No Start After Camshaft Replacement

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hi can't get my 2006 Jetta started after a camshaft replacement. Well it did run briefly on the first turnover then died. I cranked it over a couple more times nothing then a oil pressure warning light came on so I stopped. I followed the procedure carefully.

Only thing I can think of is I used Joe Gibbs BR40 which is a 10W-40 a little to viscous possibly tripping to the oil warning preventing starting?

I used the correct timing tools turned it over by hand twice no problem. I removed the tandem pump but left the fuel lines attached. VCDS shows nothing. I did have to tap in 3 of the oil galley plugs (one was missing) on the rocker arms they were working themselves out. I made a new plugfor the missing one closest to the tandem pump.

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Nothing to do with the oil choice. The oil alarm will trigger if the car does not reach a minimum pressure in a prescribed time.
If you removed the tandem pump in the process it requires a lot of cranking to bleed the air out of the rail/injectors.

What really helps is to remove the glow plugs and charge up the battery before cranking. That allows the engine to crank much faster and will let you know when the fuel is making it into the cylinders. Crank it until you see four even plumes of misted fuel come out of the glow plug holes. Put the glow plugs back in and, if everything else is in time as it should be, will start in a flash.
If you see the fuel and it does not start then the timing is off and needs to be rechecked. If it ran at first and died then you ran the injectors out of fuel due to an air gap in the rail.

Last edited:

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Definitely air in the system didn't occur to me that the diesel ran out of the fuel rails when I pulled the tandem pump off but that's what happened. Might try your method. I have already primed the fuel pump with the VCDS 10 times still nothing.

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Finally got it running once all the air was purged from the fuel system, who would have thought diesels don’t like air lol. I bought one of those vacuum hand pump and hooked to the fuel return line. That in combination with running the in tank lift pump with the Vcds got all the air out of the rails and lines.

There was a lot of air probably cycled a liter of diesel.
Thanks for the tip JETahh pulling the glow plugs purged the rest of the air from the injectors. Started instantly broke the cam in for 25 mins all is good, torsion value is +0.5

All in all not to difficult of a job. High potential to strip a bolt though especially those cam bearing caps and rocker arm bolts which would be a nightmare. I recommend a quality torque wrench. Can’t believe the dealership wanted $4000 for parts and labor

Last edited: