Kansas TDIers

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
I'm going to be moving to north central Kansas in the near future and am wondering if there is some reliable tdi shops anywhere in the area. I know there used to be a vw dealership years ago in Salina- but that's still 50 miles away.
I currently live in Fla. and I appear to be one of the lucky ones that has a reputable vw service dept. I don't know if I'll be so lucky in Ks. I'm sure you guys have some different issues to deal with considering the cold weather that you have.

nutdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 (Previously NB 2000)
Can you be any more specific as to where you are moving? I just looked at the VW website and it appears that the dealer that was in Salina has now closed.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Kansas tdi

Hey Nutdriver! Concordia is where I'll be heading. Salina would have been bad enough[50 miles]. As I remember-Wichita is 140. It sure would be nice to find something a bit closer. I assume you have one in Wichita?
What affect does winter have on your tdi's. We're used to warm weather all year long.It takes alot to crank a diesel over in the cold so I know warm parking or an engine heater would be good. What do you do other than that?
We've been pretty lucky down here-we have a real good vw service dept. I have a 98 NB and the wife has a 05 Passat wagon[both tdi's]. In fact last weekend I had the 05 Rocketchipped at a gtg in Jacksonville. Boy,what a difference that made. I thought it ran well stock but it really pulls hard now.

I've put down a deposit on a 09 tdi sportwagen for my daughter, so you can see I'm high on vw tdi's. Unfortunately, I don't think I can talk her into coming to Kansas-she attends University of Central Florida and really likes Orlando.
Thanks for your help-chuck

nutdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 (Previously NB 2000)
I have never really had any problems with the cold in Kansas as far as the car operation goes. I try to warm it fairly slowly until the oil has a chance to get fairly hot. Last I knew there was a VW dealer in Topeka but the vw website seems to not show all the possible dealers. Good luck with the move.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
upsbroke said:
Hey Nutdriver! Concordia is where I'll be heading. Salina would have been bad enough[50 miles]. As I remember-Wichita is 140. It sure would be nice to find something a bit closer. I assume you have one in Wichita?
What affect does winter have on your tdi's. We're used to warm weather all year long.It takes alot to crank a diesel over in the cold so I know warm parking or an engine heater would be good. What do you do other than that?
We've been pretty lucky down here-we have a real good vw service dept. I have a 98 NB and the wife has a 05 Passat wagon[both tdi's]. In fact last weekend I had the 05 Rocketchipped at a gtg in Jacksonville. Boy,what a difference that made. I thought it ran well stock but it really pulls hard now.

I've put down a deposit on a 09 tdi sportwagen for my daughter, so you can see I'm high on vw tdi's. Unfortunately, I don't think I can talk her into coming to Kansas-she attends University of Central Florida and really likes Orlando.
Thanks for your help-chuck

Hey Chuck, you must be kidding! Were you bad, got sent to Concordia? :))

I basically grew up there off and on, still have many relatives there, go up there from time to time. I will inquire of my cousins if there are any local TDI tuners around, I suspect you may need to shop Wichita or KC...worst case come down toward Tulsa where RayG can get hold of it...and if you fancy pheasant hunting I can fix you up :). Stay in touch.

Many years ago we had an 85 Jetta diesel, and oh my goodness once in a while it will get REALLY cold in north central KS...I recalll a -25 one Christmas that made a tire pull away from the rim on the poor thing...and I had a heat lamp on the oil pan the whole time I was there, as well as about four cans of diesel conditioner in the tank...but that was then...you'll have no worries now if you have a garage. Let me know where you plan to live...I have many stories about Concordia...crazy nuns, you name it :). Welcome to this part of the country.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Kansas tdi

Nutdriver and Rickstah-wow nothing I would enjoy more than having to drive to Topeka, K.C. or even Oklahoma to get tdi work done.:).
You would hope that with fuel prices the way they are would help VW's image around there. It's been 30 years since I lived in Con. so I don't know if there is a demand for high mileage cars. I know there is some people that work in Salina-but when I lived there Concordia was pretty much self-sustained.
I might be up that way to visit sooner than I expected. I talked my son into coming up to CCCC and visiting the baseball coach with prospect of playing for the TBirds. Boy-you talk about hard-sell. The last time he was up there-movie theater had just been closed and bowling alley was open 2 nites a week.
At this point I'm not sure whether we'll fly up or drive. Flights are very expensive these days and I'll still have to rent a car in Wichita. But if we drive it'll take 2-12 hour days to get there. :D
Chuck

