ALH MPGs timing

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
From past experiences, what is the best timing for maximum fuel mileage????? Don’t care about more power, just maximum MPG. Want to hear opinions. thanks

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The top of the timing graph in VCDS is said to be good for both MPG and power.
As is going up a size in nozzles if they're new. You can also adjust the IQ.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Between spot on and advanced timing. I haven't noticed significant differences between factory perfect and on the line advanced, with a new and healthy fueling system.
If tuned, you should set it on spot on timing, because the tuner will raise timing already

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Between spot on and advanced timing. I haven't noticed significant differences between factory perfect and on the line advanced, with a new and healthy fueling system.
If tuned, you should set it on spot on timing, because the tuner will raise timing already

I’ve always thought and read it’s the other way around. When tuned, you want to be in the upper range of the timing graph near the green line, and iq adjusted accordingly.

Bajan

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I got my best mileage numbers when static injection timing was set near the top line on the graph and then set the adaptation numbers near the max. (I do have Sprint 520 nozzles, if it matters much). Managed some 900 mile tanks with those settings)
Have long since gone back to more conventional settings when I started to occasionally do some towing with the TDI.

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
Best IQ setting and timing for stock engine. No injectors or tune, just plain stock.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Conventional wisdom says close to the green, but like most conventional wisdom.....oh well.
Here is a very thorough thread from an old vet.
TDI Timing Revisited - TDIClub Forums
IQ likes to be around 2.2 all stock. Spec is 2.2 to 9.0.
Both have a pretty wide range and can also be modified using Adaptation.
Both are going to change dynamically by the ECU.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
I’ve always thought and read it’s the other way around. When tuned, you want to be in the upper range of the timing graph near the green line, and iq adjusted accordingly.

Bajan
When the tuner does a proper and correct job on the timing maps, you do not need to add timing to their timing maps by fidgeting with the adaptations or static timing.

Raising it by adaptations or static will also raise the minimum possible timing value (when you raise the ceiling you also raise the floor), so you lose dynamic range.
Dynamic range is great when you take advantage of it properly.