'97 B4 Passat for Sale

hjsigmon

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 1997 Passat Wagon
Ready to part with my Passat. Free vehicle charging at work plus rebates and tax credits have led to me going electric for my commuter car. Don't worry - there are still two other diesels in the family (can't road trip in a Leaf!) I would like to focus on my other project which is a '82 Rabbit pickup.

So, down to business...

The good:

- only 217k miles!
- towing springs and Bilstein HD suspension front and rear installed ~4 years ago
- trailer hitch
- rebuilt injection pump ~1.5 years ago along with timing belt and water pump
- new stainless 2.5" exhaust with 2.5" catalytic converter, run straight back.
- 15" Koenig rims with 195/60R15 Michelin Defenders ~1 year old (will get rotated and balanced before the sale)
- AC works
- front control arms and bushings replaced ~4 years ago
- power steering rack replaced ~4 years ago (motivated other suspension upgrades
- Interior is in fair condition
- Nearly all parts and service items purchased from IDParts

The not-so-great:

- front door handle is sticky. I have adjusted it once with favorable results but it is sticking again. Car can still be opened with the right touch. I can send a photo of the assembly if desired. It's not as bad as lots I've seen (yet).
- rear wiper motor does not work
- rear windshield washer motor works, but the plastic diverter is missing and it shoots water straight back away from the car.
- Front windshield washer motor seems to just have stopped working and I haven't done any troubleshooting yet. Could be clogged lines.
- Front left control arm bushing is clunking a little over speed bumps and probably needs to be replaced.
- some rust around the front window and on the undercarriage and a 6" diameter spot on the front door.
- windshield is cracked and is likely to get worse over the winter.
- Burns ~1 quart of oil every 10k miles
- Diesel smell in the cab at a stop light, even on recirculate. I replaced the felt in the blend doors a few years ago, but apparently didn't do a great job.

The bad:

50% of the time driving at highway speeds up a hill it goes into limp mode. I turn the car off and back on during the downhill and turbo picks right back up, but it is annoying to start a hill at 65mph and crest it at 55mph. I have done some troubleshooting and it has been to a VW mechanic outside the Raleigh area who was not able to fix it either. This happens much more often if the oil fill level is towards the upper end of the range, but otherwise is fairly random.

Please email me separately for photos - I can take photos of anything you would like to see.

Asking $2000 - feel free to make an offer.

Hall
Raleigh, NC