www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 8th, 2018, 08:00   #1
EspElement
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: St Louis
TDI(s): Jetta
Default 06 VW Jetta Hypermiling Journey

Hello guys! I got my first VW car this weekend and am excited about its future. 06 Jetta 2.0T, 127k miles, new tires, great condition for 2,900 here in the St Louis area. I do not have a TDI though, so please keep that in mind I am on GAS.

I am hoping to utilize the slap stick to grab more MPG's out of it. I have a scan gauge II which still gives me more information than just MPG that I will be doing for trials.

I had a Ford Escort previously, and there was a bunch of mods to improve MPG (resistor on the air intake temp, engine block, lighter oil etc..). Is there any known mods that we can do that may squeeze any extra MPG's out of one of these? So far, I have not found as much following for this car as my last car so I will have to dig with you all here and other places.

First thought, can I run 0-20 in this car to reduce resistance? Thoughts on this? I ran this in the escort for 50k+ miles and it never cared, though they asked for 5-30... Lol

Thanks!
Joshua
EspElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 09:41   #2
Windjammer
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cinti, OH
TDI(s): MK4 & Mk5
Default

Trade it for a TDI & your fuel economy issues will be solved.
__________________
00 Jetta TDI GLS Auto Black w/Beige leather, Phatbox
06 Jetta TDI Shadow Blue w/Beige Pkg 2 DSG W/NAV & Phatbox
06 Jetta TDI Blue Graphite w/Grey Pkg 2 DSG W/NAV & Ipod dock
06 Jetta TDI White w/Beige Pkg 2 DSG
06 Jetta TDI Black w/Beige Pkg 0 5MT
Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 10:01   #3
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member
 
Lightflyer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Default

You are in the totally wrong place. You might try VWVortex.
__________________
How to post pics:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...t=post+picture
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 11:17   #4
tomo366
TDI Lifer
 
tomo366's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1997
Location: Kensington, Maryland USA
Default

WOW just WOW......
__________________
My page is Dedicated to the Memory of
Christopher Farnham RIP my friend!
Great friend and supporter of TDICLUB
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 11:58   #5
SilverGhost
Veteran Member
 
SilverGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Old Hickory, TN. Settling here...
Default

'06 is BPY (timing belt T-FSI). I would not mess around with oil - just put the correct stuff in it. Make sure the chain (between cams on driver side of engine) and tensioner are in good shape - I have seen the tensioner wear block break in half and the chain rub in pin until it goes BANG! Make sure the follower for the high pressure fuel pump is not worn through.

I have seen these engines get high into the 30's MPG (IE: 36-38), but then why buy the performance model to get MPG? These cars like to be "driven" and will start to fail sooner if your "baby" it for MPG.

OilHammer is in St Louis area and specializes in these cars. Might be a good idea to see him and get the car a once over.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 12:11   #6
eddieleephd
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Asheville, NC
Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspElement View Post
Hello guys! I got my first VW car this weekend and am excited about its future. 06 Jetta 2.0T, 127k miles, new tires, great condition for 2,900 here in the St Louis area. I do not have a TDI though, so please keep that in mind I am on GAS.

I am hoping to utilize the slap stick to grab more MPG's out of it. I have a scan gauge II which still gives me more information than just MPG that I will be doing for trials.

I had a Ford Escort previously, and there was a bunch of mods to improve MPG (resistor on the air intake temp, engine block, lighter oil etc..). Is there any known mods that we can do that may squeeze any extra MPG's out of one of these? So far, I have not found as much following for this car as my last car so I will have to dig with you all here and other places.

First thought, can I run 0-20 in this car to reduce resistance? Thoughts on this? I ran this in the escort for 50k+ miles and it never cared, though they asked for 5-30... Lol

Thanks!
Joshua
You should look up vwvortex forums for a gas powered VW

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
__________________
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Wuzetem p.520 PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 20:33   #7
EspElement
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: St Louis
TDI(s): Jetta
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
'06 is BPY (timing belt T-FSI). I would not mess around with oil - just put the correct stuff in it. Make sure the chain (between cams on driver side of engine) and tensioner are in good shape - I have seen the tensioner wear block break in half and the chain rub in pin until it goes BANG! Make sure the follower for the high pressure fuel pump is not worn through.

I have seen these engines get high into the 30's MPG (IE: 36-38), but then why buy the performance model to get MPG? These cars like to be "driven" and will start to fail sooner if your "baby" it for MPG.

OilHammer is in St Louis area and specializes in these cars. Might be a good idea to see him and get the car a once over.

Jason
Thanks for the reply Jason! I am getting around 36 MPG on my commute here in the cold. Planning to check the timing belt, change the DGS fluid, and check the hfpf cam to be sure it is in check. Thanks for the reference for me locally, I may consider, though I have a buddy who is itching to have fun with these projects listed above, though he works at Toyota.

I guess I am in the wrong place, but VWVortex didn't have as quick of replies like you guys have already. Was just hoping to spark conversation about it.

Thanks guys!
EspElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2018, 12:12   #8
eddieleephd
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Asheville, NC
Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspElement View Post
I guess I am in the wrong place, but VWVortex didn't have as quick of replies like you guys have already. Was just hoping to spark conversation about it.
Thanks guys!
The FAQ at vortex is what you need. And you should check out the search engine for the best results.
https://cse.google.com/cse?q=+&cx=01...44:_idbzjdyxdm

The forum here is definitely much more responsive I agree.
__________________
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Wuzetem p.520 PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
06 vw jetta fluxcore VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas 0 December 18th, 2017 12:47
My 03 Jetta Journey - Complete Engine Bay Overhaul jon-.- Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery 13 February 15th, 2014 23:18
Hypermiling the Jetta TDI - bad for it? BC_Jetta TDI Fuel Economy 2 October 9th, 2008 06:03
Help on Wednesday needed for the Jetta gasser post x-c journey Haiku TDI Eastern USA 18 June 21st, 2007 10:24
Biodiesel-fuelled VW Touaregs to run in Alaska - South America journey TDIMeister TDI News/Tech 30 May 24th, 2006 14:29


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.16180 seconds with 12 queries
[Output: 89.93 Kb. compressed to 78.01 Kb. by saving 11.93 Kb. (13.26%)]