DIY ECU tuning?

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Dakta said:
There isn't by any chance a sinlgle value switch to kill limp mode? (generally speaking)

Might be pushing the boat out a bit with that one, but could do with a bit of a 'blank canvas' for bench 'experiments'.
Possibly. I think there is maps for limp mode. You can edit those although its a better idea to just change/fix what is causing limp mode (like the boost limit).

Dakta

Veteran Member
TDI
Non Vag :(
How about 'having half the sensors disconnected because I'm using the coolant temperature axis to control the central heating in mad dakta's labatory' for a cause? :D

I think it's easier to just kill the limp mode... :p my idea was probably neither realistic nor practical, but it was an idea nontheless!

Last edited:

Dakta

Veteran Member
TDI
Isn't that interesting!

I'm a bit of a questioner when it comes to things like this. I'm good at asking 'why?'.

'No dakta you cannot cook toast with your ecu!'

'It has high power switching circuits, with mapping for temperature response. SO WHY NOT!?'

Get an ecu, set all the maps to zero. There's your canvas picasso now paint. There's absolutely no reason I suppose for doing this, but if there's something you want to control and the immo can be removed, as can pesky fault codes, then why not? who wants to sit up all night soldering pic processors to control something an ecu can do off the shelf?

Another tuning question I always wanted to ask, but never dared....apparently the 8051 processor used in the msa11 series of ecu's can have it's code on external memory. (no **** sherlock I hear you say). Now here's the real 'out of the box' thinking...doesn't that mean if you found out what output went to the engine management light, you could....program your own engine lightswitch rave?

I know this all sounds silly...I'm a very curios man!

Last edited:

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
I've used a Galletto fine recently, although I don't do any of the mapping myself. I do actually want my car to work. :D

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02
VW engineering (Bosch also) config each byte of ecu with good reason, no chance left...
You have 2 major zone in TDI ecu, the software and the config.
The tuner do all work in config zone and the config zone are very very full of detail to personalize ecu react, CEL, sensor, vagcom data, etc...
Start ecu from zero... you need a good software config book (description and map of all config), engine dyno and many hundred hours of test on dyno!

Dieseleux

Dakta

Veteran Member
TDI
yeaj....i had a feeling the idea was pretty crazy. It's sometimes nice to have mad ideas though :)

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
So just messing around I realized the RPM limiter is on the pedal map. Provided you have enough fuel and boost and your engine holds you can change the map to go as high as 5800 RPMs or even 6000. You might need a lot of work & $ to get that high though. The camshaft won't hold too long...

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
DJGonzo said:
So just messing around I realized the RPM limiter is on the pedal map. Provided you have enough fuel and boost and your engine holds you can change the map to go as high as 5800 RPMs or even 6000. You might need a lot of work & $ to get that high though. The camshaft won't hold too long...
Don't forget the two torque limiters and the single digit limiter ;)

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
vwmikel said:
Don't forget the two torque limiters and the single digit limiter ;)
Thanks! I think that would need to be modified accordingly too.
Do you know up to how many RPM's an almost stock engine can go safely without blowing up?

How I wish I had two TDI's so I could just blow one up tuning it and not having to ask questions :D

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
DJGonzo said:
Thanks! I think that would need to be modified accordingly too.
Do you know up to how many RPM's an almost stock engine can go safely without blowing up?

How I wish I had two TDI's so I could just blow one up tuning it and not having to ask questions :D
I've written 6000 RPM tunes, but against my better judgement (I see no reason why I couldn't push them higher). I don't think I feel comfortable spinning it much past 5000 RPM. The engine just doesn't make power at that RPM anyway though so it seems kind of pointless.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
TDIJetta99 said:
they'll go pretty high... FYI, the cam isn't the first thing to pop from sustained high rpm on an ALH..
Then what is? A rod?
vwmikel said:
I've written 6000 RPM tunes, but against my better judgement (I see no reason why I couldn't push them higher). I don't think I feel comfortable spinning it much past 5000 RPM. The engine just doesn't make power at that RPM anyway though so it seems kind of pointless.
I think a little more than stock is nice but you're right, 6000 is probably pushing it.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I'm running a completely stock bottom end with 237k on it, ported head, stock cam, valves, and valve springs.. It pulls really strong right to the fuel cut at 5850 or so.. it slams off of the limiter like a gasser, LOL... I guess that says time to shift haha.. I'm currently driving it a lot more abusive than normal to see what breaks first.. I'm guessing something in the trans will give out before the engine comes apart..

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
TDIJetta99 said:
I'm running a completely stock bottom end with 237k on it, ported head, stock cam, valves, and valve springs.. It pulls really strong right to the fuel cut at 5850 or so.. it slams off of the limiter like a gasser, LOL... I guess that says time to shift haha.. I'm currently driving it a lot more abusive than normal to see what breaks first.. I'm guessing something in the trans will give out before the engine comes apart..
I'm sure it is better with a ported head, but everyone out there seems to think that your TDI grows a V-Tec when you slap on a 17/22. :rolleyes:

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
TDIJetta99 said:
LOL, let me know how that goes haha
vwmikel said:
I'm sure it is better with a ported head, but everyone out there seems to think that your TDI grows a VTEC when you slap on a 17/22. :rolleyes:

Lol I just saw this in another thread and I bookmarked it cuz I knew it was gonna come in handy.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
TDIJetta99 said:
Hahaha... It seems to freak out around 3200rpm, but the turbo is definitely a little on the way too small side...
Actually, me, being completely stock except for nozzles with the MAF & Evry mod at around 3200 - 3400 it kinda feels like something kicked in like my two stroke dirt bike when it is in high RPMs. You can feel like it starts pulling really hard till 4000 like a two-stroke kinda thing. Its weird cuz I'm not used to the VTEC garbage but oh well. Its fun either way :D
- End hijack

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
it should kick in full force between 1800-2000rpm with the stock turbo regardless of mods... Make sure your turbo actuator is working properly and isn't starting to get sticky..