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Kansas tdi

Nutdriver and Rickstah-wow nothing I would enjoy more than having to drive to Topeka, K.C. or even Oklahoma to get tdi work done.:).
You would hope that with fuel prices the way they are would help VW's image around there. It's been 30 years since I lived in Con. so I don't know if there is a demand for high mileage cars. I know there is some people that work in Salina-but when I lived there Concordia was pretty much self-sustained.
I might be up that way to visit sooner than I expected. I talked my son into coming up to CCCC and visiting the baseball coach with prospect of playing for the TBirds. Boy-you talk about hard-sell. The last time he was up there-movie theater had just been closed and bowling alley was open 2 nites a week.
At this point I'm not sure whether we'll fly up or drive. Flights are very expensive these days and I'll still have to rent a car in Wichita. But if we drive it'll take 2-12 hour days to get there. :D
Chuck

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Chuck, IM me your last name, maybe we played little league together or you may know some of my no-account kinfolk :). Funny you mentioning CCCC and such...brings back a lot of memories.

TDI
06 jetta 5sp
Welcome to the Kansas. I moved here from Florida 15 years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did. Still like to go back there and visit lots of relatives and all. Concordia is a nice small town if you are looking for that you will be happpy. If you like hunting and the outdoors there is lots of that in Kansas. In fact we have LOTS OF OUTDOORS. Just drive across I70 from KC to Denver sometime. If you get to Wichita look me up. The dealer in Wichita is OK nothing special.
John

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Kansas jettatdi

Hi John-
Thanks for the reply. There for awhile I thought I was going to be the only tdi in KS.:D. If you're familar with Con-there is a closed Conoco gas station at &th and Lincoln[hwy 81] that has been in my family since the 1930's. I had actually thought about specializing in tdi's when it gets reopened. I think that's being a bunch optimistic about the tdi business . Can't say i wouldn't have my own market niche though. Another challenge would be finding a competant tdi mechanic and enough work to keep him busy in a small town.
I think you got out of Fla. at the right time. It's getting so congested and expensive to live here. I think I'll miss the easy drives to Home Depot and Costco the most[beside the warm weather ]. I do like the outdoors-I have 4 motorcycles-of which I took 3 back to Kansas on my last trip.They're nothing special-mid 1970' cycles. I'm looking forward to riding them where it's relatively safe. Unfortunately-my riding season will be shortened:D.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
not too bad a drive down to Salina :)...Walmart there isn't too big but you can still get over night stuff in :))

weirdajs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle TDI
Last edited:

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Ed Jones Automotive

Thanks Weirdajs- Wichita is not a bad alternative-closer than K.C. I had never been there much when I did live in Kansas 30 years ago. Sounds like I have alot of re-learning to do when I come back.

Do you guys have gtg's? I attended my first gtg a few weeks ago in Jacksonville. It was a four hour drive but I met some real nice people and learned some new stuff. Jeff RC2'd my wife's 05 Passat wagon and I got my DRL disabled. I was kind of handicapped in a foot boot- I had surgery 10 days earlier-so I spent alot of my time sitting with my foot up. There was a great turnout-15-20 cars and they finished up after midnight.

I'm looking forward to your Kansas weather[until it turns cold].:D

weirdajs said:
Try Wichita KS.This was posted here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044
Ed Jones Automotive
1241 S Broadway
Wichita, KS 67211
(316) 267-6266
http://www.wichitavwspecialties.com
MAP
I brought my 04 NB TDI from Steven VW in Wichita.I found it though VW website local dealers.No we do not have flat roads here:D Weather changes every 15minutes got to love Kansas weather.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey I've been to Junction City many times as a youngster...my uncle was a pastor at a local church there...I can believe that weather. Once when I was about ten I remember a summer so hot and dry the grasshoppers covered the place and they were burning the wheat stubble in the fields to try and kill them...:eek:

It also snowed so much one Christmas when we were on the way to Concordia we got stuck at the junction south of town and spend 12 hours at one of the stations there cause we couldn't get on into town on 81...which was an evil road back then during GOOD weather!

"I'm looking forward to your Kansas weather[until it turns cold].:D"

Oh, Chuck, you have been gone awhile :))

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Well my parents lived so far out in the country I had to walk TOWARD town to go hunting :)) Aurora wasn't what you called a large community. :p

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
metropolitan Aurora

Boy-do I remember buying beer in Aurora many a friday nite. I guess the legal age for buying beer is a bit less there!:D