EGR cooler issue

mhintlian

TDI
03 Golf GLS
Utilizing a EGR cooler bypass kit several years ago I have not used the EGR cooler other than to connect the turbo exhaust to the EGR to remain complaint with California emissions. Nevertheless, my EGR cooler is now leaking exhaust through the coolant inlet and outlet which gets into the cabin of the car. Short of having a special pipe fabricated to just connect the turbo exhaust to the EGR, I noticed that there were several block off plates available some with a hole for the turbo exhaust and would this hole somehow connect to the EGR, I'm confused. My initial question is if I just block off the turbo exhaust and the the bottom of the EGR will there be an issue with the error codes? I could remove the EGR and go with a straight pipe however part of the California smog check is a visual inspection of the engine bay so the technicians are now savvy to where to look and what to look for. So the EGR has to stay.
Should I get a plain block off plate for the turbo exhaust and the bottom of the EGR? Or has anyone cobbled together the upper and lower EGR pipes to eliminate the EGR cooler entirely? Bear with my ignorance but just want to remedy the exhaust in the cabin issue.

Thank you in advance

Matthew Hintlian
2003 Golf IV GLS
370,000 miles original owner.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
If you're blocking off the cooler then how are you being "compliant" with California emissions standards?

There's little benefit from removing the cooler. And as you're finding out there's a downside. Just get a used one, install it correctly and drive as you should; no more worries about having to look over your shoulder (and zero guilt from having to pretend that you're in compliance with emissions).

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Block off the exhaust to the cooler with plates. You might want to block the coolant flow through the cooler too, since it sounds like you have a leak in the heat exchanger.
Keep the hardware in place for visual inspections.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I will never understand why people in this situation would mess with block off plates.

Put it all back to stock. If for whatever reason you want the EGR flow reduced, do it with software. The hardware, all intact and ready to work and visually installed and looking as it left the factory, can just remain along for the ride if you want.

The tuners now can actually use the EGR cooler to better help the engine come up to temp faster. It really is wise if you are subject to visual checking to leave it all in place.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I can't believe the OP posted all his personal info for all to see. CARB watches this board, it's been proven in the past...