jhax's Built ALH into a MK2 Golf thread

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Thank you, I appreciate the comment. I was suspecting an oil galley, that is promising. Which pressure sender are you going with? Obtaining the oil feed and drain lines have been a battle. Turns out the first feed line I got was an -AN 5, I asked a local shop to make is shorter for me, he ended up cutting the line, and not being able to find the correct part and ended up making me a new one. I have been told my the local hydraulic shop that they could braise new stainless steel braided line onto my old solid steel drain line that came with the turbo, but after looking at Michael's (digital corpus) issues with his frankendrain line, I think I will just have them build me one with the proper ends. I have the car scheduled to get painted in a few months, however, I am hesitant with getting the body pained first. I NEED to get the undercarriage needle scaled and redone and I would like to get the engine bay painted first, just because it makes sense. I can drop the motor into the fresh bay and save up for body painting down the road. I have the needle scaler, just not the rotisserie to flip the car on its side nor the air tank that will handle the scaler. So I need to see if I can call around or look on CL or something.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Needle scaler....? You’ll be there for days. Those are good for the tight areas, traditional tools can’t get in.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a few of the 4.5” angle grinders for $10 per. Buy some 4.5” knotted wheels and some stringer wheels. These will burn through the undercoating.

Use your needle scaler, if there’s stuff the above can’t get.

You can build a tipsorie, for about $100, or a rotisserie, for about $200. Not really sure what you’re looking to achieve.

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Interesting, I have not heard of a tipsorie, I cant seem to find one online. Is that a misspell? I may be able to pull it off with the space I have. When you say 4.5” angle grinders for $10 per, do you mean sanding disks?

Thanks!

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Todd, thanks for the clarification. I got hung up on the $10 grinder, since it's the disks that typically cost $10, I have a dewalt angle grinder already. I actually do have plans on paper for a wood rotisserie, although that is a viable option, I don't know if I would have the space in my garage as I share a two car garage with the neighbor on the other side of the duplex. I see now, a tipsorie allows you to tip the car while it's on the ground, as opposed to a rotisserie, where the car is already in the air. Thank you for the clarification.

These are the plans I originally found...

http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.php?55005-Wooden-car-rotisserie-plans

This one seems a bit more compact:
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4054816-85-Coupe-Build&p=52622006&viewfull=1#post52622006
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4054816-85-Coupe-Build&p=52849640&viewfull=1#post52849640

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had 3 name brand grinders and I got tired of swapping different wheels, brushes, etc. buying more grinders and having them all plugged into a single power striip, sped up the work. Way more convenient.

I use the $10 grinders all the time. For the metal work I do, they’re perfect. I also stopped buying the name brand consumables. I can’t really tell a huge difference, for the huge price difference.

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for the help. Luckily I got mine for no money, borrowing it until I don't need it anymore. But I will definitely look into it. On another note, after much trial and tribulation, I finally sourced my turbo oil feed and drain lines!

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I have moved on to the LSD installation. I found out a way to remove the 5th gear T60 torx bolts.

Take one of these spring loaded auto adjust wrenches.

Cover the input shaft with a cloth or t-shirt and stick the wrench through the timing observation hole or starter hole at the top or side of the bell housing.

While holding the final drive/output shaft housing part of the trans down, place the breaker bar on your chest and lean forward.

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Would an impact wrench work there too, or it would be risky for the transmission?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, an impact is okay to use. I just don't have access to one in my current situation.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Trans open, LSD installed.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What diff did you choose? I’d think there’s a way to lock forward and reverse gears, so you wouldn’t need to grab the input shaft and risk damage.

On a scale of 1-5 how would you rate the installation difficulty? Last time I opened a 020, it didn’t go well. I had the wrong tools and was working on the ground, on a rock parking lot, behind a pizza shop... a milk crate was my work bench.

Even if you don’t have a compressor, go cordless. They’re becoming the standard. I can’t recall the last time I used my pneumatic air guns.

-Todd

Joshua020

TDI
Golf 7
What diff did you choose? I’d think there’s a way to lock forward and reverse gears, so you wouldn’t need to grab the input shaft and risk damage.

