Real World MPG with DSG

MarkB

TDI
2012 Passat
I took a weeks vacation to Myrtle Beach a couple of weeks ago. Filled up on a Monday, drove to and from work thru Thursday then drove to Ashland, Ky for the night. Stopped for fuel in NC and drove on to Myrtle Beach. Left Myrtle Beach and stopped for fuel in WV after a week in Myrtle Beach. I didn't record average MPH, but was probably about 58 MPH on first tank. Averaged 41.93 mpg. Second tank again didn't record average MPH but was probably close to 65 mph. Averaged 46.27 mpg.

Difference in mpg can be accounted for in the first 4 days of tank one driving my daily 60/40 highway/city drive to work of 24 miles round trip.

Best part of the drive, the seats are great. If it wasn't for getting hungry and then needing to stop to get rid of the iced tea that I had at lunch, I or the coffee I had for breakfast, I would not have needed to stop, the seats were just that comfortable.

Sbieshelt

TDI
Jetta passat
We have 11k on the car and our last 4 tanks mileage has been 47,49,47,51. All calculated, looks great to me, these were with 2 adults 2 kids and a trunk full of backpacking equipment. This is better than I have been able to get out of my 04 jetta.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
One interesting thing about the statistics of DSG owners and 6M owners: their driving conditions. Most 6M owners do not have as much city driving in their commutes. The city drivers tend to favor the convenience of not having to shift and manage the clutch so that's what they purchase. This skews the data. The DSG seems to be getting wthin 10% of the FE under similar driving styles and conditions.

Anyway...I filled up today
2 weeks old, 1147 odo
616 miles
16.3gal
37.8MPG

Liberal use of boost and engine torque as desired. :) No complaints.

Last edited:

Niner

duplicate account, banned
One interesting thing about the statistics of DSG owners and 6M owners: their driving conditions. Most 6M owners do not have as much city driving in their commutes. The city drivers tend to favor the convenience of not having to shift and manage the clutch so that's what they purchase. This skews the data. The DSG seems to be getting wthin 10% of the FE under similar driving styles and conditions.

2 weeks old, 1147 odo
616 miles
16.3gal
37.8MPG

Post it up on Fuelly.com

Niner

Not sure I want it in my signature, but:

All that matters is that you are happy with the numbers you are generating for MPG. Not a lot of 6MT's in there, now that I look at it.

Last edited:

Paulsfin

TDI
2012 vw passat tdi
My mfd on regular commutes runs an avg of 41-44mpg. Paper calculations runs 36 to 38mpg. That's with a 42 miles commute to work running about 3/4 of that through highways. The paper calculations are done every fill up with the amount of gas put in and the amount of miles driven on the last tank as that seems to be the only way to see how much fuel was used, unless anyone can suggest a better calculation method. Hope it helps.

Niner

My mfd on regular commutes runs an avg of 41-44mpg. Paper calculations runs 36 to 38mpg. That's with a 42 miles commute to work running about 3/4 of that through highways. The paper calculations are done every fill up with the amount of gas put in and the amount of miles driven on the last tank as that seems to be the only way to see how much fuel was used, unless anyone can suggest a better calculation method. Hope it helps.
Your's is still running, on gas? :rolleyes:

Learn to think in terms of "fuel", not gas, before you misfuel... er misgas and wreck a $8000 HPFP system on your nickle, Vw doesn't warranty those kind of mistakes.

Sinetv

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW 2013 Audi Q7 TDI

2 weeks old, 1147 odo
616 miles
16.3gal
37.8MPG

It's 100% right, most somewhere in Canada or some province village.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
For my 2600m trip to FL, averaged 45.1mpg, temps were 55-85f. Highway portions (figured with paper and pencil at tank re-fill) were 46.1 going south, 48.2 going north...must have something to do with the magnetic pull...I always thought I'd get better mileage going south, as it's downhill:D...

emmkayJuan

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI's, Porsches, & Unique Bits
For my 2600m trip to FL, averaged 45.1mpg, temps were 55-85f. Highway portions (figured with paper and pencil at tank re-fill) were 46.1 going south, 48.2 going north...must have something to do with the magnetic pull...I always thought I'd get better mileage going south, as it's downhill:D...

Nice! What would you guesstimate as your average highway speed?

Tragick

TDI
Passat 2012
I typically drive like an animal, doing between 80 and 90 mphs. Last tank (16.5 gallons) I on purpose drove around the 65 mphs speed limite and average 43.5 mpgs as opposed to my 38.5 mpgs when I drive like a loon. 13k miles since December 23....moving right along!

