HPFP malfunction totals my 2013 Passat TDI SEL

2013PassatDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I feel sick and abused by VW of America. Had my beautiful Opera Red TDI SEL towed to my local dealer in Deerfield, Illinois. They said it was a bad fuel pump

need 6,000 out of my pocket to fix. Has extended warranty to cover. Dealer was willing to fix under the extended warranty but VWoA wanted a sample of my fuel. I failed their "fuel test". They sent me a picture of a test meter with a frownie face.

Anyone else experience this kind of treatment by VW o A. Seems I've had to fight for every fix to date. This one I will fight also.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I feel sick and abused by VW of America. Had my beautiful Opera Red TDI SEL towed to my local dealer in Deerfield, Illinois. They said it was a bad fuel pump
need 6,000 out of my pocket to fix. Has extended warranty to cover. Dealer was willing to fix under the extended warranty but VWoA wanted a sample of my fuel. I failed their "fuel test". They sent me a picture of a test meter with a frownie face.
Anyone else experience this kind of treatment by VW o A. Seems I've had to fight for every fix to date. This one I will fight also.
What was wrong with the fuel? Water or ?

That's a big expensive repair. I'd pay for my own diesel fuel test to verify. Just show up and take a sample from the tank. If it's water, it probably collected at the bottom of the tank.

If you sign up for PC you get 25% off so probably worth it. Amsoil has diesel fuel testing but I think Polaris labs actually runs the tests. https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/oil-analysis-services/

With your own analysis and proof you can also go after the fuel vendor. If they sold you bad fuel and you have a CC receipt then it's their responsibility. Small claims court if they refuse to take responsibility.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I cry BS. Where did you purchase your current tank of fuel? I agree with CleveUserName, follow the trail. Careful with the fuel vendor...bypass the clerk, who won't know anything, and ask for the manager/owner. If it's a top tier fuel vendor, even more reason that VW's claim of bad fuel is bogus.
Good luck. Keep on...

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
that means wherever you got fuel last pays the 6k, no if's about it.
There is atleast one IF.

IF the OP had just filled up his tank (IE less than 20 miles ago) it is a possibility of fuel contamination.

IF there are other diesels that filled up at the same station and had fuel system problems

IF you can get the store manager or owner to admit fault.

But if the OP had filled up a week ago and had driven 200 miles since, I highly doubt it would be paid for by the station.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
VW specifically said B20 was allowable in states tht mandated it. It DOES cause damage. Seen it and repaired many of them. Usually failed injectors on the Passat. They need to send you a lab analysis, not some blotter paper test. Blackstone labs does them they are a few hundred dollars. Fuel damage like this is covered under your insurance. Seen many carriers pay the claim. Lots of options here.