On a scale of 1-5 how would you rate the installation difficulty? Last time I opened a 020, it didn’t go well. I had the wrong tools and was working on the ground, on a rock parking lot, behind a pizza shop... a milk crate was my work bench.

Even if you don’t have a compressor, go cordless. They’re becoming the standard. I can’t recall the last time I used my pneumatic air guns.
recommend reading this brentwood home post
-Todd

I have the same question

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I would give it a 1-2, although I did not have to drill out the old open diff and attach the LSD to the final drive gear. It already came attached. I used this guide (see page 4 for locking the transmission). I didn't understand that part when I first read it. I ended up finding a Peloquin for a great price. Todd, sounds like you had a whole lot of fun opening that trans. That does not sound appealing at all.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Jhacks, that looks like a stock diff and stock rivets. Locking the gears to remove the 5th gear bolt is well documented and the only proper way to do this. Anyone reading this thread, do not use this method of holding the input shaft.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
You are absolutely correct! That is the photo I took after opening the case. Ill get the one I meant to get up there later today. I apologize for showing incorrect methods.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow, I haven’t heard anyone mention Phantom Grip, in probably over a decade, lol.

I’ve run a couple Quaife ATBs and it functions basically the same as the Pelicans. Get used to driving it... it can make for some scary scenarios. I’d like to try a Wavetrac, next.

Thanks for the link. I’ll need to go through it.

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I've heard it's a six in one half dozen in the other scenario. I mean I picked this diff up for $650 so I'm not going to complain.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
This is how much fun I have been having...

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
This is how much fun I have been having...

those rear beam bushings aren't bad with tools. i like to use a hacksaw blade to make a slit in the bushing after air hammer chiseling the middle rubber out, then using it again to push through the whole thing to the other side. i have used threaded rod and bolts/sockets to make jigs for the new bushings to go in.

i have one of those bearing kits to that i haven't used for it but i bet i could make some of that work. but i don't. i have also been afraid to use impact gun on something like this so i do them by hand.

the 85 i have doesn't have the torsion bar on it, can i add it or do i need to get another beam? not even sure what i need as far as those go, i don't have one on the front either.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I ended up getting a 7/16" threaded rod and a couple nuts from the hardware store. I ended up renting a "hub loosening" kit, basically 4-5 2+" sockets that attach to a 1/2" ratchet/breaker bar. I will have to look at the rear axle on my 86, I don't think it has to torsion bar either, the one pictured is from a mk3. As for adding a torsion bar, I have seen this before. I cant imagine why you wouldn't have a front sway bar. I found this little gem if you want to do some reading up on the subject.

I got the front sub frame together yesterday. I am using a mk3 k frame and b4 control arms. After putting everything together I noticed the pass-through holes to access the holes that bolt the k frame to the body were not lined up. The pass through holes in the b4 control arms are further forward than the holes in the k frame. I hope this wont affect the wheel geometry. I went with b4 control arms due to their beefier size. The track from ball joint to ball joint is roughly 56".

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright, I would like some input. I believe I'm going to go with the vr6/g60 SBC stage 2 daily. My aim is a torquey fun daily. I bought a .658 and I am wondering based on what I have if a pinion support is necessary. I got some good input from john Jackson. However, at this point, the trans is the weak point.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
However, after looking at this post, based on his equipment, I may need a more robust clutch. Although that is a ballpark figure.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
.658 has arrived

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
All closed up and .658 in place. Now it goes in storage until the next phase.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright, rust assessment. Passenger floorboard and jack stand are done. Looks like I'll be ordering floorpan from kegs. A couple spots with pitting in drivers front and passenger rear. I took a dremel and sander to those areas at low speed to see how bad the damage is. I think they are salvageable. I sprayed distilled vinegar on the areas, waited a bit for science, scrubbed them with a steel wool. I will continue with this process until I'm satisfied. All of the OEM tar stuff came off with a manual scraper luckily. Likely due to the fact that it's cold.