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
I drove 60 miles on the highway this morning - the trip computer says that I averaged 46.9 mpg.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice! What would you guesstimate as your average highway speed?
Probably 68mph. Sometimes set the cruise at 69-70.

The 45.1 average included the highway miles AND 600 miles of rural driving around Bradenton/Sarasota...some bumper to bumper...

Team TDI

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG - First 5000 miles

My first 5000 miles included a 1000+ mile round-trip from PA to NC and 4000 daily commuter miles.
Mostly 80/20% Highway, average commute speed is ~60mph with many stretches of 80+mph. 47 miles of turnpike (toll, limited access) and ~10 miles of in-town on each end. Very few hypermiling tactics, I drive it like I stole it.
I almost always use DSG in "D" position for freewheeling downhill on highways, in-town/traffic I usually use "S" or Tip gate.
Terrain varies, Southwestern PA Appalachian foothills.
Average daily commute: 44mpg
Best Tank: 42.2mpg
Average combined MPG: 39.4mpg
Average City MPG: 30.4
More detailed stats are tracked on Fuelly.com. See my profile here or in my signature image. https://www.fuelly.com/driver/teamtdi/passat

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
TomB, go to your Fuelly account Dashboard. Click on this small icon:
Copy the text in the BBCode box and paste in a post or your signature.

Team TDI

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
51 MPG Average on Commute!

This morning I convinced myself that I would not exceed 70mph and would not use the cruise control.
Usually I drive 75-85 with a mix of cruise and "hand-flying" depending on traffic.
My average commute is approx 20 miles of 2 & 4-lane secondary roads and about 50 miles of limited access toll (PA Turnpike) road.
At the end of my turnpike stretch my trip MPG was 52.1. Usually I see numbers in the 43-45 mpg range. Trip time was no more than an additional 5 minutes. Average speed was 2-3 mph less than normal.

My conclusion is that the extra 10-15mph gains you very little in time saved. Maybe it would make a big difference on a longer cross-country trip. The end result was a nearly identical commute time & avg. speed and approx 7-8 mpg more.

I'll be filling up and trying to run a whole tank at near-speed limit speeds to see if I can average close to 50mpg.
BTW, my 2012 Passat TDI SE DSG is just over a month old with slightly over 5000 miles on the clock. I'm hoping to do better in the coming months after an oil change and break-in is complete.
Thanks,
Adam

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Team TDI: Analysts have been saying for years that the additional 5-10mph in speed doesn't really gain a whole lot of time, for most trips. Yes, on longer trips, it can make a difference, but at what cost? Think of the fuel savings if everyone cut back 5mph?

Break-in won't be "complete" until 30k +, according to the experienced folk here. MPG should continue to slowly climb, as well as hp numbers.

Team TDI

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
tdiatlast: I always knew that slowing down would save a few MPG at the expense of a few minutes on the ETA. I guess I was excited to see almost a 10MPG/25% increase.

So that begs the question of the TDI experts: What's the "sweet spot" of speed vs MPG? I'm assuming that somewhere under 55-60mph there's a point of diminishing return.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
This morning I convinced myself that I would not exceed 70mph and would not use the cruise control.
Usually I drive 75-85 with a mix of cruise and "hand-flying" depending on traffic.
My average commute is approx 20 miles of 2 & 4-lane secondary roads and about 50 miles of limited access toll (PA Turnpike) road.
At the end of my turnpike stretch my trip MPG was 52.1. Usually I see numbers in the 43-45 mpg range. Trip time was no more than an additional 5 minutes. Average speed was 2-3 mph less than normal.

My conclusion is that the extra 10-15mph gains you very little in time saved. Maybe it would make a big difference on a longer cross-country trip. The end result was a nearly identical commute time & avg. speed and approx 7-8 mpg more.

I'll be filling up and trying to run a whole tank at near-speed limit speeds to see if I can average close to 50mpg.
BTW, my 2012 Passat TDI SE DSG is just over a month old with slightly over 5000 miles on the clock. I'm hoping to do better in the coming months after an oil change and break-in is complete.
Thanks,
Adam
On drives of several hundren miles or more that extra 10-15 mph is worth the cost in fuel. You can cut hours off a longer drive making distances crossable in one day instead of taking two days...........

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You bet it is. 10 MPH increase in average speed over a 1000 mile drive saves about 3 hours. That can make the difference between getting somewhere in a day or stopping overnight.