White and Black smoke, still power 2006 Jetta BRM

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
So I basically bought this car with 182k on it, seems like I've rebuilt the whole car (rear brakes, f&r wheel bearings, dsg flywheel, radiator, ds door harness). New Cam, timing belt at 185k. Compression 450 psi with 420 on the other 3 cylinders. Glow plugs replaced, all filters done in last 8000 miles, also did the DIY Purge injection cleaning, replaced turbo inlet seal, running Pentosin 5w40. currently almost to 192k. I get mainly white smoke when starting up and a rare black puff but the white smoke will come in large clouds when accelerating from stop lights intermittently and then sometimes not at all then the next day it will do it once or twice then goes away. My next steps from what I've gathered are going to be these posted below. I heard that one puff of white smoke on start up is somewhat normal on a brm. I really would like to sort this problem out and move on because the car still needs headlights, door latches and a entire front end suspension rebuild. Appreciate all advice/comments :)

Also the mileage seems to be dropping, when I first got the car I was doing 500-600 per tank now 425-475, although I have been driving it a little harder on occassion in town to see if it will smoke.

Injector Deviation Test

Reconfirm Torsion Value

Leak down test (hopefully not required given compression is good)

Turbo?

Injector leak or bad injectors (Deviation test should confirm?)

Hole in Intercooler

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check your intercooler piping for oil.

Pull the pipe from the turbo and check the play on the compressor wheel with your finger. In and out play and side to side.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Check your intercooler piping for oil.

Pull the pipe from the turbo and check the play on the compressor wheel with your finger. In and out play and side to side.

The upper turbo inlet pipe that runs off the airbox I'm assuming.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The upper turbo inlet pipe that runs off the airbox I'm assuming.
The lower pipe behind the passanger side front wheel, which connects the intercooler to the turbo. The intercooler end of the pipe is the lowest point in the system, that would be where you check for oil accumulation, it shouldn’t be much more than a half cup. The other end of that hose where it connects to the turbo is where you check for compressor wheel play.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Normal healthy compression is closer to 500PSI.

Do you have VCDS?
It would not hurt to check the turbo for operation in the Group 11 "basic setting" test and whether or not the actuator has a vacuum leak.

If you still have the original turbo this may be an up and coming problem if it is not already.
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/turbo-stop-screw-adjustment-tdi-engine-zip-tie-engine-hesitation/

Intermittent white smoke could be that the EGR is not fully closing when it should, but is usually paired up with a power loss.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Normal healthy compression is closer to 500PSI.

Do you have VCDS?
It would not hurt to check the turbo for operation in the Group 11 "basic setting" test and whether or not the actuator has a vacuum leak.

If you still have the original turbo this may be an up and coming problem if it is not already.
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/turbo-stop-screw-adjustment-tdi-engine-zip-tie-engine-hesitation/

Intermittent white smoke could be that the EGR is not fully closing when it should, but is usually paired up with a power loss.

I hope it is the EGR:D, would be great news as far as I've been with this car. I don't have VCDS but I do have a laptop. Would be a good test to run when checking the injector deviation.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I would not be able to own a 2006 VW TDI Jetta without a VCDS, as that is the primary way the car will reveal to you what problems it is having. Your return on the investment could be enormous.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Lots of TDIs have a start up puff, somewhat normal. Some are worse than others. You may want to confirm temp sensor values are what they should be at cold start.

The black smoke is probably a sticking EGR valve or the turbo vanes worn out.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Mostly getting white smoke these days when revving hard (still intermittently) and also a quick power surge loss of power for a second then kicks back in once or twice per day, possibly egr? I recently drove the jetta on a 1200 mile trip getting 550 miles per tank with ac on at 85 mph. Can I rule out a bad or leaky injector given the good fuel economy?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Try unplugging the EGR valve and run it. You just have to make sure that it is completely closed beforehand. It will give you a CEL and register a code in the memory.

Last edited:

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Update on the problem, I'm getting a miss, where the power cuts out for a second then returns to normal, mainly when accelerating and also when traveling with more passengers in the car. Still no code and occasionally getting the white smoke but haven't noticed it much lately. Leaning towards replacing the egr soon because its the cheapest thing to do first. Anything else I should replace at the same time while doing the egr? Will change oil soon when I reach 195k.

Spiked1Z

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm having similar issues at 242k, smoke on moderate accel, and lower fuel economy. Also in Texas with the AC blasting and going 80+ often. a lot of stop and go, and have been averaging less than 37 MPG.

My plan is to check torsion value with my XTool vag reader (not as versatile as VCDS) to see if its changed since my TB replacement 40K ago. Also due for another DSG oil/filter change.