Need a new head unit (CarPlay)

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
So the head unit in my 2010 Sportwagen just moved from this life to the next and I need a replacement stat. I absolutely want something that is CarPlay-capable.

If you have such a unit in your car, please share what you have and whether or not you would recommend it. Thanks!

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I have the AVH-4000 nex
It is OK, But it is unreliable, lots of re-starts and super picky about lightening cables.
Mine may be flaky, I've only had one unit.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
I have the AVH-4000 nex
It is OK, But it is unreliable, lots of re-starts and super picky about lightening cables.
Mine may be flaky, I've only had one unit.
Have two units in the household, no issues with either one. The 4000NEX is a very good unit. Also, it has been superseded by the 4100NEX (which shouldn't have any of the flaky issues you've found).

The 8100NEX is where it's at for a nice capacitive screen and navi, though with CarPlay you don't need an internal navigation if you connect your phone all the time.

Any way you go about it, use Enfig parts for the adapters, and the MaestroRR for the car integration.

-----------------------

Edit: After seeing your other thread, it seems you could use a bit more help... Here would be my suggestions:

Antenna Adapter: HERE
GPS Adapter: HERE
Dash Kit / Adapter: HERE
Microphone Replacement: HERE

Enfig's Install Videos: HERE

iDatalink Maestro RR: HERE
iDatalink VW Harness for RR: HERE

Pioneer 4100NEX: HERE
or
Pioneer 8100NEX: HERE

-----------------------

If you don't think you're up for the challenge of the install yet, watch some videos on installing and see if you can't get a bit more comfortable. If you need specific help, post back or PM me.

Last edited:

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
So, Your 4000NEX is rock solid?
I may try warranty mine, it isn't terrible, just frustrating.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Never had a single restart on either unit, and I just used a standard lightning cable in my girlfriend's car plugged straight into the unit, haven't had a single problem with it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
5000NEX in our Golf; 8000NEX in our Jetta wagon (both MkIV).
We use Apple's OEM lightning cables, and they work exactly as advertised - no problems at all. Every now and then, there might be an issue (usually it's when I'm just trying to play music through bluetooth) - but that's just life with Bluetooth LE.

Really happy with the 8000NEX after living with the 5000NEX for a little over year.

phspman

TDI
Jetta 2014
Just got the 4100 NEX installed on my 2014 Jetta that has the Fender sound system by Car Toys. Works great and has CarPlay. Be sure to enable "Hey Siri" if they don't install a Siri steering wheel control button. The backup cam was an issue because they could only get black and white, I was going to go with this but took them too long to install everything because of a hiccup with the datalink software and they had to go to another store to get the updated one. I said I'll just do it myself and too $80 off install, so I have a Chinese back up cam ordered that's modeled after the Jetta cam only it has the normal yellow video component instead of VW's proprietary RCA component. I also bought a cheap wireless video transmitter and receiver so I don't have to wire all the way through the car. I hope this works, gonna install it this weekend. Wish me luck!