Rear view mirror?

DanisTDI

TDI
Passat 1997 Black Met
Anyone know where to get a rear view mirror for a 97 Passat? My dog hit it and broke it off.

DanisTDI

TDI
Passat 1997 Black Met
Well My dog hit the acctual mirror and the piece that "pivots" around the ball broke.

xsamx

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf Black
[FONT=&quot]Wow, what are the odds.

I had this exact same thing happen minus the dog.

A dump truck was in front of me and had a lot of dirt and rock rubble in the bed.. A golf ball sized rock came flying out of the bed and hit my windshield...
Right smack dab in the center of where the mirror mounts.
The mirror went flying though the interior and landed in the back seat. I replaced the windshield and bought a new mirror from the bone yard.[/FONT]

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
DanisTDI said:
Anyone know where to get a rear view mirror for a 97 Passat? My dog hit it and broke it off.
__. Yeah, mine's the same ... a little too enthusiastic if she sees other dogs around.
'

DanisTDI

TDI
Passat 1997 Black Met
How do I get the Old piece off; The piece connected to the windsheild.

Thanks

ScorpionBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
mine is not here, so i can't look. buy you can leave the puck that is glued to the windshield. just take off the rest of the arm. should either slide off with a pop or there is a set screw you loosen. haven't had to play with the vw one yet so i am not sure which.

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
use a 5/8" wrench or whatever size it is, and apply a tiny bit of twisting motion. There is a special tool at auto glass shops, it looks like a 5/8 wrench.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
It rotates around the ball mount. It sometimes takes a bit of force to remove the mirror.

I have an A4 mirror, but unsure if it is the same. Several folks are parting B4s in the classifieds.

DanisTDI

TDI
Passat 1997 Black Met
so it just twists off? Ive tried twisting it but it seems pretty tight.