High Beams not working

beanboy33

TDI
03 jetta wagon
i have an 03 Jetta wagon. My high beams stopped working. The driving lights and low beams are fine. When i turn on the high beams by pushing the lever away from me, all the headlights are off. When i pull the lever towards me, the low beams stay on and no change is noticed. The high beam indicator is working. I have no problem with the cruse control or the turn signals. I removed the steering wheel to and bottom covers so i could spaying contact cleaner in there. No help. I checked the fuses, they are OK. still haven't checked the bulbs. It would be kinda strange that they both were to blow at the same time. is there a relay or something i should check? or if the bulbs are good just buy a replacement switch assembly?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I believe there is a relay that could cause that problem. I would also guess the multi function switch could also cause it. Of course you could have a couple of burned out lamps.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
It would be kinda strange that they both were to blow at the same time.
Common misconception.

When one bulb gives out, the other is probably not far behind. The subtle change in power going to just one bulb tends to help it along just that much faster.

I always replace bulbs in pairs and save the good used one as a spare.

I'm actually quite pleased at the life of the bulbs. 90k and the second set is still burning bright and I still have my DRL's as they belong... working. So much for that arguement... I go thru headlights faster on my non DRL jeep which hardly ever sees the dark...