo gave way or is there another source were all the engine oil could drain out?

Any ideas?

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Pull the lower engine cover and check your sump (oil pan) for cracks.
Another likely source is a broken turbo oil supply line.
These lines fail right at the 90* bend connection to the turbo.
This failure is caused by a broken retaining bracket to the exhaust manifold. Once this bracket fails it allows the oil line to vibrate and leak oil.

The other place to check for oil leaks is the front main oil seal.

John96895

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
Ahhhh, thanks Herm. I was going to ask why I needed to replace the oil line, when it came off as easy as changing a brake caliper. (I got tired of limp mode and am in the process of decarbonizing everything.)

gerpeters

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI and 2003 Jetta TDI
It was a broken turbo oil supply line....all fixed now and happily driving again.
Long life to my TDI Jetta....292,350KM and still going strong

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
gerpeters said:
It was a broken turbo oil supply line....all fixed now and happily driving again.
Long life to my TDI Jetta....292,350KM and still going strong
Just make sure the two supports are on the oil line, or you'll be replacing it again.....;)