heater core

gtrosema

TDI
2002 Jetta
I have a 05 Passat Currently has 2 issues. Apparently head gasket and after swapping the EGR cooler I found out the heater core seems to be stopped up? Has anyone had to flush their heater core and was anything used besides water?
I am going to try the Bars engine head gasket sealer but think I need to address the heater core first.

Thoughts?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
look on u tube, they back flush the heater core with something like vinegar. They use a pond pump, run some hoses into a bucket and back flush, just let it run for a ffew hours. This may do the trick?

gtrosema

TDI
2002 Jetta
I got out there today and had some flow but not as much as I thought I would. I will try that pump, saw where they used some CLR.
Also looked at the replacement video does not look like fun.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I didn't want to mention your troubles if you had to replace it, been there done it. Don't forget pump it backwards.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
I got out there today and had some flow but not as much as I thought I would. I will try that pump, saw where they used some CLR.
Also looked at the replacement video does not look like fun.
I've done the clr with a ford taurus and it worked

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
My mechanic used CLR full strength using a shop pump he rigged: a lot of GPM sloshing back and forth. Cleaned it until the thing worked again, and got some stuff that would crawl up a wall if you slung it