Rear right arch knock/rattle

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Got a light knocking rattle sound from the rear right arch area, not the strut mounting.
This is my 3rd mk4 to have this noise and I figured this time I'm going to get to the bottom of it lol

Anyway Google just brings up the usual shock mount or axle bushes so not really helping.
I'm wondering if it could be a filler pipe issue or similar.

Anyone had this and figured it out?

Cheers

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
Passenger side with the fuel filler? Only unique item I'd blame would be the fuel filler or the overflow drain. That or you've coincidentally had multiple cars that had debris in the fender storage compartment.

Those after my best guesses.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
How do you know it's not the mount, or the shock in the mount? My last 2 cars developed a knock and the nut on the shock rod had loosened ever so slightly, or the mount had compressed.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My right rear strut mount felt solid in my hands and I had a really annoying clunk from "that area" every time I went over a bump or crack in the road. I replaced the strut mount and damper and the problem went away.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I had this same annoying rattle on my daughters beetle. I even rode in the back while she drove down the road. I was pulling interior panels because I thought something had come loose behind the panels. Nope, turned out to be the strut mount. There is a rubber bushing inside the mount. Hers was shot.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Replaced the strut mount and shock, replaced the mount twice, once with febi and now with lemforder, swapped the rear shocks left to right, no change.

It's on really light bumps, the sort you don't even hardly feel like an uneven tarmac surface but not pot holed.

It's really bizarre, my first wagon had it but very quiet, my second one a hatch back was louder and now this third one is also doing it. It has to be related to the filler pipe or fuel door release solenoid, it's all I can think is in that area.

When your up to speed cruising you don't hear it at all, even above say 20 mph you're lucky if you hear anything!

But yeh, I've dealt with worn struts, mounts, axle bushes etc. This is definitely another noise and more obscure lol

I was just hoping someone else had come across it and fixed it so could shed some light on exactly which part it is. I live up a very rough farm track so it could be that it's that has rattle something loose.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That or you've coincidentally had multiple cars that had debris in the fender storage compartment.

Those after my best guesses.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
First thing I checked lol, last golf had a broken bulb rattling about in the tail light and I thought it might've been that but no

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Exhaust or related heat shields? The holes for the muffler heat shield rusted away; so I eliminated that and the muffler as well.

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
My best suggestion now would probably be to sit in the back of the car and have someone else drive it. It could potentially be the drain hose to the sunroof, or an exterior panel that's not tight.

It could also help to try and narrow down what type of motion causes the noise, whether it's up and down or side-to-side.

I'm guessing you've also checked under your floor board for any kind of loose parts including the stick that holds the floor up when you're underneath there?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Well, seeing some good ideas.
Any way you can reproduce the noise in the driveway/garage?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Only time I hear the noise is on old tarmac that's a bit worn and only going slow. Rear axle bushes are done, rear springs, shocks, mounts etc.

Everything is clear in the boot/trunk area, I even pad it all out with blankets etc to prevent anything rattling and something to lie on if I need to check under the car when out and about. Quite prepared lol

Exhaust is on the left, UK car. Heat shields have been dealt with but it's not a heat shield sort of noise.

Think I'll need to rope my brother in so he can try stuff while I sit in the drivers seat, get him to wiggle the filler pipe etc. That's what family is for right :D

Steve140

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 & 2011 Golf TDIs
I had this problem and it was my jack rattling around on the spare tire in the trunk. Drove me nuts trying to find the problem.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I had this problem and it was my jack rattling around on the spare tire in the trunk. Drove me nuts trying to find the problem.
Possible, but for most people there is a styrofoam cradle for the jack and tools that then lay in the middle of the tire rim. I guess you don't